Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MBMPlay SMS - Replayer for FM modules made with MoonBlaster

Reply to topic
MBMPlay SMS - Replayer for FM modules made with MoonBlaster
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:21 am
I got quite a few questions regarding the use of FM music in my competition entry, so, as promised, I'm happy to share my sources here.

When I first got interested in FM sound, I took a look at Zipper's version of the MoonBlaster replayer, but for reasons I still don't quite understand I was unable to make it work. So I went back to the source of the MSX replayer and ported it to the Master System (again). This time, I succeeded, and while I was at it, I added some basic support for sound effects.

MoonBlaster certainly isn't the most user friendly of trackers, and getting it to run in an MSX emulator can be a bit of a hassle initially, but once you have it up and running, it's quite easy to get good results out of it, even if its arbitrary limitations need some working around.
cnvrtsfx.zip (26.4 KB)
SFX converter
MBMPlay_SMS.zip (11.03 KB)
MBMPlay SMS

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:32 am
Wow!, amazing stuff! :-D
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:54 am
Nice! I think you should provide a small example with source code, even though the READMEs are quite explanatory, IMHO.

also, I think this opens a new chapter in the SMS homebrew scene :D
Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:35 pm
Nice work!
SMS needs more FM!
Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:12 pm
Here is a small example ROM. The program checks if FM sound is available. If yes, it starts the song. Button 1 fires an FM sound effect, button 2 its PSG equivalent. Sources are included. Enjoy!
MBMPlay_Example.zip (22.32 KB)
Demo ROM

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:14 pm
Really excellent.
Thanks for this Kagesan!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:16 pm
I'm studying it a bit (your sources).

Of course one of the goals is to wrap your code into C functions so that it can be used from C programs, and it needs some things changed to make that easier (or even possible...) to do this.

So I was wondering... why don't you put in some repository like GitHub? I could then fork from there and provide patches directly to your master source, and you'll still be able to see what's changing.

Of course I don't know your opinion about using a repository so, well, what do you think about it?
Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:00 pm
+1 to Sverx suggestion
Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:00 pm
I'll look into it.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:40 pm
Done:
https://github.com/HerrSchatten/MBMPlay-SMS
Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:09 pm
great!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:47 pm
Perfect!
Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:14 pm
This talk on msx.org prompted me to update MBMPlay for the Master System. The wrong way of triggering the rhythm instruments, carried over from the original source, got changed to the (presumably) correct one.

Functionally, it doesn't make a difference, as the wrong way just happens to work perfectly fine.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:46 am
I have a question totally out of context. A curiosity, what if somebody can explain to me, thanks.
What if the FM soundchip in FM expansion was changed for other? For example, if i was changed a YM 2413 IC for a YM2612 IC in PCB? It works? and if i was want a FM expansion with a YM2612 i must change the PCB components or is not possible in any case?
Sorry for my madness.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:54 am
The chips most likely do not have the same pin out, so some work would be required to adapt them. However, the bigger issue is that every FM chip has a different “API” in terms of how the game tells the chip what to do. It’s not like MIDI where different chips play the same music with different instruments, it’s more like trying to load a Word document into Paint - it just won’t work because it’s incompatible.

If you wanted to make a YM2612 expansion for Master System, it would be quite possible to base it on the YM2413 expansion, but the software would have to be specifically written to use it.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:13 pm
The chips most likely do not have the same pin out, so some work would be required to adapt them.

Ah! So i could use the same PCB? Excellent.

However, the bigger issue is that every FM chip has a different “API” in terms of how the game tells the chip what to do. It’s not like MIDI where different chips play the same music with different instruments, it’s more like trying to load a Word document into Paint - it just won’t work because it’s incompatible.

If you wanted to make a YM2612 expansion for Master System, it would be quite possible to base it on the YM2413 expansion, but the software would have to be specifically written to use it

Im aware that in case would be necessary write a specific code for this new soundchip. But i guess i understood that you explained. For example, Kenseiden dont would have a sound output in TV or an output messy with the new soundchip adapted. Thank for clarify me.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!