Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Tecnical question - No Glitches, More resolution , and more?

Reply to topic
Tecnical question - No Glitches, More resolution , and more?
Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:51 pm
Playing many games this sumer like Bubble Bobble, Double Dragon or Jang Pung 3 with lot of items on the screen appears a lot of glitches.
Also I have a reescaler interface to play master system conected by HDMI and 720p with an aditional power supply.
There are many mods to upgrade the master system, fm sound PCB, RGB PCB, and appears in my head an idea that I don´t know if tecnically is possible a add on, like the graphic card in a computer, a new PCB inside the console that gives more resolution reescaling to 720 or 1080, kill the glitches in short upgrading to top the video signal.
And a collateral question, if this "Graphic Card" could be installed the power supply could be enough or must be changed for megadrive one for example.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:06 am
Last edited by Maxim on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
There are two main approaches, only one of which actually exists.

The first is to do all the steps to maximise the video quality - RGB bypass and clock signal hacks - and then pass that low resolution, best quality analogue signal into a good quality upscaler like the OSSC which converts it to HDMI at the best quality with all sorts of settings to get that quality.

The second theoretical option would be to replace the VDP chip with an FPGA emulation that internally renders to a framebuffer and digitally scales it to HD. This emulation could then remove certain limitations like the sprite limit and CRAM dots. This would be a big project and certainly doesn’t exist yet for any system that I know of, let alone a relatively unpopular one like the Master System.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:42 pm
Maxim wrote
to replace the VDP chip with an FPGA emulation that internally renders to a framebuffer and digitally scales it to HD. This emulation could then remove certain limitations like the sprite limit and CRAM dots.

A pin-compatible drop-in replacement would be great.

Any takers? ;)
Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:48 pm
Maxim wrote
This would be a big project and certainly doesn’t exist yet for any system that I know of, let alone a relatively unpopular one like the Master System.

One has been done for the NES.

Google "Kevtris nes hdmi" and youll find it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:58 am
Ah well, Kevtris has been doing crazy hard stuff for decades :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!