SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - my suggestions

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
my suggestions
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:38 pm
I really like shions idea of having user written reviews and a user rating system. In order to eliminate people from voting more than once, we could have people log in.

Also I prefer shions color scheme more. Omar's color scheme is very good as it follows smspower colors. i beleive the entire site needs reworking, colors and all. especially the forums. all this will come in time im sure.
  • Site Admin
User reviews / Colors
Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:40 pm
> I really like shions idea of having user written reviews and a user rating system. In order to eliminate people from voting more than once, we could have people log in.

We'll definitively have a rating system. I might be presented differently to users, but it will be there.

As for "user written reviews", the idea would be to have the site contributed by users, but in a controlled maneer (things will have to get validated, or maybe certain regular contributors will be able to publish content directory).
Takes ANY PAGE from alexkidd.com and you'll understand why we don't want free user addable data.

Instead of having twenty 10-lines reviews, we could have a reviews guideline and have a single review that could be edited/improved on a regular basis if needed? Just throwing ideas.

> Also I prefer shions color scheme more. Omar's color scheme is very good as it follows smspower colors. i beleive the entire site needs reworking, colors and all.

Shion's SMS based color scheme seems too dark to me. That whole red/dark things might not be suited, all big websites have bright colors ;)

I agree the site needs reworking, that's what we're doing, and your help is welcome. I think I got used to the colors we have, and with subtle variations (here) it looked cool to me. But I might be wrong and I'm certainly biased on that subject.

> especially the forums. all this will come in time im sure.

I'm working on the forum, but I'm not sure which forum script I want to use. I want to avoid having a forum cluttering with animated gif, signatures and 3d smiley, if you agree with me. I like the way this forum shows thread, but certainly it lacks a proper searching feature (that I might be able to add soon) and new message notification.
  • Site Admin
Re: User reviews / Colors
Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:13 pm
> As for "user written reviews", the idea would be to have the site contributed by users, but in a controlled maneer (things will have to get validated, or maybe certain regular contributors will be able to publish content directory).

I agree 100% on that one.

> Instead of having twenty 10-lines reviews, we could have a reviews guideline and have a single review that could be edited/improved on a regular basis if needed? Just throwing ideas.

This however im not sure on. I like the idea of being able to read differnt opions of the game rather than one gigantic review. for example.. i know your feelings towards james pond II are much differnt than mine :P its nice to see what individuals like in a game.

> Shion's SMS based color scheme seems too dark to me. That whole red/dark things might not be suited, all big websites have bright colors ;)

Good point, we will just have to keep tring differnt things and see what works.

> I'm working on the forum, but I'm not sure which forum script I want to use. I want to avoid having a forum cluttering with animated gif, signatures and 3d smiley, if you agree with me. I like the way this forum shows thread, but certainly it lacks a proper searching feature (that I might be able to add soon) and new message notification.

Im gonna have to agree here on this one. NO animations, signatures and smileys. The one thing i have always loved about this forum is that it loads quick. i can log in and read what i need to and leave. searching would definitly be a plus. my suggestions for the forum would be to maybe add a few more topics. our general topic is too general. this is just a quick thought that popped inmy head, so maybe once i read this back it wont be so good ;)

im sure the traffic here will increse once everthing is done and it would be nice to have a section dedicated to trading. some place that we can maintain a list of what we have and what we want. something along those lines. ive noticed that there really is no real good place for sms game trading on the net.

My technical skills are considerably lacking in the web area and coding. but i am more than happy to contribute anything i can to the site.
Shion
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:57 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

User reviews would definitely have to be moderated in some way. User accounts, as you have suggested, would be my preferred approach for all user-contribution-type sections. Perhaps it could be the same login as used in whatever forum ends up getting used?

I like the idea of having user reviews in addition to one or more "editorial" reviews written by staff/selected contributors.

Forums- I strongly favour the "single page for all posts"-type approach (UBBoard, vBulletin, etc.) as opposed to the "page per post" approach of this one we're using now. Someone mentioned PHPBB (www.phpbb.com)- is this a viable option? Things like avatars, signatures and smileys could probably be disabled- I agree that clutter should be kept to a minimum.

Colours- how about user-selectable colours? This would be viable if the site involves user accounts, right?

-Shion

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!