Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Wonder Boy Sprites

Reply to topic
Wonder Boy Sprites
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:35 am
Hi Gang, New member here.
Great site and amazing content!
Wow!
I was looking through all the Wonder Boy sprites and It’s flat out incredible how much there is!
Just curious if anyone can show me where a certain sprite is or has the Sprite for the Revival Potion from Wonder Boy in Monster Land?
I couldn’t find it when I looked for it and with so much there it’s totally possible that I missed it.

Awesome to be here!
Thanks in advance, Josh
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:46 am
You're right, it's not on the sprite page. A few other ones seem to be missing, too, such as the Ruby.
.png (147 B)
Potion
.png
.png (145 B)
Ruby
.png

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:35 am
Tom wrote
You're right, it's not on the sprite page. A few other ones seem to be missing, too, such as the Ruby.

Hi Tom, Wow Thanks!
That made me remember another,
The Bell is missing too! I completely forgot about the Ruby, lol 😆
Did you make those Sprites yourself?
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:29 am
I didn't make any of the sprites on the existing page; according to the page history, that's a combined work of Maxim, Melanogaster, and mostly Balkry.

As for these two, I merely cropped them from this screenshot (again, originally uploaded by Balkry):

So yeah, you should actually thank Balkry for the most part. Also because I don't feel like playing a good chunk of the game only to take a screenshot of the status screen with the bell, I'm sorry.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:39 pm
Hi,
for the record, if there is no Ruby Sprite, it is because the sprite does not exist in the game (like the Bell or The Scroll ... )
I believe, it is possible to get the potion by killing a monster, if so, the sprite could be added.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:51 pm
I have to admit that you are right, those aren't "sprites" according to the strict definition of that word, but still, even if they are images which are part of a tilemap, one might argue that they would make a nice addition.

That's also why I didn't actually edit the sprite page and I only uploaded those cropped pictures here on the forum, you know I don't like to be proactive in potentially controversial situations, but I still wanted to give the OP what he asked for.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:29 pm
Last edited by WonderKnight on Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
balkry wrote
Hi,
for the record, if there is no Ruby Sprite, it is because the sprite does not exist in the game (like the Bell or The Scroll ... )
I believe, it is possible to get the potion by killing a monster, if so, the sprite could be added.

Hi Balkry, Is there a way you could add the Revival Potion sprite since it is a Sprite? I hate to even ask but i'll be honest, It's one of my favorite things from the game, lol :)

Also, I just looked at sprites for Wonder Boy III SMS and were the Dragon Bosses not considered sprites since they aren't shown? I'm not at all familiar in what all has to be done exactly with these sprite images. Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for your help!
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:30 pm
Tom wrote
I have to admit that you are right, those aren't "sprites" according to the strict definition of that word, but still, even if they are images which are part of a tilemap, one might argue that they would make a nice addition.

That's also why I didn't actually edit the sprite page and I only uploaded those cropped pictures here on the forum, you know I don't like to be proactive in potentially controversial situations, but I still wanted to give the OP what he asked for.

Tom I really appreciate all of your help! :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:59 pm
Dragon bosses in WBIII are not technically sprites, so some artistic liberty would be needed to extract them from the black background - do you leave a 1px border or not? Regular sprites are easier to extract.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:42 pm
Maxim wrote
Dragon bosses in WBIII are not technically sprites, so some artistic liberty would be needed to extract them from the black background - do you leave a 1px border or not? Regular sprites are easier to extract.

Hi Maxim, I appreciate your response!
I thought about looking up more on sprites but I'd rather see what all is said here. :)
So what constitutes something being a sprite and not a sprite?

Thanks in advance, Josh
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:11 pm
On many old videogame systems, the background is what fills up the screen - made out of lots of little squares, leading to blocky shaped levels - and then there are sprites, which can move smoothly over the top and have non-square shapes but are limited in size and quantity.

The video chip deals with these separately, and that means that you can easily remove the background in an emulator to isolate the sprites.

Some games use the background to make things that look like sprites, but then there’s no way to automatically cut them out. Examples are big bosses, or big players/enemies like in Altered Beast and Space Harrier. These tend to move in big 8px steps because of the limitations of the background, although if you accept a solid coloured background and to only have one enemy (like a big boss) you can make it a bit smoother.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:20 pm
Maxim wrote
On many old videogame systems, the background is what fills up the screen - made out of lots of little squares, leading to blocky shaped levels - and then there are sprites, which can move smoothly over the top and have non-square shapes but are limited in size and quantity.

The video chip deals with these separately, and that means that you can easily remove the background in an emulator to isolate the sprites.

Some games use the background to make things that look like sprites, but then there’s no way to automatically cut them out. Examples are big bosses, or big players/enemies like in Altered Beast and Space Harrier. These tend to move in big 8px steps because of the limitations of the background, although if you accept a solid coloured background and to only have one enemy (like a big boss) you can make it a bit smoother.

Excellent explanation! Thank you for that! :)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:23 pm
I've added some of those "backgroundy sprites" throughout the game pages -- mainly regarding big bosses, as Maxim pointed out.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:58 pm
Melanogaster wrote
I've added some of those "backgroundy sprites" throughout the game pages -- mainly regarding big bosses, as Maxim pointed out.

[/img]

It’s funny because thinking back I seem
To remember the black turtle chopper looking different for some reason and maybe it was because the other end wasn’t a sprite? :)

Really cool of you to share these!
I think I had found one of the same kind of Sprites when looking at WB3 castle.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:08 pm
WonderKnight wrote

Wrong, it's a real one.

But I agree with Maxim and Melanogaster , sometimes it's nice to have big sprites/screenshots. I have done this for Phantasy Star. You could find nice ones for Cloud Master Bosses.

And sometimes, the sprites are really huge like in Chuck Rock
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:23 pm
balkry wrote
WonderKnight wrote

Wrong, it's a real one.

But I agree with Maxim and Melanogaster , sometimes it's nice to have big sprites/screenshots. I have done this for Phantasy Star. You could find nice ones for Cloud Master Bosses.

And sometimes, the sprites are really huge like in Chuck Rock

Ok, I was referring to the rest of the castle being missing just like what he showed examples of.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:57 pm
I'd still like to see the Ruby and the Bell amongst the Monster Land sprites, though, but this is going to be my last post in this topic. As I said, I won't push my hand on something controversial, I'm just saying that it wouldn't be that bad to bend the definition a little if we get the chance to show more interesting things.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:50 am
Tom wrote
I'd still like to see the Ruby and the Bell amongst the Monster Land sprites, though, but this is going to be my last post in this topic. As I said, I won't push my hand on something controversial, I'm just saying that it wouldn't be that bad to bend the definition a little if we get the chance to show more interesting things.

I agree that having them would be ideal!
I’m going to add the potion, bell and ruby to My personal collection of images.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:48 am
Maxim wrote
I would alter the in-game palette to see if there are any potential black outlines.
wboy3-bgpalette.png (4.14 KB)
wboy3-bgpalette.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:17 pm
This is true - sometimes there are two blacks in the palette and there's some hidden border pixels. The Phantasy Star title screen is one example - though I wouldn't class these as sprites.

The enemies in Phantasy Star are a mixture of hardware sprites and background tiles - any that need transparency are sprites, any that are solid 8x8 are background tiles. So it's still possible to rip them (apart from the biggest boss...) with some effort.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!