Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Looking to re-rip VGM's for Pengo (GG)

Reply to topic
Looking to re-rip VGM's for Pengo (GG)
Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:36 pm
Recently I decided to check out downloads for the Game Gear version of Pengo (after having lost my original vgm's for it to a hard drive failure) and there were a few things missed in the rip that were in a vgm download that's no longer available on any site.

The Japanese version of Pengo contains "Popcorn" as the first level theme and the VGM rip currently on offer, since it's based on the US version, omits the song entirely from the rip. Both level themes also have a fast version that I've triggered a good few times in the arcade original but here they don't seem to happen so they may be unused.

Thus I've considered re-ripping VGM's of the Japanese version of Pengo (or at least the three tracks missing from the current rip) so every song, used and unused, is preserved and available for listening- though I'd need some advice/guidance on how to extract and record .vgm's if i decide to go forth with it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:57 pm
https://www.smspower.org/Music/HowToMakeVGMs may help.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:54 pm
I took a look around and there's not much there that would help me with getting the remaining songs- the game is sound heavy, has no "Sounds Off" option or Sound Test, and all four channels affect the game music in some way if you turn one off.

It's also pretty difficult to survive for the allotted time needed to record just one loop (considering the game is an adaptation of an arcade game) and eventually you will be left with no option but to slide the ice blocks around to attack- which just generates more sound effects over the music.

I also wouldn't know how to get the two "fast" tracks to play/record considering they're harder to access, if it's even possible to get to them.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:07 am
I made the Pengo pack, so I think I should participate here.

Thanks for your insights, I didn't know about Popcorn, and while I did know about the faster version of the other in-game tune, I didn't think it was worth including in the pack, something I now admit that was a mistake on my part (in my defense, I was younger back then).

Perhaps I should look into making those rips myself, to amend my own error.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:44 pm
Tom wrote
I made the Pengo pack, so I think I should participate here.

Thanks for your insights, I didn't know about Popcorn, and while I did know about the faster version of the other in-game tune, I didn't think it was worth including in the pack, something I now admit that was a mistake on my part (in my defense, I was younger back then).

Perhaps I should look into making those rips myself, to amend my own error.

If you'd like to do the honors I'd appreciate it- I've been guilty of overlooking things in the past myself, including with OST rips.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:17 am
I haven't done any vgm work in years, am I still doing it right?

Please review these and I'll add them to the proper pack eventually.

Note that I pulled the "In-Game Music" name from the existing pack, but it might need to be renamed to something else now that there are two tunes. Also, I was torn between "fast" and "faster", any opinions?

One last note, the existing pack lacks the "ペンゴ" name in the Japanese tags, let this be a note to myself in case I forget when I update the pack.
Popcorn.vgz (4.49 KB)
Popcorn (fast).vgz (2.78 KB)
In-Game Music (fast).vgz (6.21 KB)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:14 am
These are looking good! All the tags look to be in their proper places and as for the Fast/Faster versions, I prefer Fast at the end of the track titles.

As for the In-Game Music track, you should be fine with keeping it as is since it's the default theme in all but the Japanese release (and I kept it that name on my old computer), If anything it could be changed to "Alternate Music", "Secondary Music", or something related to it being the theme that replaced Popcorn in the later arcade builds but if I had one choice I'd keep it as In-Game Music.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:23 am
Alright, thanks for your feedback. It only took me sixteen years but maybe this vgm pack can finally be complete now. You know what they say, better late than never.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:55 am
Tom wrote
Alright, thanks for your feedback. It only took me sixteen years but maybe this vgm pack can finally be complete now. You know what they say, better late than never.

Definitely.

I gave the Popcorn track a more through listen and the loop may be off by a few milliseconds or two, just thought I'd bring that up unless it's a thing with my VGM player.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:24 am
While that's definitely possible (after all, I more than demonstrated that I can make mistakes), this time I feel quite confident that it is correct, because I didn't find the loop points by hand like we used to do in the past, but I used ValleyBell's loop finder, which looks for correspondences at the data level, and it found an exact match.

On top of that, since by my nature I always tend to second guess everything I do, I also spent some minutes playing both the raw and the trimmed vgms at the same time, and they seemed to stay in sync. I made sure to double check everything this time, I didn't want to add more mistakes.
Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:27 am
Tom wrote
While that's definitely possible (after all, I more than demonstrated that I can make mistakes), this time I feel quite confident that it is correct, because I didn't find the loop points by hand like we used to do in the past, but I used ValleyBell's loop finder, which looks for correspondences at the data level, and it found an exact match.

On top of that, since by my nature I always tend to second guess everything I do, I also spent some minutes playing both the raw and the trimmed vgms at the same time, and they seemed to stay in sync. I made sure to double check everything this time, I didn't want to add more mistakes.

Sounds good, and thanks for double-checking everything over.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!