8 18% 18%
9 31% 31%
10 (Excellent) 18% 18%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding competition 2020] Dead Gunner Demo by eruiz00
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:53 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
(*Scroll down in the thread for updates**)

https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/DeadGunner-SMS

A run&gun game inspired by the awesome work from surt.
This is time is a demo, although it works like a little game with ten scenes. I got the engine from silvervalley and galactic revenge, fixed some errors and rewrote some functions to make it better. Although the game seems a platformer, i want it to be a boss based game, with about ten-twenty bosses with little platforming scenes between each boss.

In the next months will be finished. I expect comments and even help if someone wants to collaborate.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:38 pm
Very nice game, I enjoyed it a great deal. I just barely finished the first level, though. I've got to try again later.

Nice visuals, as could be expected from Surt, even though it looks like not all used tilesets were made for the same game. The style, while pretty individually, is all over the place.

Very good music that fits the action.

Some remarks:

- Please consider dialing down the screen shaking effect. From Silver Valley, Galactic Revenge, and now this game, I get the impression that you like this effect a lot, but having the screen shake wildly whenever a bigger enemy dies gets annoying really fast. Maybe just use it when a boss goes down?

- I feel that the enemies all have a little too much health. At the very least, I would have the zako die when hit only once.

- Please put in some sort of flicker for the sprite handling. I die a lot in this game from invisible bullets that simply aren't drawn due to the sprite per line limit.

Otherwise, keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing this developed further.
Impressive
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:35 pm
Hi, I have just finished the demo in my MS2 and I have three things I want to tell you if you want to consider them:

Firstable the game is impressive and fun, I finished and I really enjoyed a lot. I love graphics and music, and our character moves slows as if he wears a heavy armour. I really love some very accurate jumps. And now, my three remarks:

1- Consider to allow diagonal shot, I always found myself trying to shoot diagonally.

2- Consider to allow shooting while we are on the ladder, in that moment we are slow and we can't shoot. Maybe it would be nice to allow that, I think it is very important because of that kind of flying machines and skulls.

3- Maybe It would be great to change the colour of our weapon when we get some upgrade, for instance green weapon with the laser. I don't know if this is possible.

Now in spanish, because it is my native languaje:

Hola eruiz00, disculpa mi inglés, te escribo en castellano porque no se si han quedado claras las tres cosas que te he dicho:

1- Permitir el disparo en diagonal mientras andamos.
2- Permitir el disparo mientras estamos en la escalera.
3- Cambiar el color del arma cuando conseguimos un tipo de disparo diferente, por ejemplo verde con el láser.

Me ha encantado tu trabajo como siempre, es fantástico. Menudo nivel. De verdad que a la gente que nos fascina la MS nos haces muy felices.

Gracias.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:02 pm
Thanks for the comment... let's see...

The game should be more like contra 3 snes version, with less platforming and more bosses.

Yes, the player should shoot on diagonal and on ladders, but I have to be sure about the number of sprites needed. I can have up to 256 sprites, and in the demo the player eats 60 sprites. When I'll have more game scenes and bosses i will know if i can implement those features.

Thanks!
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:48 pm
Did a simple SMS adaption of the forest tileset for Yuguzu's SMS Maker if you want to use them.
dedgunnr_sms.png (9.27 KB)
dedgunnr_sms.png

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:57 pm
That is great!!!

Seriously, i have to rework all the tilesets to include more colors according to the sms hardware, but will try to respect the awesome conception and effect behind the art.

Thanks for such inspiring work dude!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:40 am
Wonderful, As soon as I can, I try it😊
Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:33 am
You are a Master System game manufacturing plant! With an exceptional level of requirement! What else, congratulations!
Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:06 pm
Something shot me and i found this bug or invincibility

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:06 am
Very nice entry Eruiz !
Too hard for me ^^

Player seems a bit too slow (heavy ?) for me
Surt's tileset is for Nes originally ? (just a question, due to the lack of colors)

Like Aryana, a diagonal shot can be a very great improvement !

Maybe you can try to use a dynamic load of the player's sprites instead of static. It will eat some vblank time (and sprites must be uncompressed for a fast loading), but for sure you'll gain some place in vdp.

And like Kagesan, you really need to add a sprite flicker routine.
Or at least, bullets must be on the sprite's top list to never disappear.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:28 pm
Easy solution to enable sprite flicker:
Write the SAT reversed every other ISR.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:23 am
New version featuring:

Diagonal shoots. This make the game easier!
Gun now has the color of the weapon.
The engine is a bit faster, althoug i have to work on it, though.
Smaller screen shaking on collisions and killing of big enemies.
Using the new tilemap from Surt ;)
Sprite flicker algorithm, changing the order of the different elements drawing, although i have to think about it yet.

Now i have to work on more screens and the bosses.

Regards!
robokunv4.zip (56.3 KB)
Robokun v4

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:38 am
Sometimes, when you get any item, the sound is reverbering.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:42 pm
Umm... I am using a very old z88dk version. The same i used in silvervalley and galactic revenge. I remember these kind of troubles. It should be from around september 2017!

Maybe i should check newer z88dk versions, as it would contain fixes in psglib from my old version.

The reason i use z88dk is (at least two years ago) noticeably faster than sdcc and the integrated use of zx7, even with the source objects- allowing additional 2kb or 3kb for the game.
Maybe a bug
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:41 pm
Hi eruiz00 , I was playing with the new version of your game when a bug happened, or maybe is not a bug. When you reach the first stage with the skulls, if you turn back and try to go to the previous stage, you will appear in the next one, is like a shortcut.
1.jpg (213.22 KB)
Going to the previous stage
1.jpg
2.jpg (216.22 KB)
You appear here
2.jpg

Just a demo?
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:15 pm
Hi eruiz00 - so this is just a demo? Pretty awesome demo :) If you are looking to complete this as a full game then could I pls make the following suggestions:
1. After hitting the jump button you can move either left or right in the air - I keep forgetting to move then jump
2. Could we have the option to skip the intro text by pressing fire... first time is fine but maybe not every time
3. Actually could there be checkpoints or better yet [infinite] continues so can keep playing thru and not have to start from the start each time.
4 Nice to have - some kind of invincibility cheat to guarantee finishing the game - similar to Astro Force but maybe hidden within the game
These are just suggestions though otherwise awesome job!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:18 am
great work so far - as like all of your games, I totally suck at playing it

keep up the nice work! :)
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:06 pm
Jajaja gracias sverx! I hope you'll be well. The game is one more in the search of a coherent way and engine to make 8 bits games using ansi c and (in the sms case) using your fab libraries and other tools. In the fact the same engine (except for the scroll) is being used in a game for msx under sdcc (i translated the zx7 part and did msx related functions for spriting and tiles... You know, in msx things are different mainly with the color). And for dead gunner the game is more advanced than the demos. I am copying and rethinking some topics of the classics like the waterfall stage in contra or some bosses from contra 3 for the game. Lets see...

Take care friend!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:22 pm
That's a very impressive entry, congrats! It feels like a commercial game, and even for a "demo" it has a lot of content (and challenge!) already :). Congrats,

I really love the art style, it feels like we are playing in the future from "Terminator"!

Regarding improvements, I don't have anything to add to the previous comments (and most issues were adressed in V2), so I'm simply looking forward the full version!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:18 pm
Converted all tiles to SMS palette if you want to use them.
dead_gunner_sms.png (50.98 KB)
dead_gunner_sms.png

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:40 am
It looks awesome Surt!

eruiz00, Did you check my last message? I don't know if it is a bug.

Thank you.
Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:20 am
Hola @eruiz00 Do you have any news about your game?

Thank you!.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:02 pm
Looks amazingly colorful. Are there any news about progress, maybe?
Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:58 am
I'm so looking forward to this. I'm sure it must be a ton of work, but if you have any updates I would love to hear them and I'll bet others would too.
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:03 pm
eruiz00 wrote
New version featuring:

Diagonal shoots. This make the game easier!
Gun now has the color of the weapon.
The engine is a bit faster, althoug i have to work on it, though.
Smaller screen shaking on collisions and killing of big enemies.
Using the new tilemap from Surt ;)
Sprite flicker algorithm, changing the order of the different elements drawing, although i have to think about it yet.

Now i have to work on more screens and the bosses.

Regards!

Finally added to https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/DeadGunner-SMS

Are you still working on this?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:27 pm
Ummm... not really. I made two more stages (a jungle waterfall stage like gryzor's second stage, i remember) and some refinements (the last boss is much better!)., but it is not finished , maybe some day!

Now I am working on other big big game, much much bigger than everything i have made before. I am working on it four hours / day and i dont see the end... maybe for next christmas (lol)... The new banked code feature unlocked my coding addiction again! Seriously, i am getting fun with this new project! Let's see...
Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 pm
eruiz00 wrote
Ummm... not really. I made two more stages (a jungle waterfall stage like gryzor's second stage, i remember) and some refinements (the last boss is much better!)., but it is not finished , maybe some day!

Now I am working on other big big game, much much bigger than everything i have made before. I am working on it four hours / day and i dont see the end... maybe for next christmas (lol)... The new banked code feature unlocked my coding addiction again! Seriously, i am getting fun with this new project! Let's see...

Improving 2021 WWWOOOOW!!! can't wait to see it.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:11 pm
eruiz00 wrote

Did you already try the possibility of C source-level debugging in VS Code with Emulicious? It should provide an even smoother experience. :)
Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:47 am
No, i haven't. But i have to test it. I have the common dev patterns so tested that i dont need to debug usually, but it is (very) interesting after all.

... One thing i dislike from emulicious (i know i could check if the sms file exists before running the emulator) is that, if you run emulicious from commandline with a sms cartridge as argument, and the sms file does not exists, the next time i run emulicious with the sms file it will reset the view scaling option, back to 1x.

The rest (almost everything!!!) is perfect. Have to try vscode :)
Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:28 pm
eruiz00 wrote

... One thing i dislike from emulicious (i know i could check if the sms file exists before running the emulator) is that, if you run emulicious from commandline with a sms cartridge as argument, and the sms file does not exists, the next time i run emulicious with the sms file it will reset the view scaling option, back to 1x.

Not sure if you saw it in the release notes, but that should be fixed now. Could you please verify if it works properly now? :)
Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:28 pm
hello, congratulations absolutely very nice! it would be nice if you could also shoot while on the ladder and if it were also possible to shoot diagonally downwards.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!