Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Mark III JP to Master System Power Base adaptor

Reply to topic
Mark III JP to Master System Power Base adaptor
Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:57 am
I'm sure this has been done before but can't find the adaptor listed for sale through ebay etc. or a file on PCB websites.

I was looking at playing Mark III JP games on the Euro Master system power base. I think that the BIOS v2.0 would allow this.
There are adaptors allowing Mark III to play on the mega drive and EURO power base to the Mark III JP but not the reverse, any help would be appreciated.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:02 am
Last edited by L10N37 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
They're for sale but gold fingers are expensive on a PCB likely driving the price up.

For this price i would simply get an everdrive as they're about 40 bucks now (AUD) or grab a copy of a game with a separate mapper to suit and drop in your EPROMs. To fit a socket you will have to cut the shell.

edit* sorry misread, mega everdrive will do the trick or a master everdrive through the powerbase, or still the 2nd method of hacking master system games and putting the MKII rom it through your powerbase.. as for BIOS wouldn't have a clue on the MD ones.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:04 am
Adding a header for option 2 isnt difficult.
There's also the prototype BIOS that Asynchronous recently hacked. Get version 4 if you go this route
Thanks
Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:29 am
Hi thanks for that I think the everdrive is going to be the easier option, Cheers
Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:22 pm
L10N37 wrote
They're for sale but gold fingers are expensive on a PCB likely driving the price up.

For this price i would simply get an everdrive as they're about 40 bucks now (AUD) or grab a copy of a game with a separate mapper to suit and drop in your EPROMs. To fit a socket you will have to cut the shell.

edit* sorry misread, mega everdrive will do the trick or a master everdrive through the powerbase, or still the 2nd method of hacking master system games and putting the MKII rom it through your powerbase.. as for BIOS wouldn't have a clue on the MD ones.

Where are you finding Master Everdrives that cheap? Cheapest I can find is ~$60 USD from eBay which ships from Spain.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:46 pm
Fake everdrives are that cheap, if you order from Asian sellers directly, but consider that buying clones undermines the market for more advanced devices in the future.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:06 pm
It's also possible to build an adapter not requiring a Japanese BIOS.
A small CPLD can act in a similar way the PLS153 chip (315-5242 ref.) does in the Power Base Converter. It would present itself as a 32kB ROM, with correct header ("TMR SEGA", region check, checksum) then swap to the cart ROM.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!