Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game gear Inverter getting hot

Reply to topic
Game gear Inverter getting hot
Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:08 pm
Hello all! Brand new to the forum but an oldie when it comes to sega. I just have a question and I didn’t find a spot when I did the search. Sorry if it’s been answered. I have a game gear that I just recapped and put in a retro six power board. After all that my game gear worked perfect for about an hour. Then the screen started to flicker and then went off. Once I opened it I found the inverter coil was hot. My question is I am doing the clean screen mod and I was wondering if I can just remove the inverter all together? Any help would be great.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:37 am
Mike1jag wrote
Hello all! Brand new to the forum but an oldie when it comes to sega. I just have a question and I didn’t find a spot when I did the search. Sorry if it’s been answered. I have a game gear that I just recapped and put in a retro six power board. After all that my game gear worked perfect for about an hour. Then the screen started to flicker and then went off. Once I opened it I found the inverter coil was hot. My question is I am doing the clean screen mod and I was wondering if I can just remove the inverter all together? Any help would be great.

The instructions for the clean screen mod will ask you to remove some parts. From memory it was a couple of resistors and the drive transistors. That basically just disables the inverter without removing all of the associated parts. You can remove the transformer if you like, but no harm leaving it there either. I think they went for removing the most minimal number of parts required approach to make it easier to do.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:13 pm
That’s what I was thinking also. Thanks for the response!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!