SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - McWill Game Gear mod garbled graphics

Reply to topic
McWill Game Gear mod garbled graphics
Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:19 pm
Hello,

I've just completed my first McWill mod and I've got a problem that seems like maybe I've got a data line to the lcd wrong.

I'm working on a single ASIC (837-9024). I re-capped all 3 boards and verified everything worked properly before beginning the mod. After removing all of the unnecessary components as outlined in the version 2.2 directions I verified my VCC is properly regulated (I've got 4.9V at the McWill board).

I've quadruple checked that all of my connections are correct as per the instructions but when I try a game I get garbled/blocky graphics. I even tried installing a different McWill lcd but get the same result.

It looks like a problem with the screen data but I'm at a loss. Can anyone give me any pointers as to what I could have done wrong?

EDIT: I've just completed the mod on another Game Gear and this one is working perfectly. I haven't wired up the necessary circuits for VGA output yet so I'm wondering if that has something to do with my problem on the first unit. I'll look into that tomorrow night.
20200618_194655.jpg (4.78 MB)
garbled/block graphics
20200618_194655.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:52 am
You might have luck by contacting Marco at order-lynx-lcd@online.de, that's McWill. This assumes you purchased the kit through one of the official distributors of course.

Also this and https://www.smspower.org/forums/18006-InstalledMcWillLcdAndScreenDistortedWhenPo... make me wonder whether there is a Game Gear hardware variation we lack documentation for, perhaps a different ribbon cable conductor assignment/different LCD?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!