Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Jumping a trace

Reply to topic
Jumping a trace
Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:42 pm
Hello! As my handle implies, I'm a bad gamer and possibly even worst at modding and restoration. I'm trying to install the McWill screen mod but the picture had inverted/not right colors. I went back to reflow the traces on the wires in the ribbon cable and the trace for pin 9 was lifted and came off when I re-soldered the wire back to it. I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but is there a schematic out there that would tell me where I can attach the wire so I can jump that trace?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:14 pm
BadGamer89 wrote
I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but is there a schematic out there that would tell me where I can attach the wire so I can jump that trace?

The finger at the end of the board is totally gone, but the good news is that the trace is still intact. Take a look at the area I circled, with the small circle and partial trace inside it. This is referred to as a via. This is an area that you can solder to if you have a method to remove the solder mask (some people use light brushing/scraping with the flat edge of a pen knife, but I prefer a fiberglass pen). In addition, that PCB looks like a single-layer substrate, so it should be easy to probe around with the continuity/diode mode of a multimeter and find out where the other end of that trace goes. I would also highly suggest using some thinner gauge wire (30G kynar or ribbon wire is always a popular choice) so that any flexing of the wires doesn't put excessive stress on those solder joints. I've attached the photo of the via you can solder to, but feel free to ask any additional questions.

Also, hello fellow Ohioan!

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!