Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - M2/Sega announced GG Aleste 3, a real new game.

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
M2/Sega announced GG Aleste 3, a real new game.
Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:16 pm
I'm not sure if it's going to be part of the expensive limited-edition bundle of the Aleste Collection, or something separate.
But it's said it will be a real, functional physical game.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:04 pm
Last edited by Bock on Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Attached is the cover art from
https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1309758745052770304/photo/1

M2 also made a mockup box and cartridge:
https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1309760767361597440
"もし本当にゲームギアで発売されていたら…?ということで、架空パッケージを作ってみましたがどうでしょう。 #アレスタコレクション #アレスタ #コンパイル #M2STG"

Trailer:

Shots:
https://www.4gamer.net/games/529/G052952/20200923127/
GG Aleste 3 Mockup.jpg (728.94 KB)
GG Aleste 3 Mockup.jpg
GG Aleste 3 Cover.jpg (334.53 KB)
GG Aleste 3 Cover.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:09 pm
Added a page for the game :)
https://www.smspower.org/Games/GGAleste3-GG
Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:42 pm
What nice news!

Presumably this game is in addition to Aleste Branch, which was announced by M2 as being in development a couple of years ago and put on hold along with one or two other original projects?

Exciting news in any case.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:25 am
OM!
Das ist wunderbar!
Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:13 pm
I really hope this gets a cart release for the GG. GG Aleste 2 is a great game and a sequel is something I don’t think even the biggest Compile fan ever thought would happen.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:04 am
As a M2 and Compile fan, I must say I'm a little disapointed with the number of titles included in this collection, specially considering Play-Asia's pre-order price is a little high even considering a brand new game is included in this pack... Even more if we consider the excellent treatment and service M2 did to their PS2's Sega Ages 2500 series and other non-Sega collections in the past, specially the Fantasy Zone Complete Collection, who brings all the Fantasy Zone games found in all Sega plataforms, plus an exclusive System 16 remake of Fantasy Zone 2...

Just to note, counting with the new GG Aleste 3 and not counting the upcoming Aleste Branch, there's a total of 11 games in all Aleste / Power Strike series, all across Sega and non-Sega plataforms, who includes...
> Aleste / Power Strike (Mark III, 1988)
> Aleste (MSX2, 1988)
> Aleste Gaiden (MSX2, 1989)
> Aleste 2 (MSX2, 1989)
> Musha Aleste / MUSHA (Mega Drive, 1990)
> GG Aleste (Game Gear, 1991)
> Super Aleste / Space Megaforce (SNES, 1992)
> Dennin Aleste / Robo Aleste (Mega-CD, 1992)
> GG Aleste II / Power Strike II (Game Gear, 1993)
> Power Strike II (Master System, 1993)
> GG Aleste 3 (Game Gear, 2020)

At least, and to be fair, GG Aleste 3 is all hype... It's a real surprise to see a new Game Gear game in 2020. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:37 am
Is there another series with a 27 year gap between releases?
Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:12 am
rouken wrote

Just to note, counting with the new GG Aleste 3 and not counting the upcoming Aleste Branch, there's a total of 11 games in all Aleste / Power Strike series, all across Sega and non-Sega plataforms, who includes...
> Aleste / Power Strike (Mark III, 1988)
> Aleste (MSX2, 1988)
> Aleste Gaiden (MSX2, 1989)
> Aleste 2 (MSX2, 1989)
> Musha Aleste / MUSHA (Mega Drive, 1990)
> GG Aleste (Game Gear, 1991)
> Super Aleste / Space Megaforce (SNES, 1992)
> Dennin Aleste / Robo Aleste (Mega-CD, 1992)
> GG Aleste II / Power Strike II (Game Gear, 1993)
> Power Strike II (Master System, 1993)
> GG Aleste 3 (Game Gear, 2020)

At least, and to be fair, GG Aleste 3 is all hype... It's a real surprise to see a new Game Gear game in 2020. :)

I think they explained in twitter that most of the games had rights issues, so they couldn't release them
Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:33 pm
Last edited by rouken on Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
kusfo wrote
I think they explained in twitter that most of the games had rights issues, so they couldn't release them

I thought about that... But that don't make much sense... Like... All Aleste games are Compile Heart's properties today.

The only problem about rights in re-release other Aleste games I can see is about each game's home system emulation.

Once this collection have Sega's hands involved, M2 can make use of emulation of any Sega system and, even so, there's no Mega Drive or Mega CD Aleste games included in this pack. Even M2 mastering the Mega Drive emulation, Musha Aleste was not included, and I don't have any sign of a retail Mega CD game re-released by M2... Maybe because offer emulation of the Mega Drive's add-ons could be a bit difficult to archive perfect performance... I think it's about time to M2 think about put their efforts to extend the emulation mastering for other Sega plataforms like Mega CD, 32X or Sega Saturn.

In the SNES case, I don't think it is the case of rights... They already worked with emulated SNES games very recently (Darius Cozmic Collection: Consume Edition, Castlevania Anniversary Collection, Contra Anniversary Collection). So, add one SNES game could not be a big deal... But who knows what happens behind the scenes...

The only system could be a problem is the MSX2, but I don't think it's the case too. I don't think Microsoft or ASCII could oppose about it, specially MSX games had MSX emulation to the Virtual Console service, and M2 already did MSX emulations in the past (like the Konami's shooting collections for PSP). But who knows today and, again, who knows what happens behind the scenes...

Anyway, I just think the Play-Asia's price is a bit expensive for a collection with less than a half of the Aleste history, even counting with the new GG Aleste 3, who will be the collection's selling point...

By the way, can you link M2's Twitter post you cited? I got very curious to see...

If today M2 is having difficulties to offer all Aleste games in one collection, I'm afraid about the idea of pack the other Compile's shooting games, who includes...

> Zanac (MSX, FDS, NES, 1986)
> Zanac EX (MSX2, 1986)
> The Guardian Legend (NES, 1988)
> Gunhed (PC Engine, 1989)
> Gun-Nac (NES, 1990)
> Seirei Senshi Spriggan (PC Engine CD, 1991)
> Spriggan mark2: Re-Terraform Project (PC Engine CD, 1992)
> Sylphia (PC Engine CD, 1993)
> Spriggan Powered (Super Famicom, 1996)
> Rude Breaker (PC-9801, Windows, 1996)
> Zanac Neo (from Zanac X Zanac) (PlayStation, 2001)

As you can see, any of these games in this list are present in any Sega plataform. And yes... PC Engine emulation was done by M2 in Darius Cozmic Collection: Consume Edition... FDS, PC-98 and PlayStation emulation could be new for M2 (from what I know).
Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:59 pm
That was brought in this thread with Naeval (the guy that is managing the Alex Kidd remake). I don't know how certain it is:

https://twitter.com/Pocket_Lucho/status/1306255151641038850
Post Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:21 pm
I am very happy to see that new official (and physical) games for old consoles are coming!! It is always believed that homebrew and retro are small communities, but the last recent years they are gathering huge attention from the mainstream gaming sites and gamers.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:52 pm
If they realize a Game Gear port, I´m going to support it instantly. First, they want to sell the collection enough, and then with a little luck, I hope a GG version comes. Thank you KingMike for discovering this!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:39 am
Preview of GG Aleste 3
https://dengekionline.com/articles/55750/
Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:04 pm
Bock wrote
Preview of GG Aleste 3
https://dengekionline.com/articles/55750/

Very interesting, thanks. Those bosses look surprisingly like those found in earlier Cave games (DonPachi, Dangun Feveron).

The article confirms that there are no plans for releasing the game as a standalone GG cart. Bummer!
Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:24 pm
if I get any more excited for this game Im going to be have to be rushed to the hospital :O
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:37 pm
https://twitter.com/BEEP_akihabara/status/1336637025261211650
EoywQxjVoAAUNlV.jpg (2.41 MB)
EoywQxjVoAAUNlV.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm
Takayuki Komabayashi the director of this used to work at BEEP Shop a few years ago. I managed to snag some of the Sega AI software thanks to his help.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:44 pm
Revo, omg! I can only imagine how awesome ggaleste 3 is going to be!

best regards,
- dink
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:52 pm
Aleste Collection incl GG Aleste 3 was released yesterday and it available on PSN and eShop Japan (you can buy from Switch eShop Japan with points card, there are guides online).

Additionally, the GG White Micro appears to contains a mini-game in the Staff Credits. The game is programmed by Satoshi Fujishima and is actually a SMS game of Compile (programming e.g. SMS version of Golvellius, probably more but we haven't connected all the nicknames/name in Credits).

M2 have been doing giveway for GG Aleste 3 box and cartridge sticker in various places. e.g. there's currently a scoring context for that "Staff Roll" mini-game on twitter using the hash-tag #dokafli_score where are are going to give away 20 of those:

https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1342325596441858048
https://twitter.com/hashtag/dokafli_score

All the manuals for Aleste/Power Strike games including GG Aleste 3 are available for download here:
https://m2stg.com/aleste-collection/manual.php

• Site Admin
Manuals
Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:55 pm
Attached are the manuals from
ggm_manual.pdf (2.39 MB)
bwm_manual.pdf (585.07 KB)
gga_manual.pdf (1.38 MB)
gga2_manual.pdf (1.04 MB)
gga3_manual.pdf (901.82 KB)
alst_manual.pdf (1.08 MB)
ps2_manual.pdf (1.51 MB)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:44 pm
Last edited by rouken on Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Nice!! Manual preservation in something very important for me, specially there aren't many places dedicted in archive digital manuals of old games to seek for official game information, like game story, characters and enemies names, stage names, etc.

For example, it's because of the digital manual of Puyo Puyo 2 for Mega Drive I know the tower where all the plot of the game happens is called West Tower (in japanese, 西にある塔 / "Nishi ni aru Tou").

A manual I would love to put my eyes in is the japanese manual of Collumns III for Mega Drive.

Again, nice job, Bock!!! :D
Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:16 pm
rouken wrote
A manual I would love to put my eyes in is the japanese manual of Collumns III for Mega Drive.

I don't have a scanner handy but I can take some phone pics if I can find the game.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:42 pm
rouken wrote

Columns III JP Manual

I put the pics in a .rar archive on Google Drive, it should let you download from this link. Give me a shout if it doesn't work.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:22 pm
Bought for over ¥5000 of Aleste 3 merchandise from the Phrasegallery to score the box. Now just to get the cartridge sticker... @Bock are you able to get a few from M2?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:37 pm
S.F wrote
Bought for over ¥5000 of Aleste 3 merchandise from the Phrasegallery to score the box. Now just to get the cartridge sticker... @Bock are you able to get a few from M2?

Yes I think so, working on it.
Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:42 pm
Bock wrote
S.F wrote

Yes I think so, working on it.

That would be excellent. *crosses fingers*
Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:19 pm
segasonic wrote
rouken wrote

Columns III JP Manual

I put the pics in a .rar archive on Google Drive, it should let you download from this link. Give me a shout if it doesn't work.

WOW!!! It was like my birthday's present!! (My birthday was Dec., 28th). Thank you very much, segasonic!!!! =D
Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:33 pm
rouken wrote
WOW!!! It was like my birthday's present!! (My birthday was Dec., 28th). Thank you very much, segasonic!!!! =D

You're very welcome, happy birthday! :)
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:53 am
A Game Gear Micro White with a selection of Power Strike/Aleste games arrived in my mail today with some PS4 disk. The games are fun, though the screen is tiny and pixels a bit misshapen even with the "Big Window" and the sound quality is not great (a bit better through headphones though.)

The packaging is a charming tribute too.

Does anyone know whether the included GG Aleste 3 can be somehow run on original Sega 8-bit hardware using a flash cartridge or something, provided I can dump the firmware using the micro USB port and flash loader button inside the battery compartment? Playing it, it somehow feels like it has better (emulated?) hardware than a Game Gear, but I can't be sure...

A bit off topic but from the same handheld:

Also unfortunately the emulator for SMS Aleste feels like it's stuttering somehow on the title screen music, but the game remains playable

Oh and does anyone know what the SMS Aleste "easy mode" changes? Is there an equivalent patch for the original game somewhere?

edit: also slightly disconcerting is that in the menu system the 2 button is primary action and 1 button secondary/cancel... I guess this matches Japanese Playstation (and Ni****do) conventions positionally though?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:24 am
[quote="segasonic"]
rouken wrote

Thank you!! You is very kind... ^_^

Better than this is if I can have access of the japanese manual of GG's Super Columns too... But it will be too much for asking... (*´∀`*)

bsittler wrote
Does anyone know whether the included GG Aleste 3 can be somehow run on original Sega 8-bit hardware using a flash cartridge or something, provided I can dump the firmware using the micro USB port and flash loader button inside the battery compartment? Playing it, it somehow feels like it has better (emulated?) hardware than a Game Gear, but I can't be sure...

The GG Alest 3 was build to run at the original GG hardware. So, extracting the ROM is just a matter of time (please, wait some time before dump the ROM... Let the game sell first... Support M2 buying the game... If it's the case, let's ask for a western release). M2 have a passion to make new games for old systems, like Fantasy Zone II DX, who is a remake of the SMS Fantasy Zone II builded using the System 16, but updated with more RAM (it is called System 16C). M2's most wished remake is to create a remake of SMD's Space Harrier II using the original Space Harrier Arcade Board. S2

About ROMs being extracted... A ROM I would love to get my hands on is the Sega Ages 2500: Phantasy Star Collection version of Phantasy Star III (all regions), because the ROM in this collection, like the Sega Saturn version, offers 4 save slots. So, you don't need to erase your previous saves to try other generations... You can keep one save for each generation.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:09 am
[quote="rouken"]
segasonic wrote
rouken wrote

Better than this is if I can have access of the japanese manual of GG's Super Columns too... But it will be too much for asking... (*´∀`*)

bsittler wrote

The GG Alest 3 was build to run at the original GG hardware. So, extracting the ROM is just a matter of time (please, wait some time before dump the ROM... Let the game sell first... Support M2 buying the game... If it's the case, let's ask for a western release). M2 have a passion to make new games for old systems, like Fantasy Zone II DX, who is a remake of the SMS Fantasy Zone II builded using the System 16, but updated with more RAM (it is called System 16C). M2's most wished remake is to create a remake of SMD's Space Harrier II using the original Space Harrier Arcade Board. S2

About ROMs being extracted... A ROM I would love to get my hands on is the Sega Ages 2500: Phantasy Star Collection version of Phantasy Star III (all regions), because the ROM in this collection, like the Sega Saturn version, offers 4 save slots. So, you don't need to erase your previous saves to try other generations... You can keep one save for each generation.

Yeah, I wouldn't be sharing the rom anywhere, only extracting for my own use on the old hardware. I bought the game and I hope lots of others do too! As for the Sega Ages 2500 Phantasy Star III, would an extraction of the Saturn version work? I have the Phantasy Star Collection Saturn disc but my vague recollection is that Phantasy Star III in that instance seemed like a native Saturn port rather than some sort of Mega Drive emulation, however my memory is hazy

And happy birthday :)
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:32 am
bsittler wrote
Yeah, I wouldn't be sharing the rom anywhere, only extracting for my own use on the old hardware. I bought the game and I hope lots of others do too!

As I said, it's a matter of time to someone to it. Star Fox 2 and Darius was extracted from the SNES Classic and Genesis Mini practically at day 1. But let's wait... or play at big screen from the PS4 / Switch version...

As I said before, I wished this Aleste Collection could bring all the Aleste games in the same spirit of the M2's Sega Ages 2500 games. Four Sega 8-bit games + One new GG game is all we have in this collection from the 11 Aleste games. T_T

bsittler wrote
As for the Sega Ages 2500 Phantasy Star III, would an extraction of the Saturn version work? I have the Phantasy Star Collection Saturn disc but my vague recollection is that Phantasy Star III in that instance seemed like a native Saturn port rather than some sort of Mega Drive emulation, however my memory is hazy

I don't know if the games at SS Phantasy Star Collection is emulation or ports. The games at Sonic Jam are port. So, it's safer to go after extracting the PS2 disc, once it's emulation for sure. But I don't have the extraction tools, so... T_T

bsittler wrote

Thank you so much!! ^_^ S2
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:48 am
Now I am learning the PS2 Phantasy Star Collection wasn't released in the west.
I assumed it was, especially as a more attainable goal after the cancellation of the Phantasy Star Trilogy (which to my reading, was that Sony wouldn't let them release the PS Generation games unless they were sold as budget games or a compilation. One could only imagine that third game was to be a PS4 remake. As much as I hear that is probably one of the last games people would like to see Sega make a rushed-out remake of. :P )

I probably confused it with the Sega Genesis Collection, which had the three Genesis games on it. But was done by Digital Eclipse, who I read at that time was not as well-regarded, rather than M2.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:50 am
rouken wrote
bsittler wrote
Yeah, I wouldn't be sharing the rom anywhere, only extracting for my own use on the old hardware. I bought the game and I hope lots of others do too!

As I said, it's a matter of time to someone to it. Star Fox 2 and Darius was extracted from the SNES Classic and Genesis Mini practically at day 1. But let's wait... or play at big screen from the PS4 / Switch version...

As I said before, I wished this Aleste Collection could bring all the Aleste games in the same spirit of the M2's Sega Ages 2500 games. Four Sega 8-bit games + One new GG game is all we have in this collection from the 11 Aleste games. T_T

bsittler wrote
As for the Sega Ages 2500 Phantasy Star III, would an extraction of the Saturn version work? I have the Phantasy Star Collection Saturn disc but my vague recollection is that Phantasy Star III in that instance seemed like a native Saturn port rather than some sort of Mega Drive emulation, however my memory is hazy

I don't know if the games at SS Phantasy Star Collection is emulation or ports. The games at Sonic Jam are port. So, it's safer to go after extracting the PS2 disc, once it's emulation for sure. But I don't have the extraction tools, so... T_T

bsittler wrote

Thank you so much!! ^_^ S2

I agree, a larger Aleste tribute would be even more welcome! As would the option to purchase rom files playable on flash cartridges (or even just physical cartridge Game Gear/SMS/MSX etc. reissues), but I understand piracy could ensue and the costs are likely prohibitive for the tiny expected market for a physical re-release

As for progress in extracting firmware o guess it's already happening elsewhere https://www.twitter.com/GMMan_BZFlag/status/1344066815316480002
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:09 am
In addition to the "credits game" there's a license viewer where you can listen to a couple tunes (including Greensleeves) while reading various open source and free software licenses

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:11 am
rouken wrote

I'll see what I can do 🙂
Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:31 pm

This file (PS2) will autodestruct one day: https://www.sendspace.com/file/de2ms4 :)

Anyway it seems to say just 2 save game slots in there... maybe some real-time patch from the internal emulator ? The Saturn version contains no roms inside so it is probably re-programmed for the console.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:48 am
rouken wrote

Super Columns JP Manual

There you go, enjoy!
Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:48 am
Bock wrote
Aleste Collection incl GG Aleste 3 was released yesterday and it available on PSN and eShop Japan (you can buy from Switch eShop Japan with points card, there are guides online).

Additionally, the GG White Micro appears to contains a mini-game in the Staff Credits. The game is programmed by Satoshi Fujishima and is actually a SMS game of Compile (programming e.g. SMS version of Golvellius, probably more but we haven't connected all the nicknames/name in Credits).

M2 have been doing giveway for GG Aleste 3 box and cartridge sticker in various places. e.g. there's currently a scoring context for that "Staff Roll" mini-game on twitter using the hash-tag #dokafli_score where are are going to give away 20 of those:

https://twitter.com/M2_game/status/1342325596441858048
https://twitter.com/hashtag/dokafli_score

All the manuals for Aleste/Power Strike games including GG Aleste 3 are available for download here:

what an awesome post Bock -- you are the master!

and this other segasonic person...oh boy this is gonna get confusing >.<
Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:59 pm
I would die to get a physical version of GG Aleste 3 for the original Game Gear ! If is was available it would for sure sell very well !
I bought the Aleste collection switch version even if it was only available in Japan (I'm in France), but an European release would have been great ! Now I'm just expecting that physical GG release to happen and if it's not happening, then I'll wait for a rom dump compatible with my GG EverDrive ... There is nothing like playing on a real Game Gear !
Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:50 pm
Last edited by rouken on Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ok, the following text have nothing to do with the current topic aside they was brought into discursion during the topic's conversation. So, just take it as a quick off-topic reply.

asper wrote
This file (PS2) will autodestruct one day: https://www.sendspace.com/file/de2ms4 :)

Anyway it seems to say just 2 save game slots in there... maybe some real-time patch from the internal emulator ? The Saturn version contains no roms inside so it is probably re-programmed for the console.

It's amazing the two extra slots is something added real-time into the game, and not patching the original ROMs. But sad at the same time there's no official Phantasy Star III ROM with 4 Save Slots. Anyway, thanks for the help, asper. It was a nice information to learn.

segasonic wrote
Columns III JP Manual

segasonic wrote
Super Columns JP Manual

There you go, enjoy!

Thanks again, segasonic. They are the two Columns manuals I was looking for to get some information...

What I learn from them.

1) Columns III: The North American manual of Columns III is almost an 1:1 translation of the japanese manual, with some differences, like there's no chicken to explain the game in the english manual, and the strange decision to put a dude over the pile of gems in the game's cover and manual (if this dude is someone famous, or someone important at the game industry, I'll be curious to know). I was hoping in the japanese manual could list the name of the opponents you face in Pyramid Columns mode, but it's lacking in both manuals. At least, I could hope if the chicken could have an official name in the japanese manual, but I can't find anything... at least with my knowledge of the japanese language. But it looks like the chicken who works as a tutorial mascot at the game is just a nameless chicken...

2) Super Colomns: Acording from the manual of the original Columns game for the Sega's home systems, it's said Columns is a game played by the merchants of Phoenicia, but the cited place is only used again in Super Colomns. Super Columns in the only Columns game to use a Story Mode around Phoenicia with dedicated characters (other Columns games uses other characters, like Sakura Wars, Tezuka characters, or original characters without any link with Phoenicia). Acording with the US manual, there's a sacred amulet who brings peace to Phoenicia. But an evil merchant called Surhand steal the amulet to make all Phoenicia's citizens to do the evil merchant's biddings. Now the player must face Surhand to take the amulet back to its right place, but the player must face Surhand's minions first (Spoiler Alert: Surhand is a girl!!). The US manual don't list the oponent names aside Surhand's, but the japanese manual yes. As an informative purpose, I'll list the name of the characters in japanese (and my translation, but it can be a wrong translation... I'll accept corrections) in order you face them in the game: マハリド (Mahalid), カリラド・シン (Kalirad Shin), ザイダ (Zaida), ア・ブドゥー (A-Bdoo), スルハンド (Surhand). As my japanese knowledge is minimum to basic, I can't read the additional information about the characters, aside Zaida being a bodyguard, and if the character the player controls have a name, or if he is just an avatar.

Anyway, this off-topic was very informative to me. Thanks to asper, segasonic and everybody for this help. :-)
Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:35 pm
rouken wrote
the strange decision to put a dude over the pile of gems in the game's cover and manual (if this dude is someone famous, or someone important at the game industry, I'll be curious to know)

I don't think he's anyone famous, just another example of awful Genesis box art. At least it's not as bad as Phalanx on the SNES 😂
Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:02 pm
I thought Alex of the stream team Retro Pals had imagined that the Columns III NA boxart guy is "Mr. Victor Tokai himself". :D
Yes, I'm sure they're joking and know VIC Tokai is not a person.
But they do consider Mansion of Hidden Souls for Sega CD one of their favorite games.
I do like the NA magazine ad though, with photos each of potato chips, chocolate bars and Columns III boxes. It's like "All of these are habit-forming, but only one of them won't give you zits." I'm not too familiar on the subject but do the first two give you them either? :D

Wait, there's actually a meme for that guy?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:17 am
segasonic wrote
I don't think he's anyone famous, just another example of awful Genesis box art. At least it's not as bad as Phalanx on the SNES 😂

WHAT!? Phalanx's cover is a masterpiece!! Show some respect!!

LOL 😂

KingMike wrote
I thought Alex of the stream team Retro Pals had imagined that the Columns III NA boxart guy is "Mr. Victor Tokai himself". :D
Yes, I'm sure they're joking and know VIC Tokai is not a person.

Yeah... That why I said he could be "someone important at the game industry" or, in this case, someone important at Vic Tokai.

KingMike wrote
But they do consider Mansion of Hidden Souls for Sega CD one of their favorite games.

Except Mansion of Hidden Souls is a Sega game, but localizated to the US by Vic Tokai, like Switch (the Mega CD game, not the system) is a Sega game, but localizated to the US by Data East as Panic!. Aside of publish games from other studios, Vic Tokai localizated many games from other companies to the US, and many from Sega, inclusing Shinobi for Saturn... But I love Vic Tokai original games, including Magical Doropie, Psycho Fox, Decap Attack and Battle Mania.

By the way, a big wish of mine is Sega and M2 bring some kind of Vic Tokai's Complete Anthology, with all games from Vic Tokai. Er... I know it's difficult because: 1) Vic Tokai made many games using licences (Golgo 13, Magical Hat, MazinSaga, Youko Minamino, etc...), so it could be difficult and/or expensive to make use of these licences again and all together; 2) There's some "naughty" games done by Vic (Block Gal, Playboy Karaoke Collection), so... +18 rating detected!!; and... 3) Vic have a big list of original games to put all in one single collection, without counting they are housed in many different plataforms.

And looking by the Aleste Collection, it's very possible a Vic Tokai Collection by Sega and M2 will be very limitated in number of games, and the games in such collection will be the games who Sega owns (Psycho Fox, DecapAttack, Whip Rush), and some of Vic Tokai's own games housed at Sega systems, like Socket / Time Dominator 1st, Trouble Shooter / Battle Mania, and Battle Mania Daiginjou. But maybe M2 can work with Takayan (is Takayan still alive?) and bring the so wished Battlemania NY: Gankutsujou to life to put in such collection. I could buy such collection just for Battlemania NY: Gankutsujou alone, and counting both original Battle Mania games are super expensive today, this collection will have some value by default!! S2

KingMike wrote
I do like the NA magazine ad though, with photos each of potato chips, chocolate bars and Columns III boxes. It's like "All of these are habit-forming, but only one of them won't give you zits." I'm not too familiar on the subject but do the first two give you them either? :D

Not for me. I had zits (not much) without eating potato chips or chocolate bars... -_-

KingMike wrote
Wait, there's actually a meme for that guy?

If there's memes, share to us, pleeeeeease...
Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:49 pm
When I was searching Google for scans of the magazine ad mentioned, one of its suggestions was "Columns III guy" and apparently some people made images of Columns III Guy inserted into other games, such as even the Phalanx art.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:08 am
hate to break up the Columns talk, but can anyone explain the in-game options available? All of the text is in Japanese.

And dumb Q: GG Aleste 3 is just a single button game, correct? Not like some of the earlier efforts where the second button does alt-fire?
Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:59 am
SavagePencil wrote
hate to break up the Columns talk, but can anyone explain the in-game options available? All of the text is in Japanese.

And dumb Q: GG Aleste 3 is just a single button game, correct? Not like some of the earlier efforts where the second button does alt-fire?

I tested GG Aleste 3 only one time and I can say that only one button works.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:59 am
SavagePencil wrote

I think Shmup Junkie showed translations of the menus in his YT-review of the collection.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:27 pm
Thanks for that! From a technical standpoint, this game is really quite amazing. I think it gives Recca a run for its money.
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!