Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Shining Force Gaiden 1 Group Fan Translation Project Assitance Request

Reply to topic
OUSIA
Shining Force Gaiden 1 Group Fan Translation Project Assitance Request
Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:14 pm
Hello,

We have started a fan translation project of Shining Force Gaiden 1 for the Game Gear. We have a translator and a coder but their free time is extremely limited, as is yours, most likely. We require translators and coders and are currently still searching for people who can possibly able to assist us. Even if you cannot code or translate, you may have resources we can use or people you can direct us to.

I have no experience in coding but I've been trying to learn and understand z80 assembly and disassembly in order to do a text dump to make it easier for the translators.

If you are able to assist or are interested, please join our Discord server:

https://discord.gg/C2RwnTPJ

Thank you for your time and we hope to hear from you soon!

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:29 pm
I can’t volunteer but I’ve worked on a few translations (Phantasy Star, Game de Check) and I’m happy to answer questions. I strongly advise to make your translation automated to build and open source, so others can build on it to make new translations to other languages.

I’ve found it easiest to make custom Python tools to dump scripts, and to convert scripts into assembly source to pull together using an assembler rather than binary pitching. Documenting the disassembly is also helpful.
OUSIA
Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:53 pm
No worries. Clearly I still have a lot to learn because now Python has been thrown into the ring lol. Well, each answer can help clear the road so I appreciate it.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:49 pm
Tools can be in any language you like, but it helps if they’re easy for others to build and run.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!