Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Are the contacts for controller port 1 available inside a GG?

Reply to topic
Are the contacts for controller port 1 available inside a GG?
Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:17 pm
So, I'm looking at getting my GG back up and running (finally located a repair outfit in the UK), mainly for the purposes of testing SMS hacks.

I'm planning to go ahead and consolize it with 2x controller ports and video out, maybe even build a dock for it, but before I do I was wondering whether there's a full set of contacts including TH for player 1's control port hidden in there somewhere. I still plan to use a clock and latches to read the start button from an MD pad, but if possible I'd like to have switchable "direct" support for eg. the GG2SMS hacks I've worked on.

Anyone happen to have knowledge of this?

PS. Yes, I know using a GG to play GG2SMS hacks is perhaps a bit weird, but as I say, it's for testing purposes. I've come across hacks that my MD setup refuses to boot.
Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:49 am
Last edited by segasonicfan on Tue May 05, 2020 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
The TH pin for player one is not available inside the GG. It has to be recreated with a special circuit neto developed, which can only work on a VA0. I plan to make a PCB of the circuit, hopefully in the near future.

A while back calindro was very kind and reprogrammed a bunch of the light gun games to have 1 player work on controller Port 2. That way you can play most light gun games on a Game Gear.

I also sell an add-on board that you can install in the game gear for Auto fire and start button support with a Genesis controller. You can see pictures of it installing a Game Gear on my website linked below (on the Uni Gen tab under Shop).
Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:31 pm
Thanks for the response! I'm aware of the Uni Gen, but I was hoping to be able to use the Game Gear as a platform for testing my own controller code. I might just settle for buying a Master System, since it's probably cheaper than fixing up my GG, and I can always use my Mega SG for playing GG games on the big screen.
Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:48 pm
Wafer wrote
Thanks for the response! I'm aware of the Uni Gen, but I was hoping to be able to use the Game Gear as a platform for testing my own controller code. I might just settle for buying a Master System, since it's probably cheaper than fixing up my GG, and I can always use my Mega SG for playing GG games on the big screen.

To clarify, you don't actually need a Uni Gen unless you want start button and Auto fire support.

If you decide not to fix up the game gear, I'd be happy to give it a home :)

Edit: looks like you're in the UK, so I think shipping would be prohibitively expensive, oh well.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!