Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Alex Kidd 3 - Curse in Miracle World

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:27 am
Already sent!!!
Wonderfull christmas with this and paprium :)
Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:27 pm
Hi Yeti,

Great work on your release. I do have a question. Do you plan at any point to make hopefully any more copies of your game in the future. Whether that's yourself, or through some sort of publisher?
Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:12 pm
A massive thanks to Yeti!! Im to excited to open it! Thank you!!! :d
20201219_121154.jpg (1.53 MB)
20201219_121154.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:55 pm
Like many other ones I missed the chance buying one if the games myself. But as I really REALLY want the game I thought about what I could do.
So here is my offer: If anyone is willing to sell the game to me I pay 200 Euro for it.

Now I know there is a bitter taste in making profit of somebody else work.

For that reason I would not only pay 200 euro to the seller but I would donate another 150 euro to Yeti if someone sells the game to me.
So noone needs to get a bad feeling about making profit for it on the back of Yetis work as he would got the exact amount himself.
I hope thats fair for everyone and noone feels disturbed with this post in any way.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:09 pm
Last edited by Yeti Bomar on Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rezer -> No more copy. To be clear: it's not my license.

Raistlin -> Thanks for giving this game such a high value, but this hack is not worth this price.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:37 am
Would it be possible to release the final version digitally now? I'd love to play it, but of course it's impossible to save states on the normal cartridge.

Thank you...
Any plans to purchase a digital release. I loved the demo.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:30 am
Any plans to purchase a digital release. I loved the demo.
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:57 pm
The digital version will be free and coming soon (February 2021)
Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:22 pm
Today i have received Paprium and Alex Kidd 3 Curse in Miracle World...
I have had more illusion opening the AK.
Tomorrow unboxing and gameplay :)
Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:01 pm
Yeti, congrats on the work. It looks amazing!

I'm just another one that arrived too late but if (a long if, i know...) you made another batch, please count me in for a copy.

Thanks
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:54 am
Mine arrived on Monday!

I only had time to give it a couple of tries, but it feels great! :-D
Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:41 pm
Great Job, Great Game.

Thank You Very Much!!!
Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:27 pm
I saw on Ebay, sales of copies of AK3. I remind you, AK3 is open access and that it is a non-profit fan game.
I strongly condemn unscrupulous salers who loot my work and make illegal profits. The buyers will have only vulgar copies which will never be originals and their act is as reprehensible as that of the sellers.

This type of practice can be considered theft and a scam, no more and no less.

For information, the person who sells these copies is on the forum and is not at his first attempt.
Ebay.jpg (756.16 KB)
Ebay.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:31 pm
It seems increasingly important to add things to the game to discourage this sort of thing.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:50 am
Unfortunately yes....

I will take some time during my holidays to identify every mapper calls in the original AK rom and change them for future production.

Plus it should be mandatory to add a little protection to every future rom (made with kidded or not)
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:35 am
I personally don't care about protection, if you sell a game for ever and for a good price, nobody will make fake one for sale. The only ''fake'' Duke Nukem I saw since the game is out (2017) is from a guy on Instagram making lot of strange/bad cartmodding.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:47 am
Yeti Bomar wrote
I saw on Ebay, sales of copies of AK3. I remind you, AK3 is open access and that it is a non-profit fan game.
I strongly condemn unscrupulous salers who loot my work and make illegal profits. The buyers will have only vulgar copies which will never be originals and their act is as reprehensible as that of the sellers.

For information, the person who sells these copies is on the forum and is not at his first attempt.

Hello Yeti, I can understand your excitement about the sale on Ebay.

But please think about why this happens. You are making a wonderful game that many people not only want to play but also want to have in physical form. You then publish the game in physical form, with a very limited edition.

I can understand if you don't want to make any more games from it because the effort is too much for you and legal problems can arise.

Please put yourself in the shoes of the players and collectors who unfortunately did not get a game, like me. Of course, these people will try to get a copy somehow, regardless of whether it is the official version or a fake one.

I don't find it particularly fair to condemn these people. You say yourself that it is not your license and so in my opinion you are not the one who should throw stones at people who love you for creating this wonderful game and also want a copy.

Unfortunately, as you can see, you will not be able to prevent others from earning money with it now.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2 also produced more copies here in Germany with the blessing of Ian for players and collectors and sold at cost price via a forum. But even this game is currently being sold on Ebay.

So please be a little more relaxed.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:24 pm
Benne wrote
Yeti Bomar wrote

Hello Yeti, I can understand your excitement about the sale on Ebay.

But please think about why this happens. You are making a wonderful game that many people not only want to play but also want to have in physical form. You then publish the game in physical form, with a very limited edition.

I can understand if you don't want to make any more games from it because the effort is too much for you and legal problems can arise.

Please put yourself in the shoes of the players and collectors who unfortunately did not get a game, like me. Of course, these people will try to get a copy somehow, regardless of whether it is the official version or a fake one.

I don't find it particularly fair to condemn these people. You say yourself that it is not your license and so in my opinion you are not the one who should throw stones at people who love you for creating this wonderful game and also want a copy.

Unfortunately, as you can see, you will not be able to prevent others from earning money with it now.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2 also produced more copies here in Germany with the blessing of Ian for players and collectors and sold at cost price via a forum. But even this game is currently being sold on Ebay.

So please be a little more relaxed.

I agree with your points. There was a limited run made and other players are willing to pay for a non-original copy.

With that said, I do find there to be some ethical issues with selling these represses on ebay. It would be better if the ebay seller contacted the author of the game and tried to come to a profit sharing agreement. I know for some old games this is impractical; but in this case I think it makes sense.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:39 pm
I spotted this on eBay recently and also Etsy as well but the prices they are asking I can tell you I have other fish to fry for that sort of money I can tell you. Who's buying them for those prices?
Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:29 pm
Maraakate wrote

I agree with your points. There was a limited run made and other players are willing to pay for a non-original copy.

With that said, I do find there to be some ethical issues with selling these represses on ebay. It would be better if the ebay seller contacted the author of the game and tried to come to a profit sharing agreement. I know for some old games this is impractical; but in this case I think it makes sense.

The problem is, Yeti doesn't want others to make any more copies.

A German who has already made other copies with the consent of Ian from Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2 and sold them at cost price, has already asked Yeti whether he can do some of part 3 as well. But Yeti has forbidden him.

Therefore there is no legal way to get the game in physical form and so there will always be an illegal way if there is a demand for something.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:40 pm
The problem is, Yeti doesn't want others to make any more copies

Damn, that's not a PROBLEM, that's the author's choice. Limited run are... Limited.
Be happy he has already make them. Originally it was only 25 copies... Only for our french board.

I will try to speak / exchange ideas with Yeti if we can find a way to stop stupid eBay prices with these brainless sellers.
Please wait some days.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:01 pm
Last edited by Yeti Bomar on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
The physical production made it possible to close this project. Over time, I tell myself that I should have made a small batch just for close friends.

Come to think of it, I apologized to disgruntled people, I was stupid.
I'm telling you bluntly, some behave like spoiled children having a big whim because they don't have their toy.

Buying mediocre copies for a "true" collector makes no sense.

I didn't do this fangame to exacerbate the frustrations of fanatic collectors, I did Alex Kidd 3 for the players.
I repeat: for the players.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:37 am
Benne wrote

Therefore there is no legal way to get the game in physical form and so there will always be an illegal way if there is a demand for something.

People need to be disabused of the notion that any of this is legal. Selling binary patched ROMs and physical materials with derivative artwork is a copyright/trademark violation in basically every country on the planet—anywhere that's a party to the Berne Convention. Now, I personally don't have any problem with any of the fan-made stuff, but let's cut out the sense of entitlement to things we have no LEGAL right to.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:44 pm
kmg wrote
Benne wrote

People need to be disabused of the notion that any of this is legal. Selling binary patched ROMs and physical materials with derivative artwork is a copyright/trademark violation in basically every country on the planet—anywhere that's a party to the Berne Convention. Now, I personally don't have any problem with any of the fan-made stuff, but let's cut out the sense of entitlement to things we have no LEGAL right to.

To play devil's advocate... isn't AK3 essentially a very elaborate and complex rom hack of AKIMW? Technically that can be considered copyright violation in the US at least.

Either way, we're talking about games that are 30 years old. Also, to yeti: in the Vectrex homebrew world there is at least one person who manufactures games for author homebrew authors at cost or close to it. This has helped make it so an author can make a special limited run and people who just want to play it can buy it fairly cheap. See: https://www.packratvg.com/vechbrews.html

He does not deal in SMS; but maybe he could as he has branched out to other systems. If it is something that interests you. If not, I understand. I have never made a homebrew game, but I have made some custom controllers for Vectrex users and they sold out quickly and it was very time consuming just to do a small handful. It can be annoying and difficult to do it all yourself when each one is done by hand. I could only imagine doing it for a homebrew game that has proper packaging.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:59 pm
Maraakate wrote

To play devil's advocate... isn't AK3 essentially a very elaborate and complex rom hack of AKIMW? Technically that can be considered copyright violation in the US at least.

Yes, and in the US everything you make using KiddEd is a "derivative work". Without a license from Sega it is a copyright violation to distribute or sell them, even in patch form. But fret not! Given AKIMW's 1986 publishing date we'll all enjoy unencumbered use of the ROM when it falls into the public domain in Dec. 2081!
Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:50 am
3rd copy of the game on auction, I will not publish the link
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!