Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Wonder Boy Related Games & Mod Projects List

Reply to topic
Wonder Boy Related Games & Mod Projects List
Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:19 am
Last edited by Blake00 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:36 am; edited 14 times in total
Immo wrote
I would be very interested to see a list of these fan games you have acquired. Are they mostly rom hacks?

Bock wrote
I agree it would be nice if you created a thread listing everything you found or know about.

Hey guys! :)

I'm looking to engage the community to help me build an ever improving list of Wonder Boy related games out there. This place is home to a lot of knowledgeable people in the retro sega community and talented fan project devs so I can't think of a better place to ask!

Normally I don't build these lists until I've made a big website tribute list with pics, vids & demos etc however Immo & Bock expressed interest in what I've collected so far so I'm posting this early.

Long story short I create big sections on my oldschool retro website Blakes Sanctum paying tribute to the classic retro game series along with their great many successful & sadly unsuccessful fan projects (mods/sequels/spin offs etc) out there to make sure that they are never forgotten and can inspire other talented fans to create new projects in the future. For those lists I collect pics, vids, demos, and information for as many of the projects as possible. If the websites are gone, I find them on web archive, if the download sources disapear I host them myself.

In the future I plan to create a big Wonder Boy tribute page and have already collected a number of fan project demos and multimedia. I also plan to do the same with Alex Kidd and can post a list here if it interests people? I grew up playing these series as a kid so I have a huge soft spot for them.

Anyway below is a list of what I've found so far. If you have or know where I can get missing demos from or you know of fan projects I've missed (I'm sure there's plenty) please let me know. If I've got something you want let me know, I don't think I can post links here yet but we'll work something out lol!

Oh and tiny hacks where someone just replaced Mario/Sonic with WB are not really of interest to me. Improvement/addon hacks of original WB games or big hacks of other game engines with new WB levels and content are fine though!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wonder Boy related game projects list (Updated 23/10/2021) :

Original Series List:
- Wonder Boy
- Wonder Boy in Monsterland
- Wonder Boy 3 The Dragons Trap
- Wonder Boy 3 Monster Lair
- Wonder Boy in Monster World
- Monster World 4

Licenced Remakes/Sequels/Spinoffs:
- Adventure Island NES series
- Turma da Monica
- Bikkuriman World
- Saiyuuki World & Whomp Em
- Monster Lair TurboCD
- Dynastic Hero
- Wonder Boy Returns
- Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap Remake
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
- Wonder Boy Asha in Monster World Remake

Very similar games:
- Popful Mail

Fan games:
FOUND FULL GAMES/HACKS
- Aggelos - PC (by WonderBoyBobi - brother of Mig!) / Got Demo - Full game on steam
- Wonder Boy The Prophecy - PC (by WonderBoyBobi) / Got full game
- Wandering Fighter - PC (by Mig - brother of WonderBoyBobi!) / Got full game
- Wonder Boy In Monster Land The Legendary World - PC (by Mig) / Got full game
- WB In Monster Land au pays des monstres - PC (by Mig) / Got full game
- WB In Monster Land la vallee perdue - PC (by Mig) / Got full game
- Dragon's Curse Remake - PC (by Vile) / Got full game
- WonderBoy The Sword of Legend - PC (by Cyberlynx) / Got full game
- Lizardmen - PC (by Lionsoft) / Got full game
- Lizardmen A Quest for Christmas - PC (by Lionsoft) / Got full game
- Wonderboy Legends - Browser (by godlimations) / Full game online
- WB2 Heart health bar hack for WB1 (by Logbomber) / Got hack
- Thunderboy - Amiga (by Time Warp Productions) / Got full game

FOUND WIP DEMOS
- Monster World RPG - PC (by Max Team) / Got v1.2 WIP Demo
- Monster World Legends - PC (by XBuster) / Got 2017 WIP Demo
- Shantae and Asha: Monster World Arabic Adventure - PC (by XBuster) / Got 2.0.4 WIP Demo
- Wonder boy 7 - PC (by WonderBoyBobi) / Got final WIP Demo
- Wonder Boy 3 Allegro - PC (by Sonik) / Got final 1.1 WIP Demo
- WonderBoy Advance - GBA (by Hidden Dragon) / Got old v002 WIP demo - MISSING NEWER FINAL DEMO
- Thio's Odissey - Intellivision (by Oscar) / Got WIP Demo
- Wonder Boy DC - PC (by Efrei Games) / Got WIP Demo

MISSING FROM COLLECTION
- Value Boy - PC (by josyanf1) / NO DEMO FOUND OR RELEASED YET
- Super Adventure Island - N0kia (by Hudson) / WEBSITE GONE & GAME NOT FOUND
- Miky's Land - Amiga (by Michael Gibs) / NO DEMO FOUND OR RELEASED YET
- Wonder Boy in Monster Land Unreal Engine Remake - PC (by unununium / NO DEMO FOUND OR RELEASED YET

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:02 am
This list is fantastic. Can't wait to go through and look into some of them in more depth. Thank you.

I know for certain there'll be a new game you'll have to add to it soon ;-)
Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:17 pm
There's probably a ton of rebranded Wonder Boy ports.

In fact, "Adventure Island" can actually refer to two games.
The better known is the NES port of Wonder Boy, but Hudson also reused that name for the Japanese version of Dragon's Curse for TG16. (Dragon's Trap)

And there are Monster Land ports for PCE (Bikkuriman World, some kind of license tie-in game) and Famicom (Saiyuuki World, itself getting a sequel unrelated to WB called Whomp 'Em).
And Monster Lair TurboCD.
So MW4 was pretty much the only WB game Hudson didn't clone to a rival console.
Other WB clones
Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:27 pm
There is also:

Thunder Boy for the Amiga - WB clone

Super Adventure Island - a very hard to find remake of Wonder Boy in Monsterland for mobile phones; you have already listed it, but here are some screenshots:
http://gametraderz.com/gallery.php?gid=4056
Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:31 pm
That was an official port?
Wow, would want to think that especially by that point, of a mobile game, they would want to stop duplicating names of a completely separate existing game. :P
Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:06 pm
Great list!!!
I have found also this Wonderboy clone for the intellivision called "Thio's Odissey". Here is the link: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284458-wonder-boy-clone-for-intellivision/
Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:37 am
Thanks for all the responses guys! Much appreciated. Looks like I can post links now too so if anyone wants a copy of something just let me know and I'll get the link out of my word doc.

I might make a similar thread for my Alex Kidd future website too!! I've found all kinds of cool stuff for that too!

Immo wrote
This list is fantastic. Can't wait to go through and look into some of them in more depth. Thank you.
I know for certain there'll be a new game you'll have to add to it soon ;-)

Thanks mate. Oooooooohhhhh what is this new WB related game you mention?? Do please tell!!!

KingMike wrote
There's probably a ton of rebranded Wonder Boy ports...

Thanks yeah I struggled to try and find them all. Wikipedia was helpful but it looks like I still missed those ones you mentioned.

Marsil wrote
There is also:
Thunder Boy for the Amiga - WB clone
Super Adventure Island - a very hard to find remake of Wonder Boy in Monsterland for mobile phones; you have already listed it, but here are some screenshots:
http://gametraderz.com/gallery.php?gid=4056

Thank you Marsil! I'll add the Amiga one to the list. Does anyone know where we can get a copy of the Nokia super adventure island?? There are Nokia OS emulators out there so we could preserve and play this cool version if we can just bag a copy of it now!!

Estelios wrote
Great list!!!
I have found also this Wonderboy clone for the intellivision called "Thio's Odissey". Here is the link: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/284458-wonder-boy-clone-for-intellivision/

Thanks mate, I used to have an Intellivision in the 80s before I got my Sega Master System. I'll add this to the list!
Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:43 am
Arrrgh.. I've tried a couple of times before but now I just REALLY tried for 2hrs to find a copy of the Nokia Super Adventure Island (WB2 remake).

Tried various searches in google such as "Super Adventure Island Nokia " "Super Adventure Island mobile" "Super Adventure Island -snes -nes -famicon" and also tried putting the download link posted in this video of the game's description into webarchive but its just gone!! :(

So annoying that the title is recycled so much as there's now a bloody android game of the same name that's basically super mario with some snes adventure island graphics lol.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wonder-boy-in-monster-land/
Interestingly this guy talks about how the Nokia Super Adventure Island was re-released in 2010 and posts some screenshots but he doesn't specify what mobile OS it was made for in Japan. Also yet again hudson or whoever made it used a similar name used before "Shin Takahashi-Meijin no Boukenjima" similar to the pc engine "Takahashi-Meijin no Shin Boukenjima" one again making it half impossible to find this version either lol.

Nokia version

Mystery 2010 re-release of Nokia version

I did find some interesting hudson nokia adventure island release roms and an adventure island forever game for nokia both in the style of WB1. But yeah.. no sign of the WB2 style super adventure island for nokia. :(
Post Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:46 am
Blake00 wrote
Oooooooohhhhh what is this new WB related game you mention?? Do please tell!!!

Opps that was a secret. When I wrote that I must have had too much ale... or mead... :-)

I've been working on a re-imagining of Monster Land for the last 18 months. I'm not sure what to say about it to be honest. I've noticed devs usually keep their lips sealed until they've made deals with publishers/etc, which is ultimately where I'd like to see my project end up. I've made quite some progress on it, but I'm not an artist or musician and soon that is going to be the barrier that slows down my development.

Though I'm submitting one of my tracks into the music comp this year, so that's something lol
Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:01 am
Blake00 wrote
Arrrgh.. I've tried a couple of times before but now I just REALLY tried for 2hrs to find a copy of the Nokia Super Adventure Island (WB2 remake).

I fired up an old PC that I had in storage and managed to find the game. It's the original Japanese version of Super Adventure Island for mobile. I was never able to find an English version although I know it exists.

There's an old video of it in action here:

I played and finished the game using MicroEmulator 2.0.4 here:
https://code.google.com/archive/p/microemu/downloads

and you will need Java installed:
https://www.java.com/en/

You can change the device to resizable and set the size to 240 x 320, and there is an option to scale the game 2x or more to suit your resolution.

If MicroEmulator doesn't work for you I have also tested the game successfully using FreeJ2ME:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/freej2me/

Note: I also tried the SjBoy emulator which did not support 240 x 320 resolution to run the game properly.

------------

You might wonder why you can't jump very far, that is because there are actually 3 jump buttons mapped to the 1, 2 and 3 number keys. You mainly want to use 3 which is jump to the right.

There are 3 difficulty settings indicated by how red the lettering is on the title screen. If you play around with the options you can find it, but it's tricky as all the text is in Japanese. In the default mode you can throw your axe like in the original Wonder Boy, but in hard mode you can only swing your axe like in the original Monster Land.

It's actually quite a good game and a rare find for Wonder Boy fans.

I've attached the jar file to the post, you'll need to unzip it.

Post Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:41 am
Immo wrote
I've been working on a re-imagining of Monster Land for the last 18 months... I've made quite some progress on it, but I'm not an artist or musician and soon that is going to be the barrier that slows down my development.

Ooooh. I hope you tease us with some images some time. I'm sure if you just used original Monster Land graphics permanently or as placeholders everyone would get a huge kick out of seeing your different take on it still. I'm such a huge WB2 monster land fan that I get excited over any game to do with it haha. Does your project have a title yet? Otherwise I guess I'll just stick "Immo's mystery WB game" in the list haha.

Logbomber wrote
I fired up an old PC that I had in storage and managed to find the game. It's the original Japanese version of Super Adventure Island for mobile. I was never able to find an English version although I know it exists... It's actually quite a good game and a rare find for Wonder Boy fans. I've attached the jar file to the post, you'll need to unzip it.

OMG!!!! Thank you so much for finding this Logbomber! I mean this thing is literally gone from existence and seemed lost forever. Now that you've attached it to a post here it's now preserved for everyone! Such a shame the English copy is still lost.. hopefully one day someone will give us a copy!

Yeah that's the video I've posted multiple comments on asking for a copy. They ignored me. :/ Every time I play it I start uncontrollably dancing to the techno music haha.

Thanks heaps for posting these tips too. I have an ancient unstable nokia java game emulator from 15yrs ago called 'game magic' that has evil spyware in its installer so I wasn't highly motivated to use it anymore so you've just given some great alternatives.

I've really gotta get off my ass and post my Alex Kidd fan games thread here too as there's so many gurus, modders & collectors here who can help!
Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:41 am
Blake00 wrote
Ooooh. I hope you tease us with some images some time. I'm sure if you just used original Monster Land graphics permanently or as placeholders everyone would get a huge kick out of seeing your different take on it still. I'm such a huge WB2 monster land fan that I get excited over any game to do with it haha. Does your project have a title yet? Otherwise I guess I'll just stick "Immo's mystery WB game" in the list haha.

I'm not ready to show anything or reveal the name just yet. Soon :-) But in the spirit of waiting, I am willing to show you my current loading screen:
Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:24 am
lol yup you do well as that goes right over my head and reveals nothing haha.

Well it looks like I'll need to add this project to the list! While I'm more interested in the monster world RPG platformers than the 'run & gun' original I'm trying to be complete with this list and this cool homebrew Amiga game is VERY clearly WB1 inspired!

http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/09/mikys-land-endless-amiga-run-and.html

Awesome music and gorgeous graphics too!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:49 am
Another one for the list.. Immos project revealed.

Immo wrote
It's definitely about being a fan for me, and if I can't get some kind of official approval then my project will never be released. I'd never sabotage the possibility of a legal release by trying to make money at any stage. I won't even try crowdfunding :)

As Ryuichi Nishizawa is planning his own official reboot then there's no point keeping my fan project under wraps any longer. Here are some screenshots from my re-imagining of Wonder Boy In Monster Land, a game I call "Monsterland Meka" monsterlandmeka.com

Oh and also an official remake on the way but what's been remade is unknown at this stage.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:05 am
Wowzer!! I've been living under a rock and never knew about Popful Mail.. this one is definitely going in the similar games to WB list!

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/popful-mail/

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:58 am
Last edited by Blake00 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Blake00 wrote
Oh and also an official remake on the way but what's been remade is unknown at this stage.

Remake turned out to be a remake of the Sega Genesis/MD Wonder Boy 6/Monster World 4!
https://www.smspower.org/forums/17637-NewMonsterWorldRemakeAnnounced#111910

Logbomber wrote
I fired up an old PC that I had in storage and managed to find the game. It's the original Japanese version of Super Adventure Island for mobile. I was never able to find an English version although I know it exists.

There's an old video of it in action here:

Just a quick update on this one LongBomber. Another fellow has posted a copy of the game in that youtube video's comments (you'll see a download question comment with 10+ replies). I tried it and sadly it appears to be the same Chinese copy you have. So that English copy is still missing!
About Super Adventure Island J2ME
Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:37 pm
I think,i can recreate English version by using chinese version of this game+it's not hard to edit some .class files ;)

Another Adventure Island Java Game??
Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12 am
Well,f*#k.It's just a Joe&Mac illegal port,but with Master Higgins sprites.[/img]

Is it possible to translate Chinese Super Adventure Island..?
Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:15 pm
Well, I tried and the result of my work is visible in the photo. There is an idea to shorten the text a little so that everything fits. Anyone willing to help me translate the text?
IMG_20201201_010950.jpg (4.99 MB)
alpha001
IMG_20201201_010950.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:55 am
WolfR@M wrote
Well,f*#k.It's just a Joe&Mac illegal port,but with Master Higgins sprites.[/img]

Cool graphics. What is the name of this illegal port?

WolfR@M wrote
Well, I tried and the result of my work is visible in the photo. There is an idea to shorten the text a little so that everything fits. Anyone willing to help me translate the text?

Oh wow! Well done mate! Now we just need someone who speaks Chinese lol!
Super Adventure Island (J2ME)
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:07 pm
Now, after a long break, I am ready to continue working on the translation of the game. Can anyone ask the people on the mobile gaming discord channel about the English version?
But...I found a person who translates well from Chinese, so there will be no sense in finding an English version of the game by this time.
ಠ_ಠ
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:53 pm
WolfR@M wrote
I found a person who translates well from Chinese, so there will be no sense in finding an English version of the game by this time.
ಠ_ಠ

The language in Super Adventure Island mobile is Japanese.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:23 pm
Logbomber wrote
WolfR@M wrote
I found a person who translates well from Chinese, so there will be no sense in finding an English version of the game by this time.
ಠ_ಠ

The language in Super Adventure Island mobile is Japanese.

U 're wrong. :P It's a Chinese.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:03 am
ooooh another very cool Monsterland remake project has been detected thanks XBuster on the Monster World Discord!

This looks super cool! You can switch between classic 2D grahics and his new 3D graphics. I love his attention to detail in the background stuff eg you see the previous or next area (ie a castle or town) in the background on the current level you're in!

And here's another old fan project I didn't know about once again thanks to XBuster over on the Monster world Discord.

Wonder Boy DC
https://www.classic-retro-games.com/games/platform/wonderboy-44

Monsterland Meka
Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:58 pm
An Alpha Demo version of Monsterland Meka, a fan remake of Wonder Boy in Monsterland, is now available for download:

https://monsterlandmeka.com/download
Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:21 am
New port on Atari ST:

.be
Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:10 am
Thanks for the tips guys, SMSDanan also just sent me another tip that reminded me I hadn't updated this thread ages! Over on the WB Discord there's been a number of cool WB like game and WB fan game finds that I need to add to the list here!

Tales of Monsterland - Game Boy
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/09/tales_of_monsterland_is_yet_another_ne...

Songs for a Hero - Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/389170/Songs_for_a_Hero__Definitive_Edition/

Miracle Boy in Dragon Land - Atari 520 ST
https://www.indieretronews.com/2022/11/miracle-boy-in-dragon-land-in.html

Goblin Sword - Switch
https://www.Ni****do.com/store/products/goblin-sword-switch/

WB in Monster Land SE - Amiga
https://www.indieretronews.com/2016/02/wonderboy-in-monster-land-se-alpha.html

WB Dragon’s Trap Lizard man mod for Celeste - Steam
https://gamebanana.com/mods/325814

Mega Twins / Chiki Chiki Boys - Sega Mega Drive
https://segaretro.org/Chiki_Chiki_Boys