SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Tools to switch audio tracks from a GG game to a SEGA CD game

Reply to topic
OUSIA
Tools to switch audio tracks from a GG game to a SEGA CD game
Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:16 am
I'm not a coder in the least but I did want to see what I would have to do to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance!

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:16 am
I think you need to explain it a bit more. Do you mean replacing a Sega CD game soundtrack with that of a GG game?
OUSIA
Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:06 am
Yes, exactly.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:25 pm
If the Sega CD game uses redbook audio, you simply need to convert the vgm files to either wav (for actual cd burning) or mp3 (for use in emulators). Exotic options may include iso/cue/bin, but the bottom line is that this is easily doable.

If the Sega CD game uses PSG/FM/PCM audio, you'll have a hard time. Which is why even Sonic CD uses the same tunes for the past levels.
OUSIA
Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:44 pm
So I'm a little confused on about actually getting the audio. There was only a .cue and a .bin file. I read that the .cue file lists the tracks along with the length, start and end times. It shows a total of 35 tracks. I've uploaded the .cue file. I also extracted the .bin file using UltraISO and I've put links to the screenshots below. There are a bunch of .x files (total of 80), along with a few other files.

https://ibb.co/HgSJZLH
https://ibb.co/VBr0pLz

I don't think that these are Redbook audio files. They are also not PSG, FM or PCM that Tom said would be difficult to extract.

I'm not entirely sure where to go from here.

Is anyone familiar with any of the files shown? Is there a tool to extract them?
Shining Force CD (Sega CD) (U)-redump.cue.txt (2.43 KB)
.Cue File that I saved as a text file

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:56 pm
seems like a mixed mode CD, first track is data (a CD-ROM, it contains files) and all the other tracks seems to be audio.
If you can play it on a CD player you can confirm that.

edit - quote from wikipedia:
Most games released for the Sega CD/Mega-CD [...] are mixed mode CDs.
OUSIA
Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:25 pm
I've tried mounting the .bin file and it shows up in a virtual CD drive. I've loaded it into various programs but none of the programs can read it.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:13 am
Have you tried Ripping the audio with Windows Media Player?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/burn-and-rip-cds-235021d5-e1c7-8616-...
Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:26 pm
given that what he wants to do is to change the music for the game, he doesn't even need to rip the music on the CD - he just has to find a tool to let him burn a mixed mode CD where he will put
- the original *data* track (the CD-ROM track) as the first track
- the same amount of audio tracks that the original disk have, using his own wav files, following the first
OUSIA
Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:53 pm
Well I did find part of the problem. The .wav files were missing to begin with. Since the files I had only were a .bin and a .cue file, I assumed that the .wav files were embedded in the .bin files. Which is why I was confused when I didn't see them once I extracted it.

I found a different source where I now have all of the files. I have both the .mp3 and .vgm versions. So now I can move on to what Tom suggested. I will do both options. I will convert either the .vgm or .mp3 to .wav so and then make a it Mixed Mode CD and I will also use the .mp3s for emulators.

I figure I'll have to tweak the .cue file maybe since the .mp3 and .vgm files are slightly longer than the original .wav files on the CD.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:49 pm
I don't think you even need to use that cue file - you can just create a mixed mode CD and put all the files that were in the original daa track into the new CD data track and all the audio tracks after that one. I think it's way simpler (I suppose the game doesn't perform any check on the CD details)

How to do that - well, this depends on the software you're using. Last time I did that was with Nero on Windows, and it was pretty simple so I believe nowadays it shouldn't be harder than that.
OUSIA
Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:51 pm
So for the most part, after some trial and error, I did manage to swap the audio. It was simpler than I thought and I only had a hard time because I didn't know that files were missing. I still have some post questions though:

I pretty much got my files from two sources. They had the same items except one had the wav files and the other one didn't (not even embedded in the iso/bin file). However, the one with the wav files wouldn't play audio when removed.

So how is it that one requires the wav files and the other one didn't? I know they could've potentially been edited coming from different sources but I don't know if that's the case.

Edit:

So I think there are still some audio files embedded in somewhere that I can't see because there's some some jingles and a few songs that pop up in the game. Not only that, some of the audio files (not the ones I put in) got sped up and put at a higher frequency for some reason. I have no idea why.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!