Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Download statistics

Reply to topic
Download statistics
Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:37 am
Is there any way to find out how often a specific file in the homebrew section has been downloaded?

I'd like to know how popular each of my games has become over time, but I can only estimate their popularity by how many people are making YT videos of them.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:15 pm
No, we don’t track that. They’re just direct downloads.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:29 am
It probably wouldn't be too hard to make a little php wrapper that logs each file download then re-directs the browser to the file.
OTOH, if the httpd logs have been saved, one can do
grep -c "my_sms_game.zip" servers_httpd_logfile.log
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:20 pm
We have http logs so technically as host admins we could grep them, but as a policy we removed all visible counters from e.g. this forum software we're using, to avoid falling into the short sightedness of metrics driven economy. I've always make the assumption that our community is small and I personally would rather not see the numbers.

Kagesan as a courtesy we can try doing some grepping for you in recent logs if you want, but be mindful that numbers _might_ be skewed by robots crawling the web (I only say might because I have no idea how much that would skew it). We don't directly track anything connected to site logins e.g. user XXX downloaded homebrew XXX.

I can definitively think of reasons of why some numbers might be useful e.g. you are trying to evaluate the possibility of physical runs perhaps? tho I sense even for that the metrics may be hard to convert from one unit to another.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:13 pm
Actually, I was just being curious. I don't really need those numbers for anything.

If you happened to have those numbers lying around anyway, it would have been interesting to see them to compare the games and get an impression of the general size of the audience, but if you have to go through any kind of hassle to extract them in the first place, please don't. It's really not important.

Thanks for the offer, though. I appreciate it.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!