Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Best selling game not included with(in) the console?

Reply to topic
Best selling game not included with(in) the console?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:09 pm
I wonder which was the best selling game not built-in memory, nor included as a cartridge with the several SMS pack releases.

Another interesting question would be: how many Hang On, Sonic 1, Alex Kidd IMW and Operation Wolf were sold separately?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:19 pm
Ron_Stard wrote
I wonder which was the best selling game not built-in memory, nor included as a cartridge with the several SMS pack releases.

Another interesting question would be: how many Hang On, Sonic 1, Alex Kidd IMW and Operation Wolf were sold separately?

not sure, but ib doubt it's hang on since it was bundled with practically every system
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:48 am
Unfortunately we don’t have any sales data so it’s very hard to tell. There were “top 10s” published in magazines but it’s really hard to tell if they are based on anything real. I’d guess Sonic 2 is probably a high contender.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:31 am
If I had to choose one, It would be Sonic 2 for sure. I asked myself the same question so many times and another game that I guess It sold many units is Spider-man Vs The Kingpin because of the popularity of the character and units that you can see for buying.
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:22 am
Not Sonic for sure as it was made for Megadrive.

Best selling games are probably the cheapest games at the time, and the games that you can found for 90 cents today. I'm thinking of Super Tennis.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:20 pm
I don't understand your reference to Sonic being on the Megadrive, but for each Super Tenis I see nowadays, I see 20 Sonics....
Revo
Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:52 pm
Sonic was first developed for Megadrive then adapted to Master System in Europe only 'cause there was still lot of Master System used.

I personally see way more Super Tennis in shop, for example on the French version of Rakuten there is actually 21 ad for Sonic and 52 ad for Super Tennis.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:36 pm
Wow, good question. It´s impossible to choose only one game that would have been the number one bestseller, but I think that After Burner and The Ninja would make sense. After Burner is considered as a classic (not my personal fave^^), and maybe Out Run sounds realistic.

Adventures like Phantasy Star were probably too expensive at that time.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:06 am
In North America, I think the games that had subsequent blue label re-issues (Out Run, Rambo, Black Belt, etc.) were probably the best sellers. However, it seems quite likely that European releases far outsold North American releases so I wonder too.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:38 am
Yes, European releases would've surely outsold North American due to Ni****do's dominating presence in the market.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:40 am
Revo wrote
Sonic was first developed for Megadrive then adapted to Master System in Europe only 'cause there was still lot of Master System used.

I personally see way more Super Tennis in shop, for example on the French version of Rakuten there is actually 21 ad for Sonic and 52 ad for Super Tennis.

Maybe it was really abundant in France?
As an example, in Todocoleccion (Spanish second-hand website), "Sonic Master System"gives you 104 results (although that includes Sonic, Sonic 2, and Chaos). "Super tennis" returns 17 results.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!