Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - DONKEY.SMS

Reply to topic
DONKEY.SMS
Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:12 am
Hello! I just released my first homebrew game for SMS. It's a remake of DONKEY.BAS, the old DOS game!

My version is a bit different (and better I hope) than the original. It gets harder as you play, and there are more obstacles to avoid (up to 3 at a time in some areas), and there is music.

In an attempt to make the game more interesting, I also added new concepts such as such as a 3-lane and lane-less mode. Of course, with the SMS graphics hardware, making the game more colorful and smooth-scrolling that the PC original was easy.

The Paddle Control seemed like a perfect controller for this game, so it is also supported! I think that's the best way to play this game.

I made a page about the game, with screenshots and a few videos. The ROM can also be downloaded from there:
* sorry, I cannot post links. * (please visit raphnet.net)

I used devkitSMS (SMSlib and PSGlib), png2tile, sdcc (of course) and DefleMask to make the music. With these tools getting started in SMS game programming is not difficult at all!

I was wondering, what is the process to get my game added to the homebrew database on the site?
level4.png (2.83 KB)
level4.png
desert.png (2.65 KB)
desert.png
title_screen.png (1.38 KB)
title_screen.png

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:24 am
I think Maxim can give you edit permissions!
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:57 am
Thank you! Page created: https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/Donkey-SMS

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:32 pm
This is very nice - thanks for sharing! :)

Since I don't remember having ever added Paddle Control support to SMSlib, would you mind sharing how you did that? (and if it's OK for you I could use that to add official support...)
Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:32 pm
Love it! Knocked up a very quick cover for my RetroPie if it's any use to anyone.
DONKEY.SMS_COVER.png (40.85 KB)
DONKEY.SMS boxart.
DONKEY.SMS_COVER.png

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:33 pm
raphnet wrote
Hello! I just released my first homebrew game for SMS. It's a remake of DONKEY.BAS, the old DOS game!

Great job!
Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:58 pm
sverx wrote
Since I don't remember having ever added Paddle Control support to SMSlib, would you mind sharing how you did that? (and if it's OK for you I could use that to add official support...)

Yes, in fact I intended to send a pull request to add Paddle Control support later, which I just did.

Paddle Control support was put together with the help the "Development/Paddle" page on SMSpower. And also using my own research making a homemade paddle.

I tested two paddle types (original and homemade) on both ports on a Japanese SMS. The only tested emulator is Meka.
Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:11 am
My current highscore is 298. The game is a lot of fun, but once it loops, it doesn't seem to get any more difficult?
Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:40 pm
Kagesan wrote
My current highscore is 298. The game is a lot of fun, but once it loops, it doesn't seem to get any more difficult?

Excellent score! Are you playing it with a paddle? Do you use a PAL or an NTSC system? I suspect the game will be easier at 50Hz.

After each loop, the speed becomes a bit higher for all levels. Try completing level 16 a second time and you will see! But I guess I could also extend the length of each level after the first loop...
Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:08 am
I've been playing it in Emulicious so far, with a RetroBit Mega Drive style USB controller, in 60 Hz. I do have a japanese paddle, though, so trying your game on original hardware with this is definitely on my to-do list.

I think the length of the levels is fine, I wouldn't change that. Maybe you could up the challenge a bit by being a little less generous with dishing out extra lives?
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:52 pm
I tried the game on real hardware with paddle control, control is very smooth, it feel very nice.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:31 pm
raphnet wrote
Yes, in fact I intended to send a pull request to add Paddle Control support later, which I just did.

Thanks! I'll look into it ASAP :)
Version 1.1
Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:59 am
Hello! I just released version 1.1 based on the feedback I received:

- Stop giving out new lives every 4 levels (too easy)
- Give one life each time level 16 gets completed.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:11 am
This looks and sounds great - but unfortunately it doesn't seem to play nice on my Mega Drive (via an Everdrive and 8bitdo M30 controller).

Like some SMS games which are incompatible with Mega Drive controllers, the d-pad is locked and only the A button works (game starts, car remains stuck on right hand lane). Buttons B and C would act as SMS buttons 1 and 2 in regular back-compatibility mode, and there's no difference in behaviour with a regular 3 button MD controller.

No worries of course if looking into this for the sole user who doesn't have a real SMS set up isn't a priority. Thanks for sharing and contributing!
Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:35 pm
this sounds like a side effect of setting the port3F to 0x55, that he did to workaround a bug in MEKA - probably he can fix it by simply putting the value into port3F back to 0xFF if paddle isn't detected...

Like some SMS games which are incompatible with Mega Drive controllers

this is a common bug in a few games that perform a region check to see if it's a Japanese or an export console - they forget to reset port3F too.

They can be patched.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:29 pm
sverx wrote

this is a common bug in a few games that perform a region check to see if it's a Japanese or an export console - they forget to reset port3F too.

They can be patched.

Indeed - one of the first things I did upon receiving my MD flashcart is hunt down SMS-MD controller fix patches for games like Alien Syndrome and Wonderboy in Monsterland (I believe there are eight official western games in total which require them).

Thanks for the insight into the issue the patches fix.
Veresion 1.2
Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:20 am
bumtree wrote
This looks and sounds great - but unfortunately it doesn't seem to play nice on my Mega Drive (via an Everdrive and 8bitdo M30 controller).

Like some SMS games which are incompatible with Mega Drive controllers, the d-pad is locked and only the A button works (game starts, car remains stuck on right hand lane). Buttons B and C would act as SMS buttons 1 and 2 in regular back-compatibility mode, and there's no difference in behaviour with a regular 3 button MD controller.

No worries of course if looking into this for the sole user who doesn't have a real SMS set up isn't a priority. Thanks for sharing and contributing!

Thank you! I had tested on a Megadrive, but only with a Paddle and an SMS controller... Somehow I forgot to test the most obvious controller type on that platform!

As sverx pointed out, my Paddle workaround for meka was the culprit.

Version 1.2 is now available from my website:
https://www.raphnet.net/programmation/donkey/index_en.php#releases
Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:43 am
Having played it properly now I have to say it's superb. It's really quite addictive, handles great in all modes (even without the analogue paddle) and has an earworm tune with a lovely flair.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:30 pm
Very good game. I like the music and the atmosphere.

I managed to get to 168 score without losing a life.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:03 pm
Having played it properly now I have to say it's superb. It's really quite addictive, handles great in all modes (even without the analogue paddle) and has an earworm tune with a lovely flair.

Thank you! You did very well in lane-less mode, playing this mode with a controller (not a paddle) is its own challenge isn't it?

Very good game. I like the music and the atmosphere.

I managed to get to 168 score without losing a life.

Thanks! Now that you mention it, a single-life "hard mode" could be fun!
Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 am
raphnet wrote

You did very well in lane-less mode, playing this mode with a controller (not a paddle) is its own challenge isn't it?

It definitely requires a different play style for sure and heightens the quality of the overall package.

I find it easier to score high by defaulting to a central position as much as possible, as deaths seem to be more prevalent when trying to squeeze through gaps in the far left & right. It's a bizarre but awesome sight watching the car snake so smoothly between the donkeys.

Makes me really want a paddle.
Box art
Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:58 am
Hello! A few users requested it, so I made box art for the game.
boxart-small.png (146.89 KB)
boxart-small.png
boxart-donkey.pdf (175.38 KB)

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!