Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - New release of cross-platform library libcv / libcvu

Reply to topic
New release of cross-platform library libcv / libcvu
Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 pm
Today I released a new version of my cross-platform libraries libcv and libcvu.

The libraries and tools are designed to make it easy to target multiple Z80-based platforms in a game. They originally started out as tools for ColecoVision development, but now also support the Sega 8-Bit systems. Typically, games written for ColecoVision will just work on the Sega 8-Bit systems, except for input (Sega doesn't have the keypad), and games written for Sega SG-1000 will just work on the ColecoVision and the other Sega 8-Bit systems. Using the full power of the more advanced systems, like the Sega Master system, usually takes a bit more effort. But I have written cross-platform games that do so (when run on a Mark III or Master System they use slightly better graphics than when run on a ColecoVision or SG-1000).

http://www.colecovision.eu/ColecoVision/development/libcv.shtml

Included in the libcv / libcuv tarball are eight simple demo programs, that show how this cross-platform support works. From a single source, both a ColecoVision version and a Sega version is compiled.

The main goal of this new version is compability with newer SDCC. It is meant for use with 4.0.0 and later; unlike the previous release, it also works with SDCC 4.1.12 and later. Some functions hand-written in asm for performance long ago have been reverted to C code, since SDCC now generates code as good as the hand-written asm for them.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:43 pm
That's a pretty great library; some time ago, I had used it as a target for Bitsy-Converter and, as you mentioned, LibCV makes it pretty easy to recompile the game for each supported platform, as long as no platform-specific features are used.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:22 am
I first came across your library on 8bitworkshop.com

It seems pretty feature complete, I'm not sure how it compares performance-wise to devkitsms for eg.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:11 pm
There was a bug in the previous release, where support for SDCC post-4.1.12 broke compilation on earlier SDCC (such as the current SDCC 4.1.0 release).

It is fixed now:

http://www.colecovision.eu/ColecoVision/development/libcv.shtml
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!