Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Looking for help on SMS light phaser schematic

Reply to topic
Looking for help on SMS light phaser schematic
Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:15 am
I found the light phaser schematic here and determined the ceramic capacitor locations and which parts I need to replace (a couple of them look like crap). But when I ordered the ceramic caps kit from Amazon (probably my first mistake) they came in much smaller, physically, than I expected. I'm not familiar with ceramic caps so I'm a bit confused here. Are there different sizes AND values that matter? Or will these ones that appear to be 1/4 to 1/2 the size of the originals still work? I don't want to just put it in and try because I'm afraid of frying the board.

I also can't find anything online about why they would be physically smaller. Has anyone here replaced the caps in their light phaser?
Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:40 am
Capacitor size (volume) is roughly proportionate to the total amount of energy they can store. So a capacitor rated for a lower voltage (for example, 6V instead of 15V or 50V) can be significantly smaller.

Ceramic capacitors, if they're not too small, often have the rated voltage printed on them. If yours do, you can see if this explains the difference.
Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:49 am
lidnariq wrote
Capacitor size (volume) is roughly proportionate to the total amount of energy they can store. So a capacitor rated for a lower voltage (for example, 6V instead of 15V or 50V) can be significantly smaller.

Ceramic capacitors, if they're not too small, often have the rated voltage printed on them. If yours do, you can see if this explains the difference.

Ok that makes sense. Like other components. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

These are the ones I bought because they would be here the soonest:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QJ9X8CZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_J0N26Y184C8CEDQ...

I don't see voltage rating on the cap or anywhere on the page, and the schematic posted here doesn't seem to list a voltage.

https://www.smspower.org/uploads/Development/lightphaser-schematic.png

Can anyone suggest a reputable place to purchase the correct values if I didn't get the right ones?

I need to replace one of the 100nf and one of the 4.7nf caps. I figured I would replace all of them but fear these are incompatible.
Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:33 am
Actually checked again now that I know every I'm looking at and it seems the caps I got are rated at 50v. I think that would cover the application inside the light phaser but I'm still doubtful. The cap doesn't say anything on it about rating. Just says 104 on it.
Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:26 am
Nothing in the phaser operates at higher than 5V. You should be fine with most options.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!