Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Question regarding the feasibility of porting the game "An Untitled Story".

Reply to topic
Question regarding the feasibility of porting the game "An Untitled Story".
Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:29 pm
Hi there, how are you all?

"An Untitled Story" is a 2007 game from Matt Thorson, better known for his "Celeste" series. It is an excellent Metroidvania game with very simple Microsoft Paint-like graphics.

At first glance, it feels like the game might be able to work on a Master System, but I am neither a programmer nor a game dev. Do you guys know about this game? If so, how feasible do you think a Master System port would be?

The game's source code is available from the website (mattmakesgames).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:44 pm
http://www.mattmakesgames.com/ - click the red MS Paint looking banner about 2/3 of the way down.

The art style is actually quite hard to do on old systems which are much happier with chunky square graphics. It reminds me a lot of home computer games with the flick-screen style. I don’t think it’s a great match to the system, but it seems feasible to port it if you were determined.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:40 am
Brings back memories of early 2010s watching the youtube Let's Player raocow blindly playing hard difficulty "because I never learn" and screaming "I FOUND A HEART!" every time he found.
Pretty sure that was the game.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:24 am
I just watched a replay of this. It certainly seems feasible, but as Maxim said, the visual style wouldn't really work well. You'd also have to either simplify a lot of the room layouts enable scrolling within the rooms. I think it would end up not being quite the same game.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:36 pm
Kagesan wrote
...I think it would end up not being quite the same game.

Fond memories of nearly all console and later hand held games never being quite the same game as the original. We're far beyond that concept these days but there's surprisingly some nice nostalgia about getting the console version of a game, just to find out its not the same as the PC version.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:45 pm
Maxim wrote

The art style is actually quite hard to do on old systems which are much happier with chunky square graphics. It reminds me a lot of home computer games with the flick-screen style. I don’t think it’s a great match to the system, but it seems feasible to port it if you were determined.

Would Megadrive be a better match, or is a full framebuffer needed for this kind of art style?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:10 pm
Probably? The screenbuffer on the MegaDrive is pretty fat, not to mention you can store some like 1300 tile variations at one given moment.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!