SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Advanced Pico Beena

Reply to topic
Advanced Pico Beena
Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:49 am
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Sega Beena console; it works in stand alone mode (audio is working) but no way to make video out.

On the PCB there is just 1 big chip named:
JAPAN
9H0-0008
SEGA TOYS LTD
0527 270 E1

and a RAM chip IC42S16100

Unfortunately I do not have the original video cable (it has a proprietary connector) so I would like to make a more common one but I cannot make the video out: This is the pinout I found out:

Audio is working but absolutely no video out... is the console broken ? Can it be a PAL/NTSC issue ? (usally I see b/w pictures with NTSC hardware but now absolutely now video, just a black screen).[/img]

The big chip has 210 pins with very narrow pin space so it is hard to track down the possible connector pins there... any hint about how to check where the video is coming out to dig some problems ?

On the oscilloscope I have a video-similar signal on the second pin but only if I keep my finger on it, otherwise it goes to zero?! Very strange and in any case I can't see an image on the crt or on an lcd with composite vga adapter. The other pin is a 3v3 when the device is on... maybe the original cable has some hardware on it ?

This is a picture of the original cable i found online:
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:05 am
My guess is that the pin with 3.3v on it is possibly used to sense when the av cable is plugged in. Theres probably a resistor inside the connector on the av cable that pulls that pin to ground.. or something along those lines. It would make sense to disable video hardware when its not needed.. being a battery powered device.

Try using a 4.7k resistor to short it to ground and see if it starts outputting
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:15 pm
wasup wrote
My guess is that the pin with 3.3v on it is possibly used to sense when the av cable is plugged in. Theres probably a resistor inside the connector on the av cable that pulls that pin to ground.. or something along those lines. It would make sense to disable video hardware when its not needed.. being a battery powered device.

It all makes sense ! I will try, thank you very much !!
Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:21 am
wasup wrote

Unfortunately no good results... tested with 4.7k, 3k and 1k resistors; with 1k music goes off from both external (speaker) and internal audio out (this seems not to be a good thing) but with all resistor values no video out. I will try to buy an original cable.
Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:30 pm
asper wrote
wasup wrote

Unfortunately no good results... tested with 4.7k, 3k and 1k resistors; with 1k music goes off from both external (speaker) and internal audio out (this seems not to be a good thing) but with all resistor values no video out. I will try to buy an original cable.

Just bough a "lite" version of the console (2008 - 1st edition was 2005) with video and power cables, they (consoles) both works with the same tv cable so there must be something else inside the quite big white video output proprietary connector... any hint about how to understand it without destroying it ?

EDIT:
This can be the 1st Pico Beena "Lite" console PCB picture of the web:

The only difference seems to be the RAM chip (both 512K x 16Bits x 2 Banks Synchronous DRAM from different manufacturers) and no shield in the Lite.

The following one is the "original" version:

40 05 and 31 08 (print on the PCB) seems to be production week / year.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!