SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sonic Genesis for Master System v1.05

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Sonic Genesis for Master System v1.05
Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:51 pm
Last edited by slogra on Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:32 am; edited 12 times in total
Direct link to the latest version: https://www.smspower.org/forums/download.php?id=22095

Preorder the physical copy by Révo: mmmrevolution@gmail.com

Sonic Genesis for Master System v1.05:
This is my attempt to make the Master System version of Sonic to look and sound more like the Genesis/Megadrive version. The graphics of all zones have been replaced, including sprites. The music has been replaced as well.
I like the gameplay of the Master System version, so i kept the gameplay exactly the same as the original Master System version.

How use this patch:
The ips patch must be applied to the Master System version of Sonic the Hedgehog
- Unpack both the original rom and this patch
- Use Lunar IPS to apply the patch to the rom (it will overwrite the original rom)
- Play!

Special thanks to:
- Maxim
- Warranty Voider
- ValleyBell

Credits:
- SEGA
- Front facing Robotnik and torpedo based on artwork by Ace Spark

Link to the STH1EDWV level editor by Warrenty Voider and Maxim:
https://github.com/maxim-zhao/STH1EDWV

Link to this hack:
https://www.smspower.org/Hacks/SonicTheHedgehog-SMS-Genesis-Mod

Version history:
v1.05
A few small changes
- Added water and mountains to the title screen
- Removed the easter egg to create space for the title screen graphics
- Improved Star Light song in ending medley
- Slightly improved Labyrinth music

v1.04
Many small changes
- Improved some of the music
- Added invincibility music
- Improved title graphics
- Improved Robotnik
- Slightly improved the Sonic sprite
- Changed some projectiles
- Changed background color of map and credits
- Fixed typo in Spring Yard
- Fixed disappearing blocks when rolling over them in Spring Yard and in Scrapbrain
- Made the Sonic icon consistant in all screens
- Many small background improvements (Green Hill, Marble, Labyrinth, Scrap Brain, Bonus, Final Zone)

v1.03 beta 6
Major changes of all graphics and music
- Changed the background graphics of all zones
- Changed all enemies, bosses and most other sprites
- Changed title, score, game over and credits screens
- Changed most of the music
- Slightly improved the Sonic sprite

v1.02
- Fixed the shoetip (compressed tile)

v1.0.1
- Fixed the checksum
- Red shoes palette is included in main patch

v1.0
- First release (Sonic sprite only)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:53 pm
Last edited by slogra on Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:33 am; edited 3 times in total
Screenshots of latest version:
1_green_hill.png (3.65 KB)
1_green_hill.png
2_marble.png (3.04 KB)
2_marble.png
3_spring_yard.png (1.62 KB)
3_spring_yard.png
4_labyrinth.png (3.18 KB)
4_labyrinth.png
5_scrap_brain.png (1.83 KB)
5_scrap_brain.png
6_star_light.png (2.3 KB)
6_star_light.png

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:18 pm
Any difference between this version and the 1.4 of the other topic?
Thx
Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:09 am
Well, nothing major was changed. But if you look closely then you will see each frame has a couple of changed pixels. It should look more clean and more detailed now.

The thing is, i had to shrink Sonic by 80%. And resizing pixelart just does not give good results in any program. I used the most basic resize method which simply removes pixels, instead of blending, but it is obviously far from perfect.
After that i did many changes manually while looking at the original Genesis version. Version 0.1.4 was already optimized but this versions even more.
One thing i was never satisfied with was his mouth and blue dot under his eye, but i believe i (finally) found the best looking solution for that now.

I hope you see some improvement :).

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:55 pm
Congratulations!!there is an amazing work!.Regards.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:24 am
v1.0.1
- Fixed the checksum
- Red shoes palette is included in main patch
- Other palette patches are full patches to ensure the correct checksum and must be applied to the original rom
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:47 pm
Page created ;) https://www.smspower.org/Hacks/SonicTheHedgehog-SMS-Genesis-Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:08 pm
Thanks Revo! :D
Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:08 am
I created a youtube video about your mod. I pointed for page created by Revo.

Congratulations.
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:45 am
I also made a little video:

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:22 am
Revo wrote
I also made a little video:

Your video is better. Thanks.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:10 pm
Last edited by Ershei on Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hi guys,I've added as a test these changes to the palette to make it even more like the Sonic of Mega Drive.and it's so nice ;).
Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:32 pm
Ershei wrote
Hi guys,I've added as a test these changes to the palette to make it even more like the Sonic of Mega Drive.How about you?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!
Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:05 am
That looks nice! I like the contrast between green and brown.
I was not planning to change anything else but the character. I suggest you create a separate patch with all your changes like background and rings. That way you can change anything you like without asking me :)
Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 am
Someone mentioned Sonic 2 in the youtube comment. I'll check out this game. If the tiles/frames are similar, which i expect, then it should be fairly easy to create the same patch for Sonic 2. Sonic 2 has 1 additional color to use, so it can look slightly better.

I already checked out Sonic 1 for GG. The frames are twice as small as SMS (16x24 vs 24x32), so it is very different and there are very little pixels to work with, so i have no plans for this version.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:51 am
I looked at Sonic 2 (i've never played this game) and it is actually quite different. It has many additional animation. Like walking the loop and other animations that are not in the Genesis version.
It will need a lot of work...
Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:22 pm
slogra wrote
That looks nice! I like the contrast between green and brown.
I was not planning to change anything else but the character. I suggest you create a separate patch with all your changes like background and rings. That way you can change anything you like without asking me :)

Hi Slogra.
You should not worry, I do not plan to create a patch. It was just a little home experiment as a test. Sorry if I have bothered you, it was not my intention. And the rings already came like this, I just retouched the background.
Best Regards.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:56 pm
Here are some more screenshots with red shoes as the default color now red.
death.png (5.91 KB)
death.png
duck.png (4.74 KB)
duck.png
roll.png (5.67 KB)
roll.png
run.png (5.75 KB)
run.png
stand.png (5.2 KB)
stand.png
walk.png (5.48 KB)
walk.png

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:55 am
v1.02
- Fixed the shoetip tiles in the jump (jumppad) frame. These tiles are stored in the rom using compression.

Sonic Genesis For Master System
Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:53 am
Last edited by ThatDamnCatgirl on Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
This is a very nice way to play Sonic 1 SMS. I wonder how they'd look in the sequel or if you want more colors to be able to work with then Chaos. I have included some mockups of how the sprite could look. Though do take it with a grain of salt.
selection (1).png (7.24 KB)
I messed around with these a little using aproximated palettes. Two has some tweaks to make it closer to the genesis, Chaos has the shine like the Genesis version of Sonic 2 along with the eye shape, Though for shits and giggles I also did Triple Trouble.
selection (1).png

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:32 pm
I'm glad you like it. Those mockups look great.

It's too bad i could not use more colors in Sonic 1.

If i use lightblue in stead of light grey then i have an extra blue available, like you first mockup. I prefered to use grey for his socks and gloves though, like sonic on the genesis.
Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:16 pm
For the past few weeks i've been working on a new version. In this version i've changed a lot of stuff besides Sonic himself.
I wanted to release a version much earlier but new ideas kept popping up while working on it. Working around the size/compression was challenging, and at times very limiting, so i had to abandon some ideas, but most stuff i wanted is in there.
Right now, i'm happy the way it turned out, and i probably won't do any major changes.

I wanted this to be a surprise so i won't mention further details :). I'll post some screenshots, but at a later time.

Let me know what you think, and if you find issues.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:57 pm
I tested the new version. I liked it. I like how you change the bonus stage to spring yard zone bonus. The musics are great! You composed it?
I think that you can enhanced more the labyrinth zone. In the sky base zone you could add a star light zone music for 1st stage and change a bit the final stage music for have a heavy note. But is only suggestion.
Good work.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:22 am
Thanks for checking it out and thanks for your suggestions.
I thought about changing Jungle to Spring Yard, but the bonus levels already had some spring yard elements in it, so it went for that.

Based on Genesis music i created new tunes with only 3 channels and a noise (drum) channel. Some instruments/melodies had to go, but i tried to keep the most important ones.
At the time i already created such tunes just for fun. I had no idea how to actually make it work in the game. Luckily ValleyBell (creater of Sonic FM mod) gave me excellent directions on how to create music for this game. I basically learned everything for him. And info from this site: http://info.sonicretro.org/SCHG:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(8-bit)#Song_format
There is no tool to create music for Sonic, so i wrote the songs in hex by hand.

Sky Base 1 does look a bit like Star light zone and i would've loved to change the music to Star Light. However if i replace the music it would replace the music for the Scrap Brain stages too. Unfortunately there is no way around it, except by reprogramming the game. I have no experience with that though, so maybe someone can help me out here.
Also Star Light music is a bit more difficult to adapt to SMS, due to the bass notes used there. The SMS soundchip does not go lower than A octave 3, while Star Light lowest bass is a G.
I probably have to transpose the bass many octaves up. Or transpose all instruments 1 whole note up.

Unlike Sky Base the game already has different pointers for the boss and the end boss music. That's why it is possible to change the end boss separately (again thanks to ValleyBell).
Can you explain what you mean by heavy notes in the end boss music? Do you mean the heavy timpani drums? Also, the end boss fight music is a bit special, because the third channel is almost constantly used by the electric sound effect, so only 2 channel music can be heard.

What changes do you have in mind for Labyrinth?

Edit: i forgot to mention that the Marble music is not mine. It was already in the SMS game, but it was unused.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:10 am
Screenshots of v1.03 beta:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:13 am
I love how the new update looks for the screenshots of the new update! Very great!
Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:20 am
I just tested it... it was wonderful! Congratulations!!!
Won't you use the genesis rings I made? hahaha
Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:58 am
Just played this now on the Mega EverDrive X7 on my Mega Drive, loving the new sprite, graphics and music. Well done Slogra! The next thing it needs is an in-game sound test so we can listen to the awesome music you made.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:37 am
I thought about changing Jungle to Spring Yard, but the bonus levels already had some spring yard elements in it, so it went for that.

AhI This could be much better and you can change the bonus with just background from Sonic´s genesis.
Can you explain what you mean by heavy notes in the end boss music?

Well i will try explain and put my arguments in portuguese too.
In Genesis the final zone music create a tension atmosphere and when the conversion was made i think that this tension is lost.
Na versão Mega Drive o estágio Final zone criou uma atmosfera de tensão para o jogador, quando convertido para o master essa atmosfera ficou um pouco perdida.
Who knows change or put more bass tones. Something like this:

Not is exactly equal but would be interesting use the same tones. I dont know if you understood.
What changes do you have in mind for Labyrinth?

Unidasu could have a better design for example? I dont know if we need manage with SMS sprites limitation.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:17 pm
Thanks everybody!

EmuBoarding wrote

Won't you use the genesis rings I made? hahaha

I'll take another look at it. All the colors used need to be in the background palette, and i believe also in the sprite palette. There are a few levels like Scrap Brain that are missing the dark yellow color, so i'll have to use orange there. Size might also be a problem in some levels, as a more detailed ring will probably compresses less good.

Adrian wrote
Just played this now on the Mega EverDrive X7.

Thanks for testing on actual hardware. I don't have an EverDrive, so i'm glad you did. I'd love a sound test too, but i don't have the skill to make it happen. I don't know what the options are, maybe it'll be easier to make a standalone rom which only plays the music.

segarule wrote
AhI This could be much better and you can change the bonus with just background from Sonic´s genesis.

It'll be a bit harder to do. And the water will look very out of place. I might give it a shot some time later.

segarule wrote
In Genesis the final zone music create a tension atmosphere

I can't read Portugese, but i know what you mean. Honestly, due to the constant eletric sfx, i think all hope for an atmosphere is be gone, no matter how good the music is :p.
I can try a simple improvement by increasing the volume of the bass a bit.

segarule wrote
Unidasu could have a better design for example? I dont know if we need manage with SMS sprites limitation.

I'll give it a shot, but it will be a challenge. The 4 small balls consist of just 2 tiles of 8*8 pixels. I can't make them bigger than that. But the biggest issue will be size after compression. There is no room left, so if the news sprite turns out to be bigger compressed, which is very likely, then it won't fit.

I created a new Robotnik but i could not make him fit for the same reason :(.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:30 pm
I'm not sure if he's even still around, but, did you consider to team up with Kroc to help you overcome those technical difficulties? It's sad that you can't get to implement your beautiful vision of the game because of some issue with the compression, and while I can't tell you why, I'm sure he would be the right person to go to in this case.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:09 am
It is great all the work done for this!, are you still considering the squeezed graphics just like the original game, this fact would help the graphics a lot since seems there isn't enough rom to add more graphics, and Sonic don't fit with some badniks since they had to be as large as to add tiles besides of editing the collision of sprites.

Being faithful to original squeezed graphics would make things easier, by the way even in PAR (pixel aspect ratio) Sonic looks fatter than his 16bits counterpart.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:41 am
ROM hacking is often an exercise in working around existing packing of chunks of data. You have a few options:

1. Make sure all your replacements fit in the space of the data they are replacing. This is the default and is somewhat limiting, eg compressed data has to be no larger than the thing it replaces.
2. “Expand” the ROM, putting all new data in extra space you add at the end. You have to change all the references to the data to point at the new locations, and this can be tricky.
3. Use a tool to help pack the data into the existing space, by identifying all the data you are replacing, and all the references, and letting the tool try to make it all fit.

Whether you pick #2 or #3, there’s a big task to identify all the data - but Kroc’s disassembly seems to have all that done for you.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:12 am
There was a projectile from Buzzbomber in the Labyrinth sprites which is i removed to make a tiny bit a of space. After that I was able to squeeze in Unidus. This is the happy looking Unidus. I want use angry Unidus frame in Sky Base for some variation.

About aspect ratio:
Usually i make sprites as big as possible, filling all tile space and keeping as much detail as possible. The original jumping fish looked way too small for example.
Genesis Unidus is round so aspect issues will be obvious, so i made him 1 pixel thinner than tall. I also changed the orb in Bonus/Springyard in the new version.

Sonic himself is uncompressed, so i did not have to consider compression size. He should be the same in PAR, but i did much manual editing.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:43 am
Unidus in Sky Base

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:29 am
Skybase bomb
bomb2.png (3.72 KB)
bomb2.png
bomb1.png (4.02 KB)
bomb1.png

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:30 am
I used red for Unidasu in Skybase because green was missing in the palette.
If i change the palette Unidasu could look like this with a brown orb.

To make the projectile colors more accurate, i would need even more colors. I can steal red from the bomb making it a bit darker/uglier, but i there is no other color available. So would have to use grey.
bomb dark red.png (1.5 KB)
bomb dark red.png

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:34 pm
I realized both had to be darker. And switched the happy/angry one around.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:21 pm
Looking good!

There seems to be some missing collision in this section of Green Hill act 2, you can go into the wall in a few spots around here.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:31 pm
Thanks, good find! My mistake. Looks like i gave the tileblock the wrong function.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:14 pm
I hope this can be handy, first everyone knows the SMS has 256 horizontal pixels besides tthe SMS hardware displays those 256 pixels but stretched in a theoric 320 pixels on TVs.

The math for that stretch is a simple proportional calculation for backgrounds and sprites in tiles (1 tile = 8px):

Display horizontal size = Pixel horizontal size (8 px) / Pixel horizontal size (256 px) x Display horizontal size (320 px) = 10 px

Being a tile (8 px) equivalent to 10 px when the graphics are stretched to match 4:3 aspect ratio.

And the resolutions:

SMD 320x224 the correction to fit 4:3 aspect ratio is stretching the vertical resolution from 224 to 240 resulting 320x240*

SMS 320*x192 the correction to fit 4:3 aspect ratio plus a portion of the vertical overscan area is:

Display vertical res = Pixel horizontal res (192 px) / Pixel horizontal res (224 px) x Display horizontal res (240 px) = 205.71 px

* = stretched

Being the Pixel vertical res (192 px) equivalent to 205.71 px when the graphics are stretched to match 4:3 aspect ratio, so stretching the graphics on the SMS would be the resolution of 320*x205.71* + a portion of the vertical overscan area.

The graphics can look ugly in PAR but the advantage of using the stretching is gaining pseudo pixels without adding them to the tiles table besides that was the way meant to be displayed.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:16 pm
We could upgrade the engine even further to Sonic Chaos if we want this to feel like the Genesis version of Sonic 1 squeezed into a master system. But it does mean having to restart from scratch and having to deal with Tails along with other screwy things.

To keep things simple I say we upgrade the engine to Sonic 2 on SMS to get loops added.
Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:42 pm
ThatDamnCatgirl wrote

To keep things simple I say we upgrade the engine to Sonic 2 on SMS to get loops added.

That's not simple. Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 run on totally different engines because they are made by totally different companies. Also the Loops in sonic 2 only work in one direction and are hard coded into specific sections of levels (You hit a point and the CPU turns you in a scripted circle, the player doesn't control it.) They are a nightmare to get working properly if you change level layouts, to the point where most people (All?) just don't include loops in their sonic 2 rom hacks.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:20 am
I'm working on the the grass, trees and clouds in Bridge/Marble zone at the moment.

I'm not so sure about the clouds though. First problem is the lack of color, i just have no other colors to spare.
The other problem is that in many cases the clouds are not visible because they are too high in the air. Making the level a bit empty. If i lower them and you jump up, then you basically only see clouds, which is kinda ugly too.

What do you think?
marble-01.png (3.48 KB)
marble-01.png
marble-02.png (5.13 KB)
marble-02.png
marble-03.png (5.41 KB)
marble-03.png
marble-04.png (4.64 KB)
marble-04.png
marble-05.png (6.1 KB)
marble-05.png
marble-06.png (4.15 KB)
marble-06.png

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:04 am
As you have so few colours (3 I think?) maybe making them less detailed is the key. What if you were to make the clouds more like those in Sky High zone from sonic 2, that way you could dot a few about but also have a long continuous run of them across the top of the screen?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:04 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, but I want to make the clouds like the Genesis version. If that doesn't look right, then i'd better keep the original SMS clouds.

I've attached the latest version, so you can see how it looks while playing. The clouds are still work in progress though.

Other changes are:
Jumppads and slightly altered mountains in Bonus/springyard

And the changes mentioned earlier in this topic:
- Unidus
- Bomb
- Fix collision

And new music:
- Greenhill music made from scratch (instead of slightly altered original sms music)
- Marble music made from scratch (instead of music already in rom)
- Starlight music in Sky Base 2 (unfortunately it did not fit, so i had to cut some stuff, mostly the rests between notes. There are some solutions, like switch it around with another song, or move songs around in the rom, but i'll do it later)
- Boss music, slightly lowered volume of notes at the end

If you want to listen to the songs without playing the game, then you can use the memory hack by Maxim:
https://www.smspower.org/Development/MemoryHacks

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:15 pm
I'm still not sure about the clouds in Bridge/Marble zone. I'm gonna keep them the way they are in the original, for the moment at least.

Some other changes i've been working on:
- Blue water in labyrinth zone
- Red pipe and new door in Scrapbrain
- New monitor (had to change palettes and tiles all over the place)
- Dark blue line on the top of Sonic's head

What do you think about the blue line? Is it an improvement or not?
blue water.png (8.68 KB)
blue water.png
monitor.png (4.33 KB)
monitor.png
Sonic dark blue.png (5.99 KB)
Sonic dark blue.png

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:17 pm
slogra wrote
I'm still not sure about the clouds in Bridge/Marble zone. I'm gonna keep them the way they are in the original, for the moment at least.

I liked the blue line on Sonic's head.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:24 pm
slogra wrote

I think the line is an improvement. I'm not a Sonic expert, however. I took a look at your revamped monitor sprite, and it slays the original imo. Again, I don't remember much of the original, but looking at past screens, impressive.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:35 am
The monitor looks brilliant, a really good balance between the 8bit and 16bit graphic.
If you got rid of the fence in marble would it give you enough tiles to have some of those ruined pillars?

If you want to change the background in Jungle Zone to be different the Game Gear version has fruit and extra details.
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!