Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Alex Kidd 2 hacks selling on eBay

Reply to topic
Alex Kidd 2 hacks selling on eBay
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:18 am
[Admin: split from http://www.smspower.org/forums/16493-AlexKidd2CurseInMiracleWorld and not even about that particular hack]

someone from spain is selling this cart for a fortune

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alex-Kidd-In-miracle-world-2-Sega-MASTER-SYSTEM-/32239...

plus the coverart isnt that great the one Yeti Bomar is way better.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:58 am
Yes , horrible cover for a game but I think that is different game than Curse in Miracle World.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:20 am
I think it's the hack that was submitted to the SMS Power! hack competition in 2016 (this one)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:40 pm
seems to be related / come from here... :
http://www.smspower.org/forums/16401-GiveThanksAndShowWhatIMake
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:10 pm
sverx wrote
I think it's the hack that was submitted to the SMS Power! hack competition in 2016 (this one)

yep thats the one and someone seems to be trying to earn a lot of cash off that hack. Dunno if the dev of this game is aware of this.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:14 pm
Last edited by Filipe Santos on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ichigobankai wrote

yep you're right . seems to be that same exact one with the same cover and all.
70 odd pounds is a massive ripoff imo. Wonder if the developer knows about this because i find this outrageous considering this person didn't even make the game. And ebay says he has already sold 2. No way i would've paid that price.
Not even new cartridges would go for that price and there are many on ebay trying to cash in big time specially with the 'extremely rare' games. Funny is how most of them always put 'rare' in their items.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:17 pm
law81 wrote
Yes , horrible cover for a game but I think that is different game than Curse in Miracle World.

yea maybe it is , sorry if im confused because both say Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:32 pm
Filipe Santos wrote
ichigobankai wrote

70 odd pounds is a massive ripoff imo. Wonder if the developer knows about this because i find this outrageous considering this person didn't even make the game. And ebay says he has already sold 2. No way i would've paid that price.
Not even new cartridges would go for that price and there are many on ebay trying to cash in big time specially with the 'extremely rare' games. Funny is how most of them always put 'rare' in their items.

Sold 2???

Look at this, sold 10:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Alex-Kidd-In-miracle-world-2-Sega-MASTER-SYSTEM-/222332331689?hash=item33c40a26a9:g:L9IAAOSwImRYii9e

For that price the seller should donate a beer to the developer...
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:37 pm
law81 wrote
Filipe Santos wrote
ichigobankai wrote

Sold 2???

Look at this, sold 10:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Alex-Kidd-In-miracle-world-2-Sega-MASTER-SYSTEM-/222332331689?hash=item33c40a26a9:g:L9IAAOSwImRYii9e

For that price the seller should donate a beer to the developer...

ah ah!
so he sold more?
I checked your link so apparently he has two listings and one you've posted is ebay spain.
Jesus what a ripoff. It's completely not fair considering he didn't even make the game. And i'm sure getting the parts , printing and everything didn't even cost half of what he's asking. What a ripoff seriously. The dev should see this , it's really not fair. 65 euros for a game... pfff... he can dream off , least from me. Think the community should be aware of this , really sorry for the dev considering he's not getting anything off this...
I would also like to add this sort of thing doesn't encourage devs to bring new games unless devs should take care of everything and release it themselves , in that case they have my full support but this is totally taking advantage of people that spent time programming etc , making the game and selling it for a load of cash where the dev won't see anything.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:51 pm
( I hate those bottom leech resellers who can't even do a good job when they are ripping off other people. I also feel the need to play devil's advocate and remind you that this work is based on Sega's work in the first place. Whenever you create something good you'll get ripped off somehow. It is an unfortunate chain of events that repeats itself all the time and across industries, the best we can do is educate buyers to avoid buying poor quality products made under unfair condition, and avoid buying products that do not benefit their active creators. )

That hack you guys made looks really wonderful. Thank you so much for making it.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:00 pm
Bock wrote
( I hate those bottom leech resellers who can't even do a good job when they are ripping off other people. I also feel the need to play devil's advocate and remind you that this work is based on Sega's work in the first place. Whenever you create something good you'll get ripped off somehow. It is an unfortunate chain of events that repeats itself all the time and across industries, the best we can do is educate buyers to avoid buying poor quality products made under unfair condition, and avoid buying products that do not benefit their active creators. )

That hack you guys made looks really wonderful. Thank you so much for making it.

Hi Bock.
Sega's work ? Haha! Exactly! And that's another one on top of that!
It would have been completely different if the 're-seller' would've asked the dev permission to do it at least. But as you mentioned on top of that we have to consider this is a hack from a game originally produced by Sega... i won't be putting my hands on this for sure.
I'll be more than happy to support original new games (no hacks) published by the developers themselves.
Apart from all this there are boxed games from game gear / master system ports which i would be happy to get and the price is somehow fair (although no manuals but sure) but not from ebay tho... ebay is full of leeches.
I think is necessary my point of view
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 pm
First of all I´m the person behind this work. No hide, I´m here and you can read my messages and see me in you tube, theres the link above in most important event of videogames in Spain showing to the people that the Sega Master System is not death.
The first thing I want to said is that I tried to contact the developers, with private messages or publics messages, nobody answer me nothing, you can see my messages with no replies of course 0 private messages.
I´m an entusiast of this system, last year was the 30th anniversary of Alex Kidd and this is the reason I decide to create a phisical edition of a Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2, pads custom with a alex kidd stick, figures of alex kidd similar size to amiibo, a big clock with alex kidd design and more things. Please see the video, i´m not in a corner, i´m in the middle opening my new tectoy consoles where people can play for free, lots of master systems games at 5 euro.
Sorry but I´m doing this and I´m not becoming rich. Alex Kidd figures I only sold 2 of 30 handmade figures more than 900 euros lost for example, the cart with the 3 fantasy zone games people don´t buy it. Of Course with other games I covered the costs but thats all.
If I don´t earn money why I do that, I´m going to try to explain. People continue playing this games, people now play and know this page and others of entusiasts of master system; people give me thanks for the new games and continuosly asking me where I can buy this new games from developers, where I can buy Ichigobankai incredible work, Ian´s incredible work, if there is no posibility to buy curse in miracle world you will do a phisical edition for us, there is only one answer i have no idea; sorry for the damage I could do but I will kept the light on for this system.
Now I am working in a new idea about Master System and this will be publicated as soon as posible in this webpage because my intention is keep this system alive, i saw similar ideas but not mine, I have a lot of Ideas but i´m not sure if they can be done. And please, please do better games than me, cheaper than me and continue keeping this flame alive.
Sorry again for trying to give spanish entusiasts your incredible work, and feel free to contact me. I will continue learning programming, and trying to do new things for this system. Thanks for reading my point of view
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:42 pm
M.Osorio wrote
First of all I´m the person behind this work. No hide, I´m here and you can read my messages and see me in you tube, theres the link above in most important event of videogames in Spain showing to the people that the Sega Master System is not death.
The first thing I want to said is that I tried to contact the developers, with private messages or publics messages, nobody answer me nothing, you can see my messages with no replies of course 0 private messages.
I´m an entusiast of this system, last year was the 30th anniversary of Alex Kidd and this is the reason I decide to create a phisical edition of a Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2, pads custom with a alex kidd stick, figures of alex kidd similar size to amiibo, a big clock with alex kidd design and more things. Please see the video, i´m not in a corner, i´m in the middle opening my new tectoy consoles where people can play for free, lots of master systems games at 5 euro.
Sorry but I´m doing this and I´m not becoming rich. Alex Kidd figures I only sold 2 of 30 handmade figures more than 900 euros lost for example, the cart with the 3 fantasy zone games people don´t buy it. Of Course with other games I covered the costs but thats all.
If I don´t earn money why I do that, I´m going to try to explain. People continue playing this games, people now play and know this page and others of entusiasts of master system; people give me thanks for the new games and continuosly asking me where I can buy this new games from developers, where I can buy Ichigobankai incredible work, Ian´s incredible work, if there is no posibility to buy curse in miracle world you will do a phisical edition for us, there is only one answer i have no idea; sorry for the damage I could do but I will kept the light on for this system.
Now I am working in a new idea about Master System and this will be publicated as soon as posible in this webpage because my intention is keep this system alive, i saw similar ideas but not mine, I have a lot of Ideas but i´m not sure if they can be done. And please, please do better games than me, cheaper than me and continue keeping this flame alive.
Sorry again for trying to give spanish entusiasts your incredible work, and feel free to contact me. I will continue learning programming, and trying to do new things for this system. Thanks for reading my point of view

Hi Osorio. Look i'm not saying that i don't appreciate what you and i'm sure most part of us around here share the same ideas that you do. To keep Master System alive and it is alive , it's the only system i play nowadays. It's good you are trying to get this system out there and showing it to new people and etc.
The only downside is that the price you are selling your games.
You said it yourself , why is Fantasy Zone trilogy not selling?
I'm going to be honest and no way i would buy your Alex Kidd hack by 70 pounds (since i live in the UK) . Most people are milking out master system games big time and by this i mean that everybody is trying to sell games for big money. There are extremely rare games and i know which ones are , sure people can sell those for a lot of money it's not for me to judge but i sure not going to buy them.
Now as for Alex Kidd selling for 65 euros thats a lot of money. Most games average price go around 30-40 , brand new and official ones.
As for the rest it's your business , it's not my problem , i'm not here to discuss prices anyways but for a fact is that this alex kidd is a hack , not endorsed by sega and it's also weird that the dev never replied to your emails.
I promise this message is short
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:18 pm
A few apretiations:

I sold only this games in events. Never in Ebay.
My nick in ebay is m.osorio, always my name and surname as in this webpage.
The price I sold this games is 35 Euros, complete with manual, that´s my price with more than 2 hours of time per game.
I´m the person behind this games, the answer is yes.
I´m the person who sold it in ebay, the answer is no.
Tectoy will do new releases for Genesis games, I hope they do it for Master System too, and I hope people in this webpage do phisical editions of their creations, their recopilatory carts, the pcb with 1mb mapper, ...
And hope early my items too
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:31 pm
M.Osorio wrote
A few apretiations:

I sold only this games in events. Never in Ebay.
My nick in ebay is m.osorio, always my name and surname as in this webpage.
The price I sold this games is 35 Euros, complete with manual, that´s my price with more than 2 hours of time per game.
I´m the person behind this games, the answer is yes.
I´m the person who sold it in ebay, the answer is no.
Tectoy will do new releases for Genesis games, I hope they do it for Master System too, and I hope people in this webpage do phisical editions of their creations, their recopilatory carts, the pcb with 1mb mapper, ...
And hope early my items too

Ok so how do you explain this seller from ebay? barcelonaretroclass?

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Alex-Kidd-In-miracle-world-2-Sega-MASTER-SYSTEM-/22233233...

If it's not you then someone else is trying to make major profit with your work.
About tec toy i dont like them. All because of how they release their stuff. Like toys for kids. Their covers are horrific. Imo Master System is a proper console not a toy just for kids as their name sound , tec toy yuck.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:39 pm
M.Osorio wrote

On one side, if the creator of that version ignores you, he probably doesn´t want to see it in physical format and I guarantee you he doesn´t want to see it on EvilBay. All the other things you´ve mentioned have nothing to do with it.

On the other side, everybody can use KiddEd and every Alex Kidd game that was made/will be made with it is practically owned by Sega, not by the people who made their own game with that editior.

Nobody has any rights to sell those KiddEd games on EvilBay (and it sucks that SMS game carts will be killed for this), and I can´t believe that there are idiots out there who are buying these. You can easily fake the number of sold copies with multple accounts, so don´t give too much about the number of sold copies ;)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:47 pm
It's a shame to derail this thread and detract from Yeti's excellent game. Mods - perhaps you can move the relevant posts to the thread for my AK2 game.

First off, I just wanted to note that I'm not the only developer of the game. A lot of people have really helped out and it has very much been a joint effort.

So yes, I am disappointed that someone is profiting from our work but to be honest, I was fully expecting it as soon as I released the competiton ROM. It's especially disappointing when they haven't even done a good job of it (as Bock said) and have used a WIP version. I definitely have not received any contact from anyone in regards to giving permission to release physical copies and I'm pretty sure I'm not hard to track down.

My intention was always to create physical copies when the game was fully complete (which will be any day now). They were never going to be for sale though and I was never going to make profit - obviously due to legal reasons with it being Sega's work but mostly because it's been made out of love for Alex Kidd and the Sega Master System.

I'm not sure there's much anyone can do about rip-off repro merchants. I would just advise to not waste your money!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:05 am
ian wrote
I definitely have not received any contact from anyone

Exactly what I thought.
Thanks for being here and clear this situation out.
I apologise that I brought this up in the wrong thread since both games have the title Alex Kidd 2.
I agree with what you've said and in no way I would be buying stuff like that and even worse for the price they are asking.
About you guys making physical copies and selling it that's up to you guys and Sega. I only brought it up because I don't think it's fair you guys developed this mod and someone's trying to cash in the big bucks with it and we all know now that no one asked you anything. Cheers.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:22 am
Gordman wrote

(and it sucks that SMS game carts will be killed for this), and I can´t believe that there are idiots out there who are buying these. You can easily fake the number of sold copies with multple accounts, so don´t give too much about the number of sold copies ;)

Hmm don't think it'll kill sms carts , I'm looking forward to the Narc game being developed and if released in cart with manual and all I'll gladly buy it from the devs. It's an original game and those are more than welcome and certainly makes me happy to see projects like those being made .

As for the rest you're right, the sales could be faked or there's actual people buying it for that price but its ridiculous.
Finally , yes that came into my mind aswel , if the dev didn't answer doesn't mean you automatically have permission to go and sell it.
It's all pretty sad really so if any of you see those carts around , you all know what to do.
Avoid them.
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:34 am
19 posts off-topic, thank you guys. Please stop now.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:27 pm
Many thanks to the admins for having the topic moved onto a new thread and for keeping this up for the community's awareness.
Many thanks and all the best to you all.
Still up for sale!!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:36 pm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alex-Kidd-In-miracle-world-2-Sega-MASTER-SYSTEM/322399...

still up for sale and seems there's only one copy left (on ebay.co.uk)

i can't believe people are actually buying this for £71.14 plus there's 10 watchers on this listing...

shame on these people!
Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:10 pm
Has anyone reported this guy to ebay? Maybe that would help. I'm pretty sure they don't allow such shenanigans.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:15 pm
File early, file often. eBay definitely don't like such shonky auctions!
Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 am
FYI this is still going on.. it's just that the copies coming out of spain are better replicas of the original physical releases you guys did. They sell for an absolute killing due to intense auction battles between collectors...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alex-Kidd-In-Miracle-World-2-3-POSTERS-Homebrew-GAME...

160.50 EUR! That's a whopping $263 bucks in my country (Aus).
Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:24 pm
Blake00 wrote
FYI this is still going on.. it's just that the copies coming out of spain are better replicas of the original physical releases you guys did. They sell for an absolute killing due to intense auction battles between collectors...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alex-Kidd-In-Miracle-World-2-3-POSTERS-Homebrew-GAME...

160.50 EUR! That's a whopping $263 bucks in my country (Aus).

I reported that dumbass to Ebay now. This guy sucks hordes of money out of the peoples pockets.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:01 pm
since there's clearly interest, we should really find a way to create repros giving due credit and paying a fair price for parts and work - if we can do such things 'on request', same thing won't appear on eBay for hefty prices

of course just saying. I can't do that :(
Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:49 am
It definitely wouldn't kill it, flippers regularly sell items above market value that you can buy everyday at the store, it would however reduce some of the demand.

That said, there would be issues around IP anyway since they are not original works but hacks of existing licensed games.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:41 pm
I do not intend to defend him but I have bought several very cheap games, the price of his games starts from € 1 and I bid to my limit. I agree that the final price is high but as I say, it puts the auctions from € 1, it is not his fault if the final price increases so much. Also, he always says that is a reproduction, other sellers not.

Over time we have spoken privately many times and he tells me that many people write to him for direct sales and that he never accepts because he does not want to set fixed prices for something like that, Let people choose how much to pay.

About quality, like original games.
I have a youtube channel ahere i showed this kind of games many times, like this

I support this kind of thing as well as all new homebrew and buy directly from the creator. Both uses a donor cartridges, shells, or boxes (some times), everyone makes money but we defend only a few things. I have bought games from him for € 25/30 and pay for homebrew more than € 100

Everyone is free to think what they want but I love their games.

Sorry by my english, I want to explain better what I think but I don't know how to do it.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:43 am
Same guy continues to make an absolute killing off these Alex Kidd 2 sales. There's been several since my last post, but this time the auction ended at $256 AUD / 157.50 EUR (postage NOT included).

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alex-Kidd-In-Miracle-World-2-3-POSTERS-Homebrew-GAME-for-Sega-Master-System-/274479970087

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:21 pm
Blake00 wrote
Same guy continues to make an absolute killing off these Alex Kidd 2 sales. There's been several since my last post, but this time the auction ended at $256 AUD / 157.50 EUR (postage NOT included).

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alex-Kidd-In-Miracle-World-2-3-POSTERS-Homebrew-GAME-for-Sega-Master-System-/274479970087

As long as idiots are going to pay these prices, it´s impossible to stop sellers like these. The best we can do is to avoid him.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!