Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega Master System Box Art Question

Reply to topic
Sega Master System Box Art Question
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:09 am
So, possibly a dumb question, but is there a reason why in the 80's the box art for the Master System used graph-paper like lines on it? With some small picture in the corner showing something related to the game? It just looked terrible. And the graph-paper lines reminded me of, well, school work, which was not something I would imagine the people trying to sell those games wanted. Good box art which took up the whole box had been available for years at that point. So... why??
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:15 am
It’s hard to know for sure, but it seems like an attempt at looking different from the NES and Atari games that were the competition, and perhaps to look more mature, less toy-like and more designer-looking. Obviously the clip art look has not aged well. The grid background was probably pretty stylish for 1986.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:54 am
Ni****do actually tried a similar thing with the very early NES covers, with similarly poor aesthetic results I might add.

I assume it was also Sega's attempt at pushing the brand and the system more than the individual games.To be fair, it kind of worked, as Sega Master System games really stood out on store shelves back then. It's also very clear that Sega didn't do this because they were trying to save money in any way, as is evident by the fact that the grid is actually printed in silver. Adding a fifth printing colour cannot have been cheap in the 1980s.

Maxim wrote
The grid background was probably pretty stylish for 1986.

Oh yes, that for sure. Designs like this were abundant then. In fact, I still have my special edition Commodore Amiga from 1989 that looks like this.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:09 pm
I really love the grid background. I loved then and I am still loving It nowadays.

It's perfect.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:05 pm
Yes, there probably was some style to grids in 1986.
There was Capcom's early NES games (1987) which used a space grid background, plus I'm sure grids had been seen on like TV graphics design and such then.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!