Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SG-1000 to/from ColecoVision ports

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:53 pm
I didn't notice that you'd ported C-BIOS. That's great! I'll have to check it out when I get a chance.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:16 pm
Last edited by Wafer on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Okay, I modded under4mhz's BIOS for H.E.R.O. so that it supports the joystick and keypad correctly as separate devices. This is probably also a good start at a "universal" controller routine for Coleco games on SMS.

With an SMS pad, 1 and 2 will act as the two fire buttons. Simple, but you won't be able to start the game like that. Sorry!

With a Mega Drive three or six button pad (or a Saturn pad, natch), the controls are as follows:

A = Left Side Fire
B = Right Side Fire
In order to support the keypad buttons, directional and button combinations are used with a
Six Button Genesis controller. Here are the combinations :
Y + Up = 0
Y + Right = 1
Y + Down = 2
Y + Left = 3
Z + Up = 4
Z + Right = 5
Z + Down = 6
Z + Left = 7
Y + Z + Up = 8
Y + Z + Down = 9
X = #
C = *
Start = 1 (duplicated for starting an easier game in games with a difficulty selection option)
Mode = 3 (duplicated for starting a harder game in games with a difficulty selection option)

(This is also the same scheme that the Mega SG jailbreak uses for Coleco games)

This BIOS should also be fine for two-player games, but I haven't got round to testing that yet.

Update: Now tested and working on hardware.
H.E.R.O..sg.zip (17.51 KB)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:56 pm
@Wafer did you attach the correct file? On a regular SMS Pad there doesn't seem to be a way to start the game? At least nothing seems to happen no matter which button I press.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:09 pm
Calindro wrote
@Wafer did you attach the correct file? On a regular SMS Pad there doesn't seem to be a way to start the game? At least nothing seems to happen no matter which button I press.

Oops, I probably shoulda made it clear that there's no way to start the game without a Mega Drive pad. I was more focused on implementing a full controller map that could make most games playable with an MD controller than making this one specific game playable with SMS pads. I've edited the post.

You bring up a good point though, it would be GREAT to get games like this working without extra controls. I've been thinking it might be useful to add a "virtual keypad" screen to the BIOS so that hacks can call it on demand, but I have other projects that I need to get back to at the moment.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:19 pm
Wafer wrote
Oops, I probably shoulda made it clear that there's no way to start the game without a Mega Drive pad.

Oh, it looks like you did. Or did you edit your post?
Wafer wrote
With an SMS pad, 1 and 2 will act as the two fire buttons. Simple, but you won't be able to start the game like that. Sorry!

I misunderstood this part:
Wafer wrote
Start = 1 (duplicated for starting an easier game in games with a difficulty selection option)

I read it as start button behaves the same as button 1 and expected that I could also start the game with button 1.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 pm
Last edited by Stokes on Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Okay, while I did this on my birthday (January 21st) today, I bet you guys would be interested into having Space Invaders Collection, by Opcode, on SMS. This was supposed to be for the SG-1000, but ended up being on SMS due to size being 64kB for SMS and SG-1000 can handle 48kB ROM. The original game was only 32kB. I will see if I can get 2010 next.
P.S. This works on Mark III, not even Master System (1 or 2) or Game Gear would work.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:29 pm
Stokes wrote
Okay, while I did this on my birthday (January 21st) today, I bet you guys would be interested into having Space Invaders Collection, by Opcode, on SMS. This was supposed to be for the SG-1000, but ended up being on SMS due to size being 64kB for SMS and SG-1000 can handle 48kB ROM. The original game was only 32kB. I will see if I can get 2010 next.

Isn't "Loretta no Shouzou: Sherlock Holmes" a 128KB for SG-1000 ?
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:37 pm
asper wrote
Stokes wrote

O_O
Oh, looks like I was wrong, I also discovered there was this MSX to SMS collection by a user on YouTube that ACTUALLY runs on the SG-1000.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:57 pm
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote

O_O
Oh, looks like I was wrong, I also discovered there was this MSX to SMS collection by a user on YouTube that ACTUALLY runs on the SG-1000.

Please share the youtube link please :)
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:03 pm
asper wrote
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote

O_O

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:08 pm
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote

O_O

Thaaaank you ! Happy Birthday again !
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:25 pm
asper wrote
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote
asper wrote
Stokes wrote

O_O

Thaaaank you ! Happy Birthday again !

Thanks and you're welcome. :-D
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:06 pm
Any ideas for ColecoVision to SG-1000 games?
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:56 pm
Stokes wrote
Any ideas for ColecoVision to SG-1000 games?

Q*bert, Mr. Do!, Mr. Do's Castle, BurgerTime, Centipede, Congo Bongo, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Galaxian, Gyruss, Lady Bug, Pitfall!, Pitfall II, Roc 'N Rope, Time Pilot, Zaxxon

In some cases there are already SG-1000 versions, but the Colecovision version is different and IMO better
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:58 pm
Also super bonus points if you can get the Sports Pad working with Centipede
Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:07 pm
Any news on Tank Wars & HERO or did everyone move to MSX conversions? :)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:36 pm
elfor wrote
Any news on Tank Wars & HERO or did everyone move to MSX conversions? :)

Tank Wars and H.E.R.O. are still the same. No news for now, but we'll just have to see in the future.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:14 am
Here's HERO.

I've update the joystick routine to fix the directions and support the right fire button.

To start the game, hold down the right fire button and press up. (This simulates "1" on the Colecovision keypad)
H.E.R.O..zip (17.38 KB)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:59 am
Last edited by Wafer on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Also if anyone wants to be able to play the game with full keypad support, you literally just need to scroll up the page for my attempt at that. It does require a six-button pad for full controls, or a three-button MD pad for basic support. That means you can start the game at any difficulty, as though it was running on a real CV.

I suspect that the changes I made to under4mhz's BIOS will also get Tank Wars working properly, so I'll give that a try tonight as well.

Here's the OP from when I posted it back in January:

Wafer wrote
Okay, I modded under4mhz's BIOS for H.E.R.O. so that it supports the joystick and keypad correctly as separate devices. This is probably also a good start at a "universal" controller routine for Coleco games on SMS.

With a Mega Drive three or six button pad (or a Saturn pad, natch), the controls are as follows:

A = Left Side Fire
B = Right Side Fire
In order to support the keypad buttons, directional and button combinations are used with a
Six Button Genesis controller. Here are the combinations :
Y + Up = 0
Y + Right = 1
Y + Down = 2
Y + Left = 3
Z + Up = 4
Z + Right = 5
Z + Down = 6
Z + Left = 7
Y + Z + Up = 8
Y + Z + Down = 9
X = #
C = *
Mode = 3 (duplicated for starting a harder game in games with a difficulty selection option)

(This is also the same scheme that the Mega SG jailbreak uses for Coleco games)

This BIOS should also be fine for two-player games, but I haven't got round to testing that yet.

Revo
Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:10 pm
Thank you, working fine on real hardware (SMS 1).

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:28 am
Here's Tank Wars.

Once again, right button and up to start the game (ignore the blank screen on the select mode screen).

It doesn't really work very well. Once you die, the controls stop working(?), and lines still remain. From my short stint trying to fix other games, I suspect fixing these problems will probably take more time than I'm prepared to spend on it.
TankWars.zip (13.28 KB)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:19 am
Thanks all for your work!
I found it surprising how H.E.R.O. on SG-1000 looked so different from MSX and Coleco versions.

From a casual observer those threads are as fascinating as they can be difficult to follow. I know Revo recently put some good efforts at cataloguing the GG2SMS hacks on the Hacks section. Do you think we should be opening section for MSX and Coleco sourced hacks too? Just wondering what people feel would be best, if there's anything to do.

Also please, whenever you shared modified rom images (which is fine) please do tag the filename with a consistent indication e.g. [MSX2SMS] or [COL2SMS]. We have ongoing work of dumping variety of Asian cartridges including xxx-in-1 with frequently contains MSX or maybe Coleco conversions from the nineties and although my dumping logs are all published, sorting through those official hacks of the 90s is tremendously difficult and it would be good to not put ourselves in a situation where we can't tell which is which :) Thank you.
Revo
Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:40 am
If you open a MSX2SMS section, please found an other solution than the existing GG2SMS section, 'cause adding more than 300 hacks will take ages.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:34 pm
Revo wrote
If you open a MSX2SMS section, please found an other solution than the existing GG2SMS section, 'cause adding more than 300 hacks will take ages.

For this I would suggest opening a new thread in the Website Forum to discuss how you think the process can be improved (e.g. what takes time, what could be made easier, or faster, or less prone to mistakes, etc.).

If I look at the wiki sources for a page:

:Version:1.1
:Date:20191103
:By:[[~Revo]] and [[~Wafer]]
:Screenshots:1
:ForumTopic:14742

>><<
@@10 minutes gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwSkBdx5kC0 @@

!!Battleship v1.1 GG2SMS Conversion by Wafer and Révo 2019-11-03
* Compatible with MD and Saturn pad, supports [Start] button
* Supports [Pause] button and [d] on controller 2
* Game can be started without start button

!!Battleship v1 GG2SMS Conversion by Révo 2017-01-24
*Start configured on down controller 2.

Things looks relatively straightforward. How can we improve that?
It's a little luxurious (but nice) that you made the effort of adding full changelog, but perhaps that's one thing that cost more time/maintainance.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:29 pm
Bock wrote
I know Revo recently put some good efforts at cataloguing the GG2SMS hacks on the Hacks section. Do you think we should be opening section for MSX and Coleco sourced hacks too? Just wondering what people feel would be best, if there's anything to do.

Bock wrote
It's a little luxurious (but nice) that you made the effort of adding full changelog, but perhaps that's one thing that cost more time/maintainance.

Not to be an ass, but it was me that did that, if you're talking about the pages that got updated at the start of the pandemic. Revo has historically been reluctant to produce anything other than pre-patched ROMs, nevermind updating the wiki. I had the blisters to prove it. It was effectively my full-time job for several days.

For my part, the wiki process is fine so long as people actually keep on top of it instead of leaving me to play catch up on their behalf. I agree though that updating the wiki with all the existing MSX hacks is going to be a mammoth task since we're already on the backfoot, and I'm back in work now so I don't have time to jump on it.

I could maybe hack together a Python script to do fuzzy matching against a list of retail titles and generate wiki formatted pages if people were willing to provide organized zips of the latest versions of their hacks.
Revo
Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:51 pm
I did something like 40% of the pages/update of GG2SMS section but yeah why not. And the last updates you did was not even complete...

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:08 pm
Revo wrote
I did something like 40% of the pages/update of GG2SMS section but yeah why not. And the last updates you did was not even complete...

In that case, I apologize. I wasn't aware that there'd been much activity on GG2SMS since last summer, and the updates were as complete as I could reasonably get them given that I had to trawl the forum thread to get them.

Sorry for being an ass.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:25 pm
Anyway, the offer still stands to automate as much of generating the wiki pages as possible to catch up with the backlog, if people are interested in that.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:16 am
Here's Oil's Well and Gorf.

To start Gorf, hold right button and up.
To start Oil's Well, wait for the green menu screen and press fire.
OilsWell-COL2SG.zip (12.58 KB)
Gorf-COL2SG.zip (17.14 KB)

Revo
Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:49 am
Wafer wrote
Revo wrote

In that case, I apologize. I wasn't aware that there'd been much activity on GG2SMS since last summer, and the updates were as complete as I could reasonably get them given that I had to trawl the forum thread to get them.

Sorry for being an ass.

This have nothing to do with activity on GG2SMS since last summer. You just missed some conversion and update. I don't think your an ass, you just wrong by saying that I just post ROM here. I created more than 100 pages here for GG2SMS, Hack, Homebrew; and did a lot of updates (without putting my pseudo everywhere like I worked on these) ;)

Revo
Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:41 pm
under4mhz wrote
Here's Oil's Well and Gorf.

To start Gorf, hold right button and up.
To start Oil's Well, wait for the green menu screen and press fire.

You didn't notice anything special about Oil's Well? There is no enemies ah ah^^ Way more simple like that, but unfortunately there is enemies in the original game.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:23 pm
Wafer: you are right, sincere apologies for overlooking your contributions.

One of the reason for me noticing the very recent changes is that two months ago Maxim connected the RSS feed to Discord and now all new or edit pages appears there. I think it was generally a great move for the community. Btw history are available on a per-section basis too https://www.smspower.org/Hacks/RecentChanges for reference.

Thank you both and of course Revo and anyone involved in the greater Wiki and any pages and this forum :)

I don't exactly now the steps nor if a Python script would meaningfully be helpful and not create other issues. I personally find that when I edit the wiki for other contents, it is the addition of screenshots that takes the most time.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:44 pm
Revo wrote
I don't think your an ass, you just wrong by saying that I just post ROM here. I created more than 100 pages here for GG2SMS, Hack, Homebrew; and did a lot of updates (without putting my pseudo everywhere like I worked on these) ;)

Thanks for being understanding :) I'll do better in the future.

The main reason I think a Python script might help is if we could go from a list of filenames straight to a bunch of boilerplate wiki-formatted text with appropriate wiki URLs then we'd have at least an online centralized list of all the hacks that people could dive in and start adding their notes manually. It's the kind of thing I'd bash together in about an hour given a small sample set, and then adjust as necessary as I fed it more data. I'm mainly thinking about just catching up with the backlog of existing hacks that will need pages creating.

So far as screenshots go, I think we could probably afford to forego that in most cases? At least with the MSX titles most of them convert so well at this point that screenshots won't really illustrate anything of consequence.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:21 pm
The site structure wants at least a title screen to show for any hack, although that won’t necessarily apply for SG to CV hacks if we choose to exclude them. Of course these will generally be identical - although some additional text would be a nice addition, that’s not trivial.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:46 pm
BTW, actually more on-topic @under4mhz I hope you don't mind that I used your modded BIOS as the basis for my controller routine. I maybe should've asked beforehand but I was keen to get stuck into things and I'm used to just disassembling other people's GG2SMS hacks to work on the controls.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:17 am
I don't mind at all. I originally ported the BIOS in the hope someone with more interest in the project would take it up.

Find attached the tool I wrote to do the conversion.
col2sg-1.01.zip (19.4 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:22 pm
Guys.

Space Invaders Collection on SMS to MSX.
Did anyone see what's happening?
Post Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:38 pm
NVM, it's just the original Coleco file.
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:23 am
Stokes wrote
[I got Donkey Kong's intro working.

Hello ,
have you got news for Donkey Kong ?

Are you still working on COLECO ports ?
Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:43 am
msx45 wrote
Stokes wrote
[I got Donkey Kong's intro working.

Hello ,
have you got news for Donkey Kong ?

Are you still working on COLECO ports ?

Yes, Donkey Kong although is having some problems, I'ma check it out.
Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:31 pm
I did a new game. Space Hunter. Works mostly on the SMS / Mark III. It is also successful on Gearsystem.
Space Hunter.zip (16.21 KB)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:14 pm
Yet another around. Tic Tac Toe. Although the intro works, the rest just turns into lines.
Tic Tac Toe.zip (7.75 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:48 pm
I just realized that in the VDP, 80h is the first start for the video code, so with the left buttons being output, it's messing up the graphics. I also changed those. Tic Tac Toe is still not working for whatever reason.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:12 pm
A new game. Space Invasion. Press up or left in the menu, start a game with the pause button, and play with down and right.
Space Invasion.zip (12.96 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:17 pm
Here's Bunny. It's buggy, but works.
Bunny.zip (18.36 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:32 pm
Here's Amazing Bumpman.
Amazing Bumpman.zip (13.79 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:01 pm
Here's Pepper II. The intro and menu is working, but the game won't start.
Pepper II.zip (17.13 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:13 pm
Here's Lady Bug. Other sprites won't show, but works partially.
Lady Bug.zip (14.27 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:56 pm
Two new games.
Time Pilot.zip (16.67 KB)
Rolloverture.zip (14.21 KB)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 pm
Thank you Stockes for all these ports. It's great to see such immense progress in the porting of ColecoVision games. Do you think you could also port Turbo to SG-1000/SMS? It always wondered my why SEGA didn't port it by themselves, seeing as it was the successor to SEGA's Monaco Grand Prix and had great graphics that would have been ideal to showcase the graphical power of the SG-1000. Turbo for ColecoVision uses the Driving Controller, but there exists a hack by Daniel Bienvenu to use the standard controller instead. This hack could be used as a base for an SG-1000/SMS port.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!