SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star retranslation 2.00 released

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  • Site Admin
Phantasy Star retranslation 2.00 released
Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:52 pm
We are proud to announce the release of version 2.00 of our long-in-production translation patch for Phantasy Star. This patch retranslates the original Japanese game to give a whole host of improvements:

• More faithful to the original Japanese script
• Expanded script
• Expanded menus and item names
• Sound test and sound chip selection
• Built-in cheats to make the game a little less tough/slow
• Two custom fonts, with upper and lowercase letters
• Expanded save slot names and three additional save slots
• Fully compatible with old saves, the original cartridge (with ROM replacement) and of course for play on real hardware

This update also includes lots of script changes, faster scene changes, bug fixes, and a great deal of improvements to the translation helper programs which should help future translations to more languages. Like the previous releases, this is all open source.

Download the patch here:

https://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-EN

Happy birthday Alisa Landale!
Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:24 pm
well done !
GhaleonUnlimited
Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:14 pm
Awesome!

Our podcast (Maxim and I) about the patch is live :

http://PSIV.gamesdonelegit.com

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:44 pm
Great work! I'm listening to the podcast now.

Will this be submited to RHDN soon?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:22 pm
Feel free to submit it on our behalf, I’m not a member.
Spanish?
Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:10 pm
Awesome job do it with rom, i had near a year learning a modify in slowpoke speed the game to make my Spanish Translation, and well don't goes well xD.

You had planned to translate to spanish?

I ever want to full translate this game to spanish (latam), but directly from Japanese can be hard for someone is starting in the romhacking xD.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:47 pm
I want to make alternate language versions which capture some of the difficulties (extra punctuation, gendered words, accented characters) - but it may take me another 12 years.
Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:13 am
Congratulations Maxim, I've got a reason to play this wonderful game again, by the way as a bit off-topic are there many complications for a game to have multi languages? including japanese and taking the premise that kanji characters can be one tile, I mean everything within a single game, and to the topic thanks for this release!!!.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:01 am
Technically, no, but it takes more space. The script engine here is tailored to English grammar, for example using "s" to pluralise most nouns and using "an", "the", "a" articles. It needs to all fit into roughly 20KB of space - and the English script is 35KB. Shipping multiple engines, or making one across multiple languages, would just take a load more space. Of course, one of the goals for this translation was to not take any extra ROM space, so we apply various types of compression to achieve this.
Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:09 pm
Great work ! What a fantastic work it seems to be !
I've tasted the start of the game and all was great ! Congratulations for this marvelous job !!!

But just after the beginning, just when I was in Camineet...I'm able to move but too fast ! So Alisa is stuck in different places and so I can't play the game...
I have tried to modify the walk speed option, that was from the start at *8...but I can only put it at *7 or *8 ! S it's impossible to play...

Sorry to bother you with some technical problems..but maybe it's my fault ?

Thank you in advance for your help and again many congratulations for your wondeful "job" ! :)
GhaleonUnlimited
Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:26 pm
I played through it on a 17" Commodore monitor in S-video, and with a tube stretching out the resolution to how PS is meant to look, the new font was easily readable for me.

I think it was smart to give ppl the option, though, and the old one is definitely easier to read.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:49 pm
myau56 wrote
I'm able to move but too fast ! So Alisa is stuck in different places and so I can't play the game...

I think this may be an issue when you have an existing save file. You should be able to change the speed to x1 in the menu.
Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:08 pm
I'm not sure if this has already been pointed out, or if I just need to patch another ROM. When fighting a tarantula, when a group member gets webbed the text runs off the screen in what looks like a hodgepodge of some foreign language ending in the world 'help'.
Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:22 pm
The RHDN page has been updated. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1069/

sheath wrote
I'm not sure if this has already been pointed out, or if I just need to patch another ROM. When fighting a tarantula, when a group member gets webbed the text runs off the screen in what looks like a hodgepodge of some foreign language ending in the world 'help'.

That's interesting. Doesn't the message "[player] is all bound up." appear during the fight with Nightmare? It sounds like an easy place to test it, unless it only shows up with Tarantulas.
Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:04 am
That's interesting. Doesn't the message "[player] is all bound up." appear during the fight with Nightmare? It sounds like an easy place to test it, unless it only shows up with Tarantulas.

Yes, it says [character] is all bound up and later that they are released. During the fight with tarantulas and slime though, after a character is bound up, it has the strange string ending in help.
PSGlitch1.jpg (98.76 KB)
SlimeGlitch
PSGlitch1.jpg
PSGlitch2.jpg (110.19 KB)
TarantulaGlitch
PSGlitch2.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:41 am
Aargh, sounds like another bug... I’ll take a look.
Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:57 am
Maxim wrote
Aargh, sounds like another bug... I’ll take a look.

Sorry, we are really enjoying all of the updates. Thank you for all of the hard work.
Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:18 am
Maxim wrote
Technically, no, but it takes more space. The script engine here is tailored to English grammar, for example using "s" to pluralise most nouns and using "an", "the", "a" articles. It needs to all fit into roughly 20KB of space - and the English script is 35KB. Shipping multiple engines, or making one across multiple languages, would just take a load more space. Of course, one of the goals for this translation was to not take any extra ROM space, so we apply various types of compression to achieve this.

Ohh quite interesting, scripting and compressing the concepts I will take a look, thanks.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:29 am
You can see the script here: https://github.com/maxim-zhao/psrp/blob/master/psrp/script.txt (warning: spoilers!) and how the text has to insert things like item names with articles and plurals.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:31 am
sheath wrote
Sorry, we are really enjoying all of the updates. Thank you for all of the hard work.

No need to be sorry - it is good to find bugs so I can fix them.
Post Posted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:52 pm
Maxim wrote
myau56 wrote
I'm able to move but too fast ! So Alisa is stuck in different places and so I can't play the game...

I think this may be an issue when you have an existing save file. You should be able to change the speed to x1 in the menu.

Unfortunately...no ! For me, alas, it's impossible to change the speed other than *7 or*8 ! It's a bit strange as I seem to be the only person "suffering" from this problem ! I'll try another time but for the moment I don't know how to do it !
But congratulations again for your superb work !!
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:23 am
Wow what a project! Great work guys and thanks for sharing
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:23 am
myau56 wrote
Maxim wrote
myau56 wrote

Unfortunately...no ! For me, alas, it's impossible to change the speed other than *7 or*8 ! It's a bit strange as I seem to be the only person "suffering" from this problem ! I'll try another time but for the moment I don't know how to do it !
But congratulations again for your superb work !!

Sorry to bother you again but I've tried to change and use another patcher (from Lunar IPS to Floating IPS) and I've tried it with the two files (ps1jert200.bps and ps1jert200.ips) but to no avail...still blocked with speed only *7 or *8 so I can't play the patch, unfortunately...:(
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:44 am
Last edited by Maxim on Sun May 31, 2020 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Can you send me your save file? It seems to have a value at address $0210 which is unexpected. Editing that - or deleting your save file - should fix it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:01 am
I can't reproduce the Tarantula issue, can anyone give me a savestate? I'm hacking the game to make them appear at will and I have characters bound up, dodging, and no glitches.
Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:38 pm
One of my favourite comedy troupes, Loading Ready Run, pre-recording-of-funny/sarcastic-news-show show mentioned this patch.

https://youtu.be/mQJ4zzB_tm0?t=2399 Starts at the mention.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:13 am
Maxim wrote
myau56 wrote

This is an issue with emulators that don't support save RAM at all. I may add some code to guard against it.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:43 pm
Thanks for the excellent work, I had to really decide whether I wanted to replay this classic game with Sega Ages Switch version or your patch, but the more thorough translation has won me over (still bought the Switch one too to support M2's great work, though!).

One thing I am trying to figure out is that I can't seem to select a sound chip other than SN76483 at the game's title screen. Does this have something to do with the emulator? I am using Retroarch's Genesis Plus GX core which emulates multiple sega consoles in one (SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, etc).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:44 pm
Yes, you need to enable FM support in the emulator settings.
Legit question.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:50 am
Hello there!

Guys, I have a question. Sorry if it's badly written - cuz English is not my original language.

Theres is any way (or any link) for me to download this version 2.0 directly in the ROM format (.sms) ?

I'm trying to play it on my Android using S.MasterSystem Emulator. So I can't aplly the IPS/BPS patch by cellphone.

Any help would be most welcome. I'm a huge fan of PS1 and very excited about this version.

Thanks in advance! :)
Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:25 pm
JusVictor wrote
Hello there!

Guys, I have a question. Sorry if it's badly written - cuz English is not my original language.

Theres is any way (or any link) for me to download this version 2.0 directly in the ROM format (.sms) ?

I'm trying to play it on my Android using S.MasterSystem Emulator. So I can't aplly the IPS/BPS patch by cellphone.

Any help would be most welcome. I'm a huge fan of PS1 and very excited about this version.

Thanks in advance! :)

No, that would be illegal.
Even if the patch is free it uses a base that is very much still in copyright, if SEGAs legal team have done their jobs.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:14 pm
Maxim wrote
You can see the script here: script.txt (warning: spoilers!) and how the text has to insert things like item names with articles and plurals.

I can't share the link because of this msg
"Non-registered or recent members are not allowed to post links. Sorry, spammers force us to do this :)"

Well that not have sense in a quote xD.

For me, no problem with that, i had finish the game multiple time, well the english is not my language i just want to re-traslate the game to spanish (latin america)

But i saw that source code, i want to know the level limit, in the original game is 30, but with this patch i don't know.

Another question you know if someone are translating Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity from Japanese to English ?

i am playing "Phantasy Star Portable 2", and well i don't press any attention to story because are on english xD jajaja.

i want to translate that game too to spanish. but i know that is a lot of work to do. and right now i am re-translating "Return To Castle Woleinstein" using the engine "iortcw" to spanish, because right now appears on spanglish xD (Some parts spanish some parts in english, all mixed)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:19 am
We don’t change the game mechanics like level and monster stats.

Translating to other languages is a challenge because we have zero free space for accents and the grammar rules are language specific, requiring code changes to support it. I intend (maybe in another 15 years...) to port the French translation as a proof of concept, as it’s my best chance language to not screw up totally, but other Roman languages will likely be easier after that.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:49 pm
JusVictor wrote

You can use Unipatcher to apply patches to ROMs on your Android device. It handles IPS, BPS, XDELTA and possibly other patch formats too.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:46 pm
Another really cool sprite hack has appeared:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5248/
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:31 pm
Not sure about the black eyes look... but it is probably compatible with this patch (replacing black hair Alisa).
Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:20 am
Seeing here now I also found the eyes a little strange, maybe with an edit they could make them more 'natural'.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:48 am
How about this?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:19 pm
I think it would be good to show before and after.
OpenEmu FM Sound Fix
Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:03 pm
A tip for those of us using OpenEmu:

FM Sound Issue:
OpenEmu reads the patched rom as a Master System cart, and locks out the option to use FM sound. But, it turns out OpenEmu has a secret prefs window.

To Enable It:
Open the normal Prefs window in OpenEmu. Using your keyboard, enter the Konami Code; Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B. The Secret menu will be added to the Prefs window. From here you can set the “Region” to Japan, which will force the patched rom to load on the Mark III BIOS. Western roms should still load normally, but you can change the region back to “auto” if you run into problems.

Now OpenEmu fans can enjoy the newest “quality of life” features without sacrificing FM Sound. And that’s great news! ‘Cause this patch is just about perfect 👌🏼. Thank you so much to everyone who made it possible!
secret prefs menu.png (679.17 KB)
secret prefs menu.png

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:01 pm
Maxim wrote
I think it would be good to show before and after.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:52 pm
Retranslation and new sprites!!! Amazing!

Now we need a rebalance like Hordes of Nei did. Not so aggressive, but the sufficient to make Tylon truly hit strong (at least stronger than Alisa) and Lutz able to cast spells more frequently.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:58 pm
Now for a bugfix that may upset a few people... I think the original translator lined up the item names between the Sega translation and Paul Jensen's retranslation. What wasn't obvious from that is that two pairs of items got swapped when Sega did their translation:

- シルバータスク (Silver Tusk) became IRN.FANG, I had Saber Claw
- サーベルクロー (Saber Claw) became SLV.FANG, I had Silver Tusk
- アイアンシールド (Iron Shield) became BRNZ.SLD, I had Bronze Shield
- ボロンシールド (Bronze Shield) became IRN. SLD, I had Iron Shield

I'll be fixing up the retranslation to reflect the correct names. Thanks to Jonzo Bear in the Discord channel for finding the discrepancy with the manual, which states that "A shield made of iron is more durable than a Leather Shield, but also heavy, so Alisa can't carry one".

If anyone can help me reproduce the Tarantula glitch, please let me know.
Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:30 am
Talking about bugfixes, give a look into Myau's ATK at lvl 30. Japanese ROMs have a bugged value.

0xFA88 should be 0x56 but it is 0x24.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:44 am
Interesting, I hadn’t heard of that.
Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:58 am
necropresto wrote
Talking about bugfixes, give a look into Myau's ATK at lvl 30. Japanese ROMs have a bugged value.

0xFA88 should be 0x56 but it is 0x24.

Do you know any other bugs? The time is now.
Bug report
Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:12 am
Found a bug on 2.0, set to standard font.

On monster name txt box in battle, anomaly or (red box) appears over the monster's name.

Btw I noticed Reset on console is fixed.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:37 am
Can you give more details?
Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:17 pm
Last edited by nategamrdude on Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Maxim wrote
Can you give more details?

In battle mode, the text box for enemies has an artifact like the mountains block appearing (flickering) over the name of monsters. Happens occasionally.

Btw I set to standard font.

Pause also seems broken, locks up console.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:10 am
Post a picture, man.
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!