Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star retranslation update beta test

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:22 pm
OK, after being sidetracked by multiple other projects, I've finished my first playthrough of v2.00. Everything looks good, and I haven't encountered any further bugs or issues.

I'm patiently awaiting official release! :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:16 am
I confirmed the behaviour with Laerma berries and no Laconian pot. I'll see about finishing this off in the next few days...
GhaleonUnlimited
Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:12 pm
Can't wait! Shining Force III series is wayyyy longer than I expected and need a break. Perfect timing.

I'll have our podcast ep edited soon and I'll put it out the week of patch release! Vivify said it'll be this month. Nice workkkk, and thanks everyone who made this happen.

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:14 am
I've peeked at the new font and I must say I'm a little lost. Is there a reason you're so set on using a stylized, difficult-to-read font? Don't get me wrong, this medieval-style font would be fine in a hack-and-slash game for flourishes or a line or two here and there, but there are no empty spaces between each line anymore at all in PSI. I think a simple bold font would be best for this game at this point.

I gave a look at RHDN's font archive and found some ones I think would fit PSI:

https://www.romhacking.net/fonts/132/ Bold version of this

https://www.romhacking.net/fonts/86/ This if you really want a more stylized font
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:19 am
I’m thinking of making the font optional. The argument about gaps between lines is not very convincing to me, the font is readable for dialogue but I can see that a plain font is plainer and that’s an option some might prefer. The ones you linked are super boring and generic, I don’t think that’s appealing at all - the 1.0 font would be my preferred fallback.

Edit: it is now optional.

Edit 2: I just added a feature to save all the new settings to SRAM - outside a save slot - so they will always stay as you last left them.
ps1jert-59.png (6.97 KB)
Old font
ps1jert-59.png
ps1jert-58.png (7.2 KB)
New font
ps1jert-58.png

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:57 pm
This might be one of those instances where it probably would be preferable to have separate patches with the different fonts. The 1.0 font clearly is easier on the eyes while the new one looks kinda nice too.

Either way, it is great to see this getting an update!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 7:16 am
There’s room for both with a menu option to select between them.
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:27 am
Maxim, I cannot express in words how fascinated I was to know that you are working on an update to the 2008 version. From what I saw over the 3 pages, you managed to improve what I thought was already perfect!

I bought Phantasy Star in 1990 and finished the game, without exaggeration, about 100 times over the years. Best game for me. Period.

However, I have only one request: please, PLEASE solve the problem of the attack/defense of the game. There is nothing more annoying than being in LVL 30, with the best possible equipment (diamond armor, laconia shield) and the ridiculous Monster Fly bug taking 20~30HP from Alis!!

Thank you very much for your effort and good work!
Hug from Brazil.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:37 am
I haven’t ventured far into the attack system to be able to change the way it works - and doing so could severely change the game.
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:12 pm
Thank you for the option. Starting a new game with the new ability for options to save to SRAM defaults EXP/MST accrual to x0. Is this intended for challenge playthroughs? You can't seem to toggle back to x0 once you select x1-4.
Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:48 pm
I really wish they would have kept the original cover art for the western release.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:40 am
vivify93 wrote
Thank you for the option. Starting a new game with the new ability for options to save to SRAM defaults EXP/MST accrual to x0. Is this intended for challenge playthroughs? You can't seem to toggle back to x0 once you select x1-4.

x0 was not intentional, surely the game would be brutal without it? You would only be able to earn money by selling dropped items, and surely you can’t play through without levelling up? I can add these zeros if it is useful.
Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:00 am
If the 0 wasn't intentional I would say no, don't add it as a feature and instead try to force a blank SRAM game to start at x1.
GhaleonUnlimited
Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:05 pm
Finished a playthrough last weekend, all looks great! Played with max "cheats" and didn't find any bugs or anything.

Q: This old-man NPC said this to me in a random town, which seems out-of-context. He also has the same dialog later in the Air Castle town (in makes sense there). Is this on purpose?
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg (616.69 KB)
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

GhaleonUnlimited
Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 pm
Also, I'm surprised to see -Chan in there for the game designers' in-game hints. What was the conversation like on localizing this or not? (to "miss" or something, for the women)

I didn't notice anything else at all to mention the whole game. Excellent work! How soon before it's considered officially done?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:11 pm
The shared dialog for the old man is what the original game does. It’s a bit weird but whatever.

The chan suffix was always there, I guess it sounds more Japanesey but indeed elsewhere the suffix is missing. I think “Miss Gamer Miki” would not sound right. (See also http://shmuplations.com/phantasystar/ )

I’m planning to release any day now, I just need a little time to put together some screenshots.
Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:22 am
Tomorrow is Alisa's birthday. Just sayin'. ;)
GhaleonUnlimited
Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:57 am
Cool! Looking forward to it. Thanks for the answers

• Site Admin
Finally released!
Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:03 pm
https://www.smspower.org/forums/17975-PhantasyStarRetranslation200Released

Please move discussion in there...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!