Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Chinese Everdrive issue

Reply to topic
Chinese Everdrive issue
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:16 am
I got in the Chinese everdrive today from aliexpress, wanted to give it try since it's cheap. I turn it on and the menu comes up but no matter what I choose it always plays Aladdin. I've formatted the sd card and put the files back, I've tried other cards, I've tried my model 1 and 2, still get only Aladdin. Even without the sd card installed it's always Aladdin. Has anybody had this issue? I know it's clone crap but even all the reviews I've seen have been decent. If I'm not doing something right I'm all ears.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:32 am
The Everdrive OS allows you to either run the currently flahed rom by pressing button 2 (C on MD joypad) then button 1 (B on MD joypad). To flash a new rom you need to press button 1 then button 1. That should be followed by a screen that tells you first that it erases then that it loads the rom.
Emulicious allows you to run games via Everdrive. You can download the Everdrive OS from Krikkz's website. There you can see how it should work.

If it tells you that it flashes the rom but then still plays Aladdin, I'm afraid something is broken because that would mean that it couldn't successfully flash the rom.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:37 pm
If you have another game cartridge or BIOS game to test with it might also be helpful to verify both buttons on the controller are still registering correctly, as I once saw similar behavior from a controller that started to fail

I hope you're able to get the device working, or to contact the seller and get a replacement if not! I can't vouch for the clone makers but Krikzz, Stone Age Gamer, and everdrive.me at least have all provided excellent and affordable replacement service when needed and also really good customer support in the few cases where the hardware wasn't working correctly or I found an incompatibility. Of course in the vast majority of cases the devices all worked perfectly on arrival and never gave any problems! This is why I encourage buying from Krikzz or his designated resellers and it is also supporting the further development and refinement of the technology this way

A while back I picked up one of the clones for compatibility testing and to see whether it was actually a clone of Krikzz hardware and software (sadly it mostly was, though they had switched from SD to MicroSD and used compatible components from different manufacturers I believe), and as others here have mentioned (a) it worked just like a real EverDrive except without official support, and (b) the behavior you describe sounds like what happens when I press the "other" controller button

edit: one other thing to check is the console power supply. A weak or failing one is sometimes first evident in flash cartridges failing to work correctly, even when they are still able to run other less-demanding cartridges without obvious problems
Post Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:25 pm
I've discussed everything with the seller so far, and I know aliexpress is good about handling issues. Its not the end of the world since I knew there was a chance it could suck, but still annoying. The controller seems to work fine in Aladdin after it boots up, I feel like its a defect with the flash itself and it can't rewrite it when I choose another rom. Thanks for the replies guys.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:24 pm
Are you pressing the correct button, does it come up with any 'start and load' screen? Mine is working brilliantly but it always keeps the last game in its 'memory'.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:51 pm
Yes, I was pressing the right button. Turns out it is defective and they're sending me a new replacement. There's definitely an issue where the flash memory can't erase the last flash. They probably tested it with Aladdin and didn't try another game to test the reflashing.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!