Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Competitions 2020

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:28 pm
Bock wrote
Clearly KiddEd has really skewed the Hack competiton, in a good way, but also making it difficult for more regular hacks to compete. At this point KiddEd is its own authoring package, and maybe we can considering rebranding this competition as as "KiddEd Competition" ?

Maybe this would also motivate people to participate in the "regular" Hack competition? As Maxim points it is a continuum, any new upcoming tools can alter the balance of that competition and it will always be difficult for people to judge of the effort put into those hacks. In addition in the current status quo it is unlikely there would be enough entries. But we could try perhaps. Maybe if you wrote technical posts detailing some of the hacks it would help people understand the work and motivate people to create more hacks.

As for me, I would love if there were more editors like KiddEd but for other game engines.

Better would be called those as „KiddEd games” this way its sounds like a genre and that would be a good thing. In one way everybody knows what KiddEd is but at the same time dont depreciate amound of work from creator. KiddEd now its not swap color palet or tileset. Amount of work is much bigger. Complite new tileset, new levels, new animations, enemies, game plot, sounds... etc. For me now caled it even hack is abit depreciate because in Unreal Engine you also can make game without coding, same thing i Unity. Alex in KiddEd is „engine” core that also can be change and many games prove that.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:02 pm
Hello Maxim ! Is it possible to update the rom on the download page with the new one posted on the topic of my game Wardner? Thanks
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:25 pm
Everyone: voting ends in 8 hours, please make sure to put your votes in!

In the everyone of everyone, PLEASE ACT NICE AND VOTE FAIRLY <3

- Please don't vote for your own entry.
- If you are entering, please don't vote unfairly for other entries in the same category (e.g. don't agressively undervote others). Please don't bring your registered-at-last-minute friends to skew the voting.

We have a small number of users and voting here and thus skewing attempts are meaningful altering the competition. As with every year we have ways to detect abnormally skewed voting patterns but we'd be honestly prefer to not have to see them.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 pm
so tempting now to break both of your requests by undervoting myself :D

seriously - is it just me or we never before have had such a wonderful collection of great new games? I mean, sure we have had great games submitted in the past! And we also had an amazing number of entries once, a few years ago but... this year is absolutely the quality&quantity peak in my opinion.

Well, no, I'm not hoping the lockdown goes on forever. I just hope we'll keep on celebrating each SMS Power! birthday with loads of great content again. Thanks everybody who took part - you're great.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:19 pm
Well, i would like to say that you dont need undervote your work @sverx. Your work is always fine, detailed and nice.
Im upset with you because you dont submitted any game this year. We know that your games are enhanced and have quality. If you had a game submission this year and some others good programmers too could be a phenomenal competition.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:31 am
segarule wrote
Im upset with you because you dont submitted any game this year.

doing a complete game requires a lot of time, and I no longer have it, unfortunately. We'll see what the future brings.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:53 am
You can start now for next year :)

Alternatively (as I’m terrible at completing games myself) consider that even making a small entry is hugely rewarding and great fun. Entering this competition isn’t because you want to win - after all, we don’t do prizes - it’s because it’s good to have some impetus to finish off that project and publicise it.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:37 pm
Results are in! Due to the ALE OR MEAD problem the SMS Power! elves suffer from, sadly some of the more unusual voting patterns were filtered out. Forum results will reflect this later.

https://www.smspower.org/Competitions/Coding-2020

Congratulations to Heroes and Demons, truly a great game that surpasses plenty of commercial releases. It's very close amongst everyone else, well done everyone!

https://www.smspower.org/Competitions/Music-2020

Two great entries, EVILDEAD REQUIEM takes it by a nose.

https://www.smspower.org/Competitions/Hacks-2020

I think we had a lot of charming attacks on the Alex Kidd in Miracle World engine, and the charmingest came top! Well done to the gelatinous blob in Galactic Boogers.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:50 pm
Congratulations to every participants!
A great SMS year, with many nice entries.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:53 pm
Congrats ichigo, Polaria, Yeti+Calindro and everybody else! :)
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:53 pm
I really believe that results are perfectly right.

Heroes and Demons is awesome and I usually not like that kind of games, but when you try it, it is impossible not thinking another way.

And Galactic Boogers is so great, beatiful and addictive. I really love it.

Thank you all for doing this kind of competitions and games.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:02 pm
Congratulations to all winners and participants. Truly a great year with many wonderful entries.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:49 pm
Congratulations everyone, and especially to the winners!
There was a lot of stuffs to play and listen to this year, it was wonderful! :)

And thanks to SMS Power for running such a cool competition!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:38 am
Congrats to everybody! the level this year is incredible!

I haven't voted because being in a lockdown with two under 3 kids is crazyness, and I've only devoted couple of minutes to each entry, but they feel amazing!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:56 am
Congratulation to the winners! Now lets work hard together to terminate this sad situation as soon posible and for new projects, even for the next smspower compo. See you soon !!!
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:39 pm
Too bad that there is still a lot of anomaly about votes (I don't see why peoples vote 1, 2 or 3...).

Anyway, congrats to all and once again French rules^^

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:20 pm
(I don't see why peoples vote 1, 2 or 3...).

Some entries i voted 1, 2 or 3. I can explain my reasons. But i also can ask why peoples vote 10 for many entries. Both cases can be considered unfair. Just the people are happy with praise and not critics.
Well, i totally agree with Bock about a participant´s vote in category itself which submitted a entry.
Anyway, in Ultra-short-rules dont is informed that someone cannot vote 1,2 or 3. If this votes not are welcome so somebody change the scale to 5-10 or something.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:09 pm
thanks to all for the votes, the result has been better than expected, congratulations to all
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:37 pm
All we say is that 1 means terrible and 1 means excellent. How you choose to interpret is up to you, but voting at wild extremes can seem odd (e.g everything is 1-4 except one is worth 10).

A lot of the filtered votes were 10s.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:58 pm
Congratulations to all entries ;)
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:11 pm
Congratulations to all and thank you for this year rich in new entries.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:31 pm
Maxim wrote
All we say is that 1 means terrible and 1 means excellent. How you choose to interpret is up to you, but voting at wild extremes can seem odd (e.g everything is 1-4 except one is worth 10).

A lot of the filtered votes were 10s.

I would like give a example about my vote.
I hope that kagesan can forgive me. In truth, i love Kagesan´s games, graphics, music. I traded some messages with him.
So "Sunny the Mermaid" how i will judge the entry?
1 - Intro
2- Game.
Like Intro it is marvelous but like game not have game there.

I saw this statment:
"Here's a little sneak preview of what I'm working on. There's not much of a game yet, so for now, the intro sequence and title screen have to suffice"
So i resolved vote like a game and for me is 1. But the intro was too awesome that i gave a 2. ( i guess. I dont remember more).
I dont guess that my vote will change the final result. I think that all winners are worth. Im not submitted any entry, and i dont have bad intentions.
If my vote is upsetting.So you can null all my evaluations.
Im only been honest with my conscience.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:50 pm
I'm all for using all the range from 1 to 10 if you please but...
... I'm not even sure it would be right to give 1 to something where you can just move a sprite on screen by pressing arrow keys - after all it's a great achievement for a beginner. So, whatever your opinion is, if you give 1 or 2 to Kagesan's intro (you can't vote the game as it isn't there!) you're not considering the great work he did, and neither the outcome of his work.
Seriously - FM background music, partial scrolling, dual palette with separate fade-ins, everything ultra-polished Kagesan's style. 1 or 2? WTF!

My two cents.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:33 pm
I guess we can clarify for next year. It is a coding competition, not a game competition. We are getting a lot of really polished entries but the requirement is not to make a fun game, it is to write something that might be a game or a demo or a technical thing. It’s a bit hard to compare, but you are voting for the achievement, not the game quality per se.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:37 pm
I believe the majority of us understand perfectly how the voting system works, and the proof are the comments received. Kagesan's game received a lot of great comments praising his work.

I know Segarule will improve his voting system for the next year, and I hope we will have such a incredible year like this.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:39 pm
Drat! I missed voting again this year. Anyways.. Congrats to everyone that participated! :)
Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:24 am
Congratulations guys for such amazing entries!

I didn't have time to vote on all entries, and just realized that voting deadlines are really strict on these competitions =) But real life is as satisfying :)

But amazing works anyway.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!