Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - I love this website! Please don't change it ever.

Reply to topic
I love this website! Please don't change it ever.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:17 pm
In the age of shiny new upgrade-the-UI-each-week I love having an awesome Sega database full of 8-bit classic love that hasnt changed. It feels like home and it's great - just sayin :)
Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:54 pm
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this :)
Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:21 pm
<3
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:23 pm
Unfortunately all things must change eventually. In our case, there is a need to keep up to date with PHP security fixes and that means moving to a newer version of PHP, which may also mean updating the forum software. I’m currently evaluating some options to ensure we can retain all data and also avoid adding modern horrors like JavaScript front ends...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:34 pm
Thank you. <3
I agree with this sentiment and want to keep smspower as close to how "bloat-free, little-noise" it is.

(Fun-fact: I don't have scientific data point but outside of newsgroups I feel we're probably among the few exceptionally old, history fully available and still active forum on the surface of the internet.... our oldest messages are 20 years old).

On the front of updating PHP: we looked at phpbb3 which required stripping lots of stuff away, disabling many stupid features. I thought it was going to be ok but Maxim feels like it is too difficult to customize the theme with how it is setup. I think we did 50% of the work toward getting an acceptable phpbb3 setup.

Perhaps porting phpbb2 to newer php/sql functions would be more tractable?

We are always in need of web developers to help maintain our forums/wiki stuff - however stagnant things like there's always something to do. Most of that work has been handled by Maxim with a little bit of my help. If you think you can help and you are meticulous/serious we could do with the help too :)
Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:17 am
Maxim wrote
there is a need to keep up to date with PHP security fixes and that means moving to a newer version of PHP, which may also mean updating the forum software.

you mean phpBB2 won't work with an updated PHP? I'm very curious about that. Also, phpBB2 code is pretty simple (I've modded it many times in the past) so we might just fix that where PHP update might broke it.
My 2 cents
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:41 pm
PHPBB2 is reported not to work with PHP 7, although I haven’t tested it myself. Newer PHP versions deprecate some older functionality which was often necessary in the “old days” of “fractal of bad design” PHP but somewhat mitigated in modern PHP. There’s also the likelihood of vulnerabilities in PHPBB2, as it’s unmaintained.

Our hosting will eventually remove support for unsupported old versions of PHP. We need to be somewhat ready for that.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:18 pm
Getting a VPS with legacy php is very accessible these days. I've never been into AWS but Digital Ocean never turned me down even though I have a single point of failure.

(The vgm player runs on their cloud).
Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:54 am
Fun-fact: I don't have scientific data point but outside of newsgroups I feel we're probably among the few exceptionally old, history fully available and still active forum on the surface of the internet.... our oldest messages are 20 years old.

That is really cool! Hats off to you guys for keeping it going! The age of this place means people here are generally older / more mature too (at least I've noticed). And the old skool look also attracts a different audience...

In the age of reddit-meme-bombing-ego-irony culture, this place is always a breath of fresh air. A real Sega home with real programming and hardware love. The best forum on the internet, or at least neck and neck with GameSX.com forums, imho :)
Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:49 pm
sverx wrote
<3
agrred
Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:01 pm
I just wanted to chime in with general agreement on how good the site is, and mention that the pixel art and random screenshot are such cool features. I've discovered a lot of games through them, ones that I hadn't really looked closely at before.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 am
I'll throw my hand into the ring if you need help with any PHP integration. patching or maintenance stuff. I've had to do that with a few sites over the years.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:32 am
That reminds me, I need to finish off my PHP7 adaptation of the site code. I’ve done the PHPBB side, PmWiki is all good but there’s a bunch of custom recipes that need some testing.
Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:43 pm
Having had to upgrade a lot of php code myslef from v5+ to v7+ I really do sympathise with you. It was really long winded in places just adding loads of single quotes in POST statements etc
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!