Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Game Gear Micro & GO Sega - 60th Anniversary

Reply to topic
Game Gear Micro & GO Sega - 60th Anniversary
Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:25 pm
Tomorrow - June 3rd - is Sega's official 60th Anniversary.

There's also this: https://60th.sega.com/
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:40 pm
Also https://60th.sega.com/en/ . Sad that the Master System (and SC-3000) are not mentioned in the history, but then they can't include everything.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:04 am
http://segabits.com/blog/2020/06/02/sega-announces-game-gear-micro-handheld/

Game Gear Micro in 4 colors coming in the fall, at least in Japan...
Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:14 am
Ha! The Game Gear Micro looks fun. It looks a bit too small to comfortably play for long, but... I'm getting at least one of them.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:12 am
I think most people missed that you're getting all four for one price (could be wrong, though)
Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:51 am
S.F wrote
I think most people missed that you're getting all four for one price (could be wrong, though)

The Complete Set that includes all 4 Game Gear Micro's and the "Big Window" add-on costs ¥21,912 (~$200) including tax.

Too bad that the "Smoke" edition from the "Limited DX Pack" is a non-functional model.
dx_sm.jpg (165.78 KB)
dx_sm.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:32 pm
Nonfunctional until you open it up and swap in the parts of a functional unit
Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:35 pm
Kjell wrote
S.F wrote

The Complete Set that includes all 4 Game Gear Micro's and the "Big Window" add-on costs ¥21,912 (~$200) including tax.

Too bad that the "Smoke" edition from the "Limited DX Pack" is a non-functional model.

You're right. That's just too much. I'd rather get my GG McWill modded. Too many other games I want to play.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:50 pm
Sounds like a cool idea (certainly beating Ni****do to the inevitable Game Boy Mini they'll surely make SOME year :P ),
but the tiny size and large price seem like big mistakes.

$50 for one with all 16 games seems like it would be a more mass-market deal.
The current arrangement seems to limit it to a more collector/hardcore fan price. (that is the same number of games per dollar as the Capcom arcade stick, I think!)

Although if Sega does produce an Export version, I imagine there would be a significant change in the lineup, perhaps with a bit more variety. (though the franchises which have multiple games in the lineup I suppose ARE among its biggest: Puyo Puyo, Sonic and Shining.)
Game Gear Micro
Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:22 am
I'm late to the party, but I feel the Game Gear Micro deserves some more attention :)

Especially since its official homepage seems only available in Japanese, maybe some more info can be helpful to those interested:

40% the size of a regular GG. Tiny! Width:80mm × Height:43mm × Depth:20mm
It will work with two AAA batteries but can also be powered via a USB connection, nice. Mono speaker but stereo with microphones. 5,478¥ tax included, unless you go all out and buy the 4 models together, which will set you back 21,912¥, but that's the only way to get the Big Window Micro.

It WILL have save states!

M2 will again be in charge of the software side of things, so that's very good news for the emulation quality.

Title list, complete with GG-themed colours: https://60th.sega.com/ggmicro/titlelist.html

You can check here the exclusive editions for Rakuten Books and Sega Store, and also Amazon's exclusive T-shirts: https://60th.sega.com/ggmicro/shop.html

KingMike wrote
$50 for one with all 16 games seems like it would be a more mass-market deal.
My thoughts exactly. But they seem to be going for a playable keychain/decoration item. I mean, the screen is 1.15 inches. And many of the 16 games are text-heavy RPGs :(

I personally feel they're wasting the chance of releasing a proper Game Gear Mini, not a collectable toy. But maybe they only expected it to appeal to die-hard fans and collectors? Then it makes economic sense to release 4 models to milk the fans dry.
  • Site Admin
Interview & Gunstar Heroes Demo ROM
Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:03 pm
Game Gear micros (apart from White) have shipped now.

Unboxing of Blue one:

Staff interview:
https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/kikaku/1278502.html

The interview state that there is a Demo build of Gunstar Heroes in there:

――最初の発売から四半世紀が過ぎたのに、そこまでブラッシュアップをされていたとはビックリです……。

駒林氏:それから、最初にセガさんからすべてのゲームのバイナリデータをまとめていただいたときに、見覚えのないものがあって試しに起動したら、オープニングデモが終わると「COMING SOON」と画面に表示されて、ただデモループが流れるだけのROMでした。で、このデータはいったい何なのかを堀井に聞いたところ、おもちゃショーのデモ用に作ったものだとわかりました。

奥成氏:多分、東京おもちゃショーか、東京ゲームショウの前身にあたるCSGのどちらかの展示用に作ったものですね。プレイは⼀切できませんので普通こういうROMは処分されてしまうのですが、外注開発タイトルだったおかげなのか、たまたま弊社に保管されていたんですよ。

堀井氏:ショーの会場で、デモが流れているところを確かに⾒た記憶があります。

奥成氏:駒林さんから、「せっかくROMがみつかったんです、ぜひこのデータも入れて出しましょう!」」というご要望がありまして、同じデモが収録されている製品が遊べるのに、別にこんなROMを見てもお客さんはうれしいかな、とも言ったのですが、最終的にはエムツーさんの記念でもあるし、じゃあ入れるか!と。

堀井氏:それにしても懐かしいですね、このデモ。ゲームギア版の「ガンスターヒーローズ」は、デモシーンにはレッドとブルーの2種類のキャラクターが登場するのですが、両方とも出せる容量がなかったので、実際のゲーム本編にはレッドしか出てきません。最初の頃は、通信ケーブルをつないで2人同時プレイができるようにしてはどうかとも考えましたが、スペック的にそこまでやるのは無理でしたね。

To access it, Hold UP while pressing button in the Gunstar Heroes instruction screen:

幻のデモ版の再生コマンド

「ガンスターヒーローズ」の説明画面で方向ボタンの↑を押したまま決定ボタンを押す。ゲーム起動時のSEGAロゴの背景が黒で、トレジャーの旧ロゴにマークが無ければ成功

08_l.jpg (57.42 KB)
08_l.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:01 pm
――It's surprising that a quarter of a century has passed since the first release, but it was brushed up to that extent ...

Mr. Komabayashi: Then, when Mr. Sega first compiled the binary data of all the games, there was something I didn't recognize and I started it for a trial, and when the opening demo was over, "COMING SOON" was displayed on the screen. It was just a ROM with a demo loop. So, when I asked Horii what exactly this data was, I found that it was made for a demo of a toy show.

Mr. Okunari: Probably it was made for the exhibition of either the Tokyo Toy Show or CSG, the predecessor of the Tokyo Game Show. Since the play cannot be cut off, such ROMs are usually disposed of, but probably because it was an outsourced development title, it happened to be stored in our company.

Mr. Horii: I do remember seeing the demonstrations at the show venue.

Mr. Okunari: Mr. Kanazawa requested, "I found the ROM, so let's put this data in and put it out!", And even though I can play the product with the same demo, it's like this. I said that the customers would be happy to see the ROM, but in the end it's also a memorial to M2, so let's put it in! When.

Mr. Horii: Even so, this demo is nostalgic. In the game gear version of "Gunstar Heroes", two types of characters, red and blue, appear in the demoscene, but since there was not enough capacity to put out both, only red appears in the actual game main part. .. At the beginning, I thought about connecting a communication cable so that two people could play at the same time, but it was impossible to do so in terms of specifications.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 am
It seems the GG Micro screen is a 240x240 panel with plastic covering 1/4 of its area so you get to see a 240x180 rectangle. So this means the games are stretched to fit with rather poor quality. The attached image demonstrates the area used.
bootlogo_img.png (16.29 KB)
bootlogo_img.png

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!