Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Where to find Game Gear cartridge connectors?

Reply to topic
Where to find Game Gear cartridge connectors?
Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:00 pm
Hi all.

Tototek used to have them:

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&p...

But they've been out of stock for several years now.
I don't thing they got them remanufactured so there must be a piece of hardware out there using them.

They don't have to fit in the OG console, they just need to be able to provide contact with every pin on the cartridge.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:34 pm
Im not sure if there is an easy replacement. Im sure the original manufacturer did have an excess of stock that it sold to Tototek long after the Game Gears EOL which isnt uncommon... But Im sure that stock has long been dissipated, with the only way left to obtain cart slots is to either salvage them or attempt to manufacture your own.

There was someone here on the forums who did make a 3D printed one with pogo pins... Though, I think it required disassembling the cart to get the interface.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:59 pm
IllusionOfMana wrote
Im sure the original manufacturer did have an excess of stock that it sold to Tototek long after the Game Gears EOL which isnt uncommon...

I have doubts about it because Tototek advertises them as "(Not for real GG) You can use it to make Catridge Reader. It is not for real Game Gear."
Going by the pics the ears are shorter and the mounting holes have a different spacing.

Furthermore there are modern consoles/accessories with Game Gear ports:
https://hyperkinlab.com/retron-5-3-in-1-adapter-for-game-gear-master-system-mast...
Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:15 pm
hmmm well you can always try to reach out to these product manufacturers and see if they will give you any info on where they source theirs. I doubt they would give that information but hey worth a shot.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:31 pm
It breaks my heart to do it but I scavenge them from Game Gear Game Genies. They're pretty easy to remove, and for "free" you get a really nice Game Gear cartridge breakout board because it attaches to the main board with a connector you can re-use, so that's a nice perk.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:54 am
IllusionOfMana wrote
hmmm well you can always try to reach out to these product manufacturers and see if they will give you any info on where they source theirs. I doubt they would give that information but hey worth a shot.

Neither Tototek or HyperKin (RetroN) ever cared to answer...
Charles MacDonald wrote
It breaks my heart to do it but I scavenge them from Game Gear Game Genies. They're pretty easy to remove, and for "free" you get a really nice Game Gear cartridge breakout board because it attaches to the main board with a connector you can re-use, so that's a nice perk.

Scavenging isn't an option for me as I would need ~1000 connectors.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:29 pm
I guess you're down to make your own or keep asking. I know Analogue has an adapter too I want to say for their megadrive clone. I'm sure there is some source out there still making these or at least parting out old new stock. Im sure its likely the same manufacturer or seller for all of these retro tech companies.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:00 am
IllusionOfMana wrote
I guess you're down to make your own

Yeah, I was hoping for a bit easier solution. :)
I had simpler connectors manufatured some time ago and it was a couple k$ investment. I'm a bit worried manufacturing that GG connector will be out of my budget.

IllusionOfMana wrote
or keep asking.

I'm pretty sure I won't get any answer unfortunately. Story of mankind really, we keep wasting our energy redoing what others have done before, ah ah.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:54 pm
IllusionOfMana wrote
I guess you're down to make your own or keep asking. I know Analogue has an adapter too I want to say for their megadrive clone. I'm sure there is some source out there still making these or at least parting out old new stock. Im sure its likely the same manufacturer or seller for all of these retro tech companies.

1000 connectors for....?

it is a slotted edge connector, not super complicated. Ive found manufacturers will gladly do samples and small runs, esp if you dont tell them its for video games, lol.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:49 pm
segasonicfan wrote

1000 connectors for....?

it is a slotted edge connector, not super complicated. Ive found manufacturers will gladly do samples and small runs, esp if you dont tell them its for video games, lol.

Links or references?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:41 am
segasonicfan wrote
1000 connectors for....?

For a Game Gear to Master System converter I have developped.
It is not super complicated but not very common either (45 pins on 2 rows, top row being 0,05" shifted).
Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:55 pm
Bob from retrorgb got me sorted for the prototype run.

I'm sending him one unit for reviewing.

Many thanks to him again.
20220302_181641.jpg (2.77 MB)
20220302_181641.jpg
20220302_204007.jpg (4.41 MB)
20220302_204007.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:22 pm
Apocalypse wrote
Bob from retrorgb got me sorted for the prototype run.

I'm sending him one unit for reviewing.

Many thanks to him again.

Are these compatible with the actual gamegear console, or is it just for the purpose of creating a cart reader?

The cart slot in my console is having trouble making contact with the cart and I'd like to replace it, but no one is manufacturing compatible cart slots sadly.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:59 am
Foodchain wrote
Are these compatible with the actual gamegear console, or is it just for the purpose of creating a cart reader?

The cart slot in my console is having trouble making contact with the cart and I'd like to replace it, but no one is manufacturing compatible cart slots sadly.

The slots Bob sent to me are either pulls from dead consoles or an old stock from a repairer, so yes they are compatible with an actual Game Gear console.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!