Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MSX to SMS Hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Revo
Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:38 am
Impossible to change colors, the only way is to make a custom VDP.

Revo
Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:11 pm
Interesting comment from Alex1975Br on Youtube:

In Midnight Brothers, there are map corruptions; I've figured it out playing for some minutes; If you want, I can send you the ROM file.
The isometric games need more RAM.
So, I will be skipping these games:

Midnight Brothers
Green Beret
Gun Fright
Night Shade
PlayBall
Space Invaders

Master System only have 8K of RAM at $C000-$DFFF and mirrored at $E000-$FFFF.
So, any game trying to use, for example, $C200 and $E200 for different purposes may glitch or crash at some point in time.

FYI I got Green Beret, Playball, Space Invaders running but only display title screen. Gun Fright and Night Shade are playable but half sprites are corrupted. So I don't think good conversion of theses 5 games is possible.

Revo
Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:07 pm
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Followed new conversion with Knightmare - Majyo Densetsu (Bootleg Pesadelo).

Revo
Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 am
Followed news conversions with Batten Tanuki no Daibouken (to start a game, press right controller#2 many times) and Happy Square Christmas.

And updates of Megaro Polis SOS and Puzzle Panic, now working on real hardware.

Revo
Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:53 pm
Proper conversion of Penguin Adventure with Konami logo.

Thanks to bsittler for his work on mappers.

Also including 2 patch to hack the game, you can apply multiple patch.

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:58 pm
Very nice to see Penguin Adventure here :) Awesome work guys!!
Is any chance the epic music of this game can be improved, for example, the first in-game track has some wrong notes (the really high pitched notes around the 7th-8th bar of the chorus)

best regards,
- dink
Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:06 am
You can show this to Alex. It's Galaxian on the MSX2SMS XELA BIOS.

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:19 am
Yet another one around. Pitfall II. And yes, it still has that death glitch in the third part of the land. Maybe he can fix it.

Revo
Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:05 am

From this pack, no new conversion. But some sound update, and 2 players controls.

Revo
Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:04 pm
Followed update (2players mode now working with 2 controllers) for Champion Boxing, Champion Kendou, Champion Pro Wrestling, Champion Soccer.

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:06 pm
Revo wrote
Followed update (2players mode now working with 2 controllers) for Champion Boxing, Champion Kendou, Champion Pro Wrestling, Champion Soccer.

I see nothing when I go inside it.
Revo
Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:20 pm
dink wrote
Is any chance the epic music of this game can be improved, for example, the first in-game track has some wrong notes (the really high pitched notes around the 7th-8th bar of the chorus)

best regards,
- dink

I'm not good at all with sound, maybe Stokes can give a look?

Stokes wrote

What's wrong with my conversion using CBIOS?

Stokes wrote
Yet another one around. Pitfall II. And yes, it still has that death glitch in the third part of the land. Maybe he can fix it.

My conversion with mute sound is working fine (here https://www.smspower.org/forums/16445-MSXToSMSHacks?start=550#116003 ) so maybe we can merge these two?

Stokes wrote
Revo wrote

Inside the zip archive? Working fine for me (using 7-zip).

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:22 pm
Revo wrote
dink wrote

best regards,
- dink

I'm not good at all with sound, maybe Stokes can give a look?

Stokes wrote

What's wrong with my conversion using CBIOS?

Stokes wrote

My conversion with mute sound is working fine (here https://www.smspower.org/forums/16445-MSXToSMSHacks?start=550#116003 ) so maybe we can merge these two?

Stokes wrote
Revo wrote

Inside the zip archive? Working fine for me (using 7-zip).

Well, nothing is wrong with your conversions. Just giving Alex some ideas he can come up with. Also, I will see if I can fix the sound.
Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:21 pm
Here's two more games for the XELA BIOS.

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:55 pm
Here are both Flappy Limited and Flappy Limited 85.

Revo
Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:06 am
Followed last entry of MSX Dev' with Where Is It?

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:59 pm
Here's Tetra Horror on the XELA BIOS.

Revo
Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:04 am
Followed 14 news conversions: Computer Billiards, Computer Othello, Confused, Great Language, Hanafuda, Hanafuda Koi Koi, Jissen 4-nin Mahjong, MSX Audio, MSX Shogi Game, Paco El Bombas, Paco El Bombas REDUX, Rhetoric, Super Golf, Zanac A.I. - 2nd Version.

And updates:

2 players compatibility: Classic Pong, Kobashi, L.3.W, Midnight Brothers, Neo Pong 512, Super Columns & Tetris (but not tetris).

Better conversion: Cow Abductors (sound, 2players, less glitchy on real hardware), Sky Wolf (no more reset glitch).

Now, I've 500 different conversions working and tested on real hardware. ROM Fullset MSX2SMS Hack v1.1 coming soon!

Revo
Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:07 am

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:41 pm
Revo wrote

So, if you can do MegaROM conversions, can you see if you can do them on a BIOS, like C-BIOS or XELA BIOS? Maybe you can team with bsittler.
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:06 am
Hello ,
do you know if there is a way to activate the PAUSE button on a real MASTER SYTEM for MSX port ?
Or a way to assign PAUSE button to F1 of MSX keyboard ?
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:45 am
msx45 wrote
Hello ,
do you know if there is a way to activate the PAUSE button on a real MASTER SYTEM for MSX port ?
Or a way to assign PAUSE button to F1 of MSX keyboard ?

There might be a way, maybe we can do it or Alex1975Br can see if he can do that control.
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:55 pm
Last edited by bsittler on Sat May 15, 2021 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pause triggers NMI which is handled at $0066. The handler needs to end with a special instruction (RETN) to restore flags correctly. Although normal MSX machines don't have any NMI source wired there is still an NMI handler present in the standard MSX BIOS. Probably you'll just need to overwrite/replace it

I've actually thought about trying to use NMI to trigger a virtual onscreen keyboard for MSX games but so far it's just a dream :)

Beware, some SMS models don't have a Pause button! Korean SMS, for example (Aladdin Boy) however many do, and even Game Gear makes Start button do the same thing when in SMS mode
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:57 pm
bsittler wrote
Pause triggers NMI which is handled at $0066. The handler needs to end with a special instruction (RETN) to restore flags correctly. Although normal MSX machines don't have any NMI source wired there is still an NMI handler present in the standard MSX BIOS. Probably you'll just need to overwrite/replace it

I've actually thought about trying to use NMI to trigger a virtual onscreen keyboard for MSX games but so far it's just a dream :)

Beware, some SMS models don't have a Pause button! Korean SMS, for example (Aladdin Boy)

k then
How about more MegaROM games on the SMS? I'ma see if I can get some of them to work on there. I'ma try my best.
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:28 pm
That would be awesome!

I haven't had a chance recently to work on those myself but I encourage you to take a look. They're actually remarkably similar to non-MegaROM games, difference being they write to a few ROM addresses to trigger MegaROM mapper page switching behavior. Once you trap those writes in a debugger you can find them in the original ROM and swap them out for SMS Sega mapper equivalents

In the case of a MegaROM mapper with 16kByte pages the translation is typically straightforward since Sega mapper works that way too

When it's using 8 kByte pages though you might get lucky and find they always change in aligned pairs (IOW actually 16 kByte behavior just implemented with a different mapper chip) or you might not, in which case you need to figure out how to convert it. In the worst case every single possible pair of 8 kByte "low page" + 8 kByte "high page" will need to appear in your SMS ROM, but that N-squared explosion is going to turn a 128 kByte (1 megabit) MegaROM into a 4 MByte (32 megabit) SMS ROM which won't work on most emulators on flash carts - in fact it's the maximum theoretical size the Sega mapper protocol could even represent, and is even larger than the largest Game Gear games (which also use Sega mapper)

Fortunately in locating (and maybe tracing through) mapper usage in the MSX MegaROM you may discover the possibility space of page combinations is not fully used. In this case if you figure out which ones are used you can lay those out compactly when constructing the SMS ROM, and use a simple mapping table to tell you which SMS page to pick for each pair of source pages. When the source MegaROM is 128 kBytes with 8 kByte page granularity you only need 256 bytes of ROM for that table. You'll also need to reserve some RAM locations (at least one byte in this case) for storing the current "virtual mapper state" for the MegaROM mapper. Typically you can find a byte the program isn't already using, or even luck out and find it already stored the page number in a fixed location itself!

Also once you converted a MegaROM from a mapper with 8 kByte pages to Sega mapper you also coincidentally did 99 percent of the work to make it an MSX ASCII 16kByte mapper MegaROM, and MSX folks will likely be happy to have that patch as it allows the game to run on more hardware flash and RAM solutions

This also means a good first step for any conversion might be to see whether anybody already made an ASCII-16 MSX MegaROM version, and if so that patch likely did your work for you (you just need to change the mapper register addresses!)

Also beware, some MSX games (even MegaROM) may overwrite a Sega mapper register location themselves. I think you can fix those by taking advantage of SMS/Game Gear RAM address shadowing though (e.g. Make it read/write $DFFE instead of $FFFE)

Debugger breakpoints are hugely helpful throughout this process

And if you find you need more RAM than SMS/Game Gear has (either for the game or for your conversion) don't forget emulators and flash carts typically have provision for battery-backed RAM under control of the Sega mapper too! The fact that it's saved across power cycles may not matter, the important part is you may be able to remap the game to use it and not crash :) and you can even turn off the system's own RAM and put a page (page 0) of the cartridge RAM there instead, with no mirroring even! Suddenly your virtual MSX can have 32kB in two pages+(swappable) the console's own RAM, though the inflexible locations of those pages still may require you to do a bunch of address surgery on the MSX game's code

Also although the possible number of combinations gets huge (512 Mbyte/4 Gbit if the page number is 8 bits wide I think?) when doing 8kB-to-16kB conversions AFAIK no actual MSX MegaROM hardware implements that many bits of page numbering. You'll typically be dealing with only 4 or 5 bits of page numbering

Also some MegaROM cartridges themselves contained more RAM. Converting those can be a whole new adventure (hi Xanadu) and I wish you luck!

Apologies for not making any progress on patching recently myself, but I hope at least some of this inspires someone to do it themselves :)
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:05 pm
bsittler wrote
That would be awesome!

I haven't had a chance recently to work on those myself but I encourage you to take a look. They're actually remarkably similar to non-MegaROM games, difference being they write to a few ROM addresses to trigger MegaROM mapper page switching behavior. Once you trap those writes in a debugger you can find them in the original ROM and swap them out for SMS Sega mapper equivalents

In the case of a MegaROM mapper with 16kByte pages the translation is typically straightforward since Sega mapper works that way too

When it's using 8 kByte pages though you might get lucky and find they always change in aligned pairs (IOW actually 16 kByte behavior just implemented with a different mapper chip) or you might not, in which case you need to figure out how to convert it. In the worst case every single possible pair of 8 kByte "low page" + 8 kByte "high page" will need to appear in your SMS ROM, but that N-squared explosion is going to turn a 128 kByte (1 megabit) MegaROM into a 4 MByte (32 megabit) SMS ROM which won't work on most emulators on flash carts - in fact it's the maximum theoretical size the Sega mapper protocol could even represent, and is even larger than the largest Game Gear games (which also use Sega mapper)

Fortunately in locating (and maybe tracing through) mapper usage in the MSX MegaROM you may discover the possibility space of page combinations is not fully used. In this case if you figure out which ones are used you can lay those out compactly when constructing the SMS ROM, and use a simple mapping table to tell you which SMS page to pick for each pair of source pages. When the source MegaROM is 128 kBytes with 8 kByte page granularity you only need 256 bytes of ROM for that table. You'll also need to reserve some RAM locations (at least one byte in this case) for storing the current "virtual mapper state" for the MegaROM mapper. Typically you can find a byte the program isn't already using, or even luck out and find it already stored the page number in a fixed location itself!

Also once you converted a MegaROM from a mapper with 8 kByte pages to Sega mapper you also coincidentally did 99 percent of the work to make it an MSX ASCII 16kByte mapper MegaROM, and MSX folks will likely be happy to have that patch as it allows the game to run on more hardware flash and RAM solutions

This also means a good first step for any conversion might be to see whether anybody already made an ASCII-16 MSX MegaROM version, and if so that patch likely did your work for you (you just need to change the mapper register addresses!)

Also beware, some MSX games (even MegaROM) may overwrite a Sega mapper register location themselves. I think you can fix those by taking advantage of SMS/Game Gear RAM address shadowing though (e.g. Make it read/write $DFFE instead of $FFFE)

Debugger breakpoints are hugely helpful throughout this process

And if you find you need more RAM than SMS/Game Gear has (either for the game or for your conversion) don't forget emulators and flash carts typically have provision for battery-backed RAM under control of the Sega mapper too! The fact that it's saved across power cycles may not matter, the important part is you may be able to remap the game to use it and not crash :) and you can even turn off the system's own RAM and put a page (page 0) of the cartridge RAM there instead, with no mirroring even! Suddenly your virtual MSX can have 32kB in two pages+(swappable) the console's own RAM, though the inflexible locations of those pages still may require you to do a bunch of address surgery on the MSX game's code

Also although the possible number of combinations gets huge (512 Mbyte/4 Gbit if the page number is 8 bits wide I think?) when doing 8kB-to-16kB conversions AFAIK no actual MSX MegaROM hardware implements that many bits of page numbering. You'll typically be dealing with only 4 or 5 bits of page numbering

Also some MegaROM cartridges themselves contained more RAM. Converting those can be a whole new adventure (hi Xanadu) and I wish you luck!

Apologies for not making any progress on patching recently myself, but I hope at least some of this inspires someone to do it themselves :)

And I would want to use a MSX BIOS.
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:20 pm
Right, generally you will need to insert the MSX BIOS in the very first (immovable) 16 kB of the SMS ROM, and your mapper rewrite won't swap out that page ever. You'll likely also need to find room for your mapper translation routines in that same initial 16 kB too

A few MSX games use the more flexible MSX slot/subslot page mapping features (this is independent of any MegaROM mapper chip in the cartridge, usually those games aren't MegaROM at all) to put their own ROM data into the first and/or last 16 kB of the SMS address space. Those ones (usually 48 kB or 64 kB ROM's with "linear" map) will require extensive address and code surgery I think since you can't do something that flexible using Sega's mapper, and also because if they replace $0000-$3FFF it likely means they aren't using MSX BIOS at all. The ones using ROM mapped to $C000-$FFFF you may be able to appease by writing code to map the Sega mapper's SRAM page zero into that space (after shutting off console RAM!) then copy all the data over from ROM to SRAM before starting the game
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:27 pm
(also it's possible EverDrive doesn't even implement the SRAM-at-$C000 part of the Sega mapper protocol. I didn't test that)
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:37 pm
Revo wrote

It's true, but also you might be able to build an MSX VDP (wired "write-only") into a cartridge or adapter with its own separate video output, and watch that instead. I think someone actually built that before for Game Gear but I'm not certain and haven't re-found the original post yet...
Revo
Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:11 am
Followed new Cobinee homebrew with Dangan Trooper, and 2 players update for MSX Baseball 1, MSX Rugby, MSX Soccer.

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:04 pm
bsittler wrote
Revo wrote

It's true, but also you might be able to build an MSX VDP (wired "write-only") into a cartridge or adapter with its own separate video output, and watch that instead. I think someone actually built that before for Game Gear but I'm not certain and haven't re-found the original post yet...

Probably I misremembered, it looks like sions-papa used the original Game Gear VDP (with palette configuration) instead: NX Labs GGMSX
Revo
Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:52 am

From this pack:

News conversions: Candoo Ninja, Harapeko Pakkun, Square Dancer, Turboat.

Better sound: Car Jamboree, Dip Dip, Gyrodine (glitch fixed), H.E.R.O., High Way Star, Pastfinder (also better controls), Pitfall 2, River Raid (also better controls), Scramble Eggs, Telebunnie (also better controls), Wrangler.

Revo
Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:29 am
Followed update of Boggy'84, Doki Doki Penguin Land, Pachinko U.F.O. Now working with Emulicious Bios.

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:31 pm
Revo wrote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byMWU-_acYM

From this pack:

News conversions: Candoo Ninja, Harapeko Pakkun, Square Dancer, Turboat.

Better sound: Car Jamboree, Dip Dip, Gyrodine (glitch fixed), H.E.R.O., High Way Star, Pastfinder (also better controls), Pitfall 2, River Raid (also better controls), Scramble Eggs, Telebunnie (also better controls), Wrangler.

Nice, also, can you ask him if he can do the following? Nemesis, Knightmare II, Nemesis II, F-1 Spirit, etc. I would like to see him do MegaROM games as well.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:15 pm
My new ROM Fullset MSX2SMS v1.1 is out with 505 games tested and working on real hardware! Link in the video description.

Revo
Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:09 pm
New Basic entry of the MSX Dev' with Square Ball.

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:39 am
Here's both Mr. Do V.S. Unicorns and Mr. Do's Wild Ride.

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:46 pm
Successful conversion of Keystone Kapers as a MSX2SMS XELA Patch.

Revo
Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:58 pm

From this (last) pack:

New conversions: Anty, Juno First, Mouser, Sparkie.

Better sound: Alpha Squadron, Aquattack, Choplifter, Con-dori, Frogger (& controls), Gozira 3D.

Better controls: Bank Panic.

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:32 pm
Revo wrote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB0KiUKmP-8

From this (last) pack:

New conversions: Anty, Juno First, Mouser, Sparkie.

Better sound: Alpha Squadron, Aquattack, Choplifter, Con-dori, Frogger (& controls), Gozira 3D.

Better controls: Bank Panic.

Saw it.
Revo
Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:42 am
New folder from Alex1975Br: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AHgzgeID8EltKyY&id=CBDE781561C62577%21...

New conversion: Decathlon, Zenji.

Sound update: Peetan, Ultraman.

Hustle Chumy and Keystone Kapers seems similar to the versions previously posted here.

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:05 pm
Revo wrote
New folder from Alex1975Br: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AHgzgeID8EltKyY&id=CBDE781561C62577%21...

New conversion: Decathlon, Zenji.

Sound update: Peetan, Ultraman.

Hustle Chumy and Keystone Kapers seems similar to the versions previously posted here.

Just got them.
Revo
Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:22 am
Crazy Train added (see yesterday link) ! Now all Konami games are converted! (exept for MegaRoms and Green Beret).

Revo
Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:58 am
Alex is still posting conversions everyday on his Requests folder. Attack 4 Women Volleyball, Super Snake are now compatible 2 players. Sound update for Bee & Flower, Aquapolis SOS.

MSX to SMS Ports
Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:58 pm
Does the Penguin Adventure have the bug of level 4 resetting the game and a way to get the true ending by pausing once.
Revo
Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 pm
Revo wrote
Alex is still posting conversions everyday on his Requests folder. Attack 4 Women Volleyball, Super Snake are now compatible 2 players. Sound update for Bee & Flower, Aquapolis SOS.

New conversion with Beam Rider (impressive game), Kung-Fu Taigun is now compatible 2 players.

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 4:14 pm
Thanks for so many games!!!

I only missed "Snake It!"

Thanks for bring me back to 80's again, playing Goonies, Knightmare and King's valley
Revo
Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:28 am

Revo
Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:09 am

Revo
Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:11 am

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!