Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Cartridge Slot Extension

Reply to topic
SMS Cartridge Slot Extension
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:06 pm
Ok, so here's the long and short of it. I miss playing with the light phaser and those AMAZING 3D glasses. Zaxxon 3D, ugh...what a game.

I am building a custom Arcade cabinet to house a 32" Sony Trinitron tube.
I plan to use my currently unused 2nd SMS system. Basically just an entertainment system disguised as an arcade. It will have arcade buttons and joysticks as well as ports for using the light-phaser or standard control pad.

What I need is an "extension slot" that allows me to locate the cart slot further away from the base unit. I would love to have one for the Genesis as well to give me even more playability.

I don't want to do any modding or soldering to the base unit.

Does anyone here have any idea where to point me?
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:25 pm
Something like this?

https://www.smspower.org/Development/GenderAdapter

https://www.smspower.org/Shop/GenderAdapter

Also picked up Zaxxon 3D recently, still waiting on the glasses though. Glad to hear an encouraging account of the effect.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:42 pm
I did see the gender adapter. So yes, similar to that but for the main cart slot and around 24" of length.

If you haven't had the pleasure of using the glasses they take some time to either get used to or you just play until you get too sick to play anymore. LOL I hope you get as much joy out of the glasses as I do!

Maze Hunter 3D is another wonderful 3D game to have IMO.

Much like the PCI-E extension cable for GPU's in the pic.
PCI-E Extension.jpeg (22.68 KB)
PCI-E Extension
PCI-E Extension.jpeg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:15 pm
I think you’ll need something custom-made by someone who can do the soldering. Putting a ribbon cable between an edge connector and a new slot - it’s a fairly standard 0.1 inch spec, the same as an ISA slot but shorter - would be relatively simple, the hard part is finding someone who can do it for you for a reasonable price.

I did search to see if I could find an ISA extension but that seems not to be a thing.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:17 pm
You should be able to construct something similar using parts similar to that of the gender adapter.

I just picked up some cart edge connectors from digikey based on the specs laid out for the gender adapter and they do they job (part # A31718-ND). Should be pretty trivial to solder one of those to a ribbon cable, and the other end to a male equivalent to produce a cartidge port "extension cable" .

EDIT: I've now seen Maxims post. I enjoy our different perspectives on soldering.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:28 pm
I have soldered a few times in my life and it’s amazing how I can have metal things physically joined by metal yet have no electrical conductivity between them :) I imagine after 2x50 connections I’d get a bit better though.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!