Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Complete plastic injection replica catridges

Reply to topic
Complete plastic injection replica catridges
Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:49 pm
Just recently I will be working with a small plastic injection company for some work-related business and I asked them if they would be willing to make small batches (around 500 units) of replica master system cartridge shells and they have initially agreed provided I do some of the tooling (injection mold essentially) which I can and plan on doing during early next year with help from a few machining friends.

This combined with the SEGA mapper replacement I developed years earlier would allow me to make new Master System cartridges without any donor cartridge or circuitry, for example for physical releases of homebrew/new releases, a pretty nice novelty item.

I would be interested to know if someone else would be interested in releasing their software on a physical format if I eventually decide making a batch of these.

(Unsure if this should go to trade? Is still a WIP)
Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:26 am
It'll be nice to have this shells! We're currently on not the same bad situation as some years ago, as now we have shells on Krizz store and also on Aliexpress, but they've the sd card hole in it.

About the boards, apart from IchigoBankai, I know that some guys are selling boards, M.Osorio has the contact with the detais.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:19 pm
proper shells (no holes) would be nice!
Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:45 pm
The idea is making them as close to the original as possible, no holes or anything, and the replica board reasonably cheap. As things progress I'll keep the post updated, but don't expect anything major until next year, because of the current state of the world.

The SEGA/Made in japan markings will be replaced with something else, I don't want to find counterfeit cartridges using my board/shell in the future. :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:33 pm
Things that might be interesting:

1. Easily removed thin parts where the SD cards fit in Everdrives so people can use them for that with a little gentle surgery
2. Different colours, maybe including transparent - although I can see it could also make it harder to get the stock right.
Post Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:41 pm
Agreed, this sounds awesome and having a "cutout" for Everdrives is great too: Maybe something not visible on the outside, but a "guide" on the inside where the plastic is thicker and someone can just use a razor blade to cut out the SD slot if needed.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!