Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Alex Kidd in miracle world warp glitch?

Reply to topic
Alex Kidd in miracle world warp glitch?
Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:03 am
I know about the secret area in Alex Kidd when you defeat the octopus you can hold down to go into the pot - I am not talking about that.

When I was a kid I once killed one of the 2 octopus (I cant remember if it was the first or second) using powder, with the powder I didn't need to destroy the tentacles, as it died I was holding down on the D-pad and somehow I got teleported down to another level. I dont remember exactly what it looked like but I believe it was different than the secret level you normally go to by travelling down the pot.

To this day I have not been able to recreate that or find anyone else who has described something similar online. 28 years later it still bothers me sometimes and I dont know if it was a glitch or if I imagined the whole thing. Has anyone heard anything like this. I was playing on an original sega master system not an emulator or mark III etc.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:36 am
As Calindro has dissassembled the game to create KidEdd, He can point if some secret level data is present (Spoiler, I don’t think so )
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:24 pm
ironbanana wrote
I know about the secret area in Alex Kidd when you defeat the octopus you can hold down to go into the pot - I am not talking about that.

Yes, that's in level 3, the only level with octopuses.

ironbanana wrote
When I was a kid I once killed one of the 2 octopus (I cant remember if it was the first or second) using powder, with the powder I didn't need to destroy the tentacles

Yes, destroying the tentacle that is closest to the octopus destroys the remaining tentacles and removes the octopus. A skilled player can even destroy that tentacle without using the powder.
After the octopus has been removed you can touch its pot and press DOWN on your D-Pad. It doesn't matter on which of the two pots you press DOWN, they both lead to the same screen below. The two screens down there aren't a different level, they are just screens of the level that aren't directly connected to the others.
Down there, there is a special entity that when touched leads Alex to the bonus level.

I don't know and don't see any way to reach anything else, sorry.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:25 pm
I think I know what glitch are you talking about. Here is how to reproduce it:

-Defeat the octopus, go down, and die intentionally (it doesn't matter if you die while you are in the water or over the solid ground that comes later). Then, use the Continue cheat on the Game Over screen. Once you are again at the beginning of the level, press Pause. The music will change. Press Pause again, and the terrain will look awkward!
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:45 pm
Ron_Stard wrote
I think I know what glitch are you talking about. Here is how to reproduce it:

-Defeat the octopus, go down, and die intentionally (it doesn't matter if you die while you are in the water or over the solid ground that comes later). Then, use the Continue cheat on the Game Over screen. Once you are again at the beginning of the level, press Pause. The music will change. Press Pause again, and the terrain will look awkward!

Dying down there does not cause the glitch. It causes another issue: All entities are shifted horizontally after continue mode.
The glitch you describe is only caused after entering the bonus level. When the bonus level is entered, a flag is set to indicate that you are in the bonus level. The bonus level uses the tiles and music of the following level (level 4) so when the pause screen is closed and the bonus level flag is set, the game loads the tiles and music of level 4 instead of level 3 (it also shows the cursor on the pause screen on level 4 instead).
The bonus level flag is only cleared when a level is finished, not when a level is started.
The continue mode just restarts the level so it does not clear the bonus level flag which means it remains set.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:34 am
hmm when I was younger I didn't know about the continue glitch, so I dont think it had anything to do with that.

Calindro, is it possible theres a timing glitch to get to that lower level without sitting right above the pot. Again being about 10 at the time my memory is fuzzy on how exactly it happened, but I remember my character travelling down the screen at a fast rate to the below level while not being directly on top of the pot like I see on every youtube video of someone getting to the secret level. Maybe something with the pots hitboxes if you hold down at just the exact moment when the octopus dies even if you arent directly touching the pot.

Does that make sense?
Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:38 am
ironbanana wrote
Calindro, is it possible theres a timing glitch to get to that lower level without sitting right above the pot. Again being about 10 at the time my memory is fuzzy on how exactly it happened, but I remember my character travelling down the screen at a fast rate to the below level while not being directly on top of the pot like I see on every youtube video of someone getting to the secret level.

I just did some tests and couldn't get anything like that to happen.
There is a bug (in castle layouts) that when you transition from one screen to another and keep switching between pause screen and gameplay. With this bug the game scrolls multiple screens instead of one.
So I tried the same while swimming down through the pot but it doesn't happen there. I guess it doesn't happen here because there is only 1 screen to go down as opposed to multiple screens in castle layout.
There also is a bug related to the pot. When you swim to the right until only half of the pot is visible on screen, you can still swim through it but now Alex cannot swim until he centers on top of the pot so instead he swims (invincibly) to the next screen until he's centered above the same position where the pot is in the previous screen.

ironbanana wrote
Maybe something with the pots hitboxes if you hold down at just the exact moment when the octopus dies even if you arent directly touching the pot.

Does that make sense?

I don't see any way how that could cause issues. When Alex is above a trigger tile that is not a ladder, he enters the state "swim to pot". In that state Alex determines where the pot is and swims to the determined position then enters the state "swim through pot" where he just swims down to the screens below.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:17 am
Calindro wrote
When you swim to the right until only half of the pot is visible on screen, you can still swim through it but now Alex cannot swim until he centers on top of the pot so instead he swims (invincibly) to the next screen until he's centered above the same position where the pot is in the previous screen.

This sounds like the closest thing to what I was talking about and may be it, how easily reproducible is it if you are intentionally trying and is it even possible that someone (10 year old me) to do by accident ? You wouldn't happen to have video or know where I can find one would you?
Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:12 am
Calindro wrote

There is a bug (in castle layouts) that when you transition from one screen to another and keep switching between pause screen and gameplay. With this bug the game scrolls multiple screens instead of one.

Sorry if I'm hijacking, but can you please expand on this? I believe I encountered it several times when I was younger and looking for secrets. I thought I'd found secret rooms or something, especially in the red castle.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:57 am
ironbanana wrote
Calindro wrote
When you swim to the right until only half of the pot is visible on screen, you can still swim through it but now Alex cannot swim until he centers on top of the pot so instead he swims (invincibly) to the next screen until he's centered above the same position where the pot is in the previous screen.

This sounds like the closest thing to what I was talking about and may be it, how easily reproducible is it if you are intentionally trying and is it even possible that someone (10 year old me) to do by accident ? You wouldn't happen to have video or know where I can find one would you?

I couldn't find a video of it but I've attached a patch that lets you start in the level and I've removed the octopus from there. So all you need to do is apply the patch to a [v1] (aka (V1.1)) version of Alex Kidd in Miracle World and swim to the right until only the left part of the pot is visible. Then swim back to the pot and press DOWN on the dpad.

unfnknblvbl wrote
Calindro wrote

Sorry if I'm hijacking, but can you please expand on this? I believe I encountered it several times when I was younger and looking for secrets. I thought I'd found secret rooms or something, especially in the red castle.

It's described here: https://www.smspower.org/forums/9427-AlexKiddInMiracleWorldCastleGlitch

And it's used here:
In this video it's done horizontally but it also works vertically.
scrollGlitch.ips (75.34 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:21 pm
I remember discovering this glitchby accident when I was a kid and since I didn't see it referenced anywhere, I've recorded a video of it.

Not sure if it happens anywhere else in the game or in any other versions other than the Bios one, as I haven't tried them.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!