8 22% 22%
9 27% 27%
10 (Excellent) 0% 0%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Hack competition 2020] Tower of Sorrow by Steiger
Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:02 pm
https://www.smspower.org/Hacks/AlexKiddInMiracleWorld-SMS-TowerOfSorrow-Mod

Nobody knows the place, nobody knows the time, a ghastly beast lived in a tall tower near a village. Terrified of the beast’s wrath, the villagers gave up their crops to appease it. But a time came when harvest was not plentiful and so the offerings not as generous as before. Offended, the beast ravaged the village wreaking havoc everywhere, and, as a final act of revenge, attacked one cottage and kidnapped the inhabitant’s beloved. Knocked out by the beast, the man came to after a while and, enlisting the help of an old man, found the entrance to the tower and set out to snatch his love from the beast’s claws.

Great!
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:57 pm
Ummm...

this game is great!

It lacks music, but the nice sound effects makes me remember the old retro 8 bit amstrad platformer games.

It is a nice adventure, with balanced platforming concepts and the new enemies are a appearing in a regular basis, in a fair experience.

The infinite lives is a nice thing, also. It keeps the player playing.

Where will be the end? I was playing it but a nasty bug stopped me... see the image, what it happens is that the player does not die falling in a well and cannot exit jumping.

I am going to try it another time, saving states between stages with emulicious, the castlevania like plot and ambient will keep me playing this afternoon up to the end.

Great!
TowerOfSorrow-1.png (3.43 KB)
Bug
TowerOfSorrow-1.png

Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:12 pm
Ummm....

Please add new levels!
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:39 pm
Last edited by Steiger on Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
eruiz00 wrote
Ummm...

this game is great!

It lacks music, but the nice sound effects makes me remember the old retro 8 bit amstrad platformer games.

It is a nice adventure, with balanced platforming concepts and the new enemies are a appearing in a regular basis, in a fair experience.

The infinite lives is a nice thing, also. It keeps the player playing.

Where will be the end? I was playing it but a nasty bug stopped me... see the image, what it happens is that the player does not die falling in a well and cannot exit jumping.

I am going to try it another time, saving states between stages with emulicious, the castlevania like plot and ambient will keep me playing this afternoon up to the end.

Great!

Thanks for feedback, yes if you saw map on pause you will see there will be more levels, i desing them but didint have enough time to add.

Fix 1:
- Pits in level 6
Fix 2:
- Change fall acceleration, this remove occasional savelock what could happening in level 5 or level 6
Fix 3:
- Level 4 player can die doing transition between screens
- Level 4 change ladder
- Stuck in die animation in level 5

[Admin: update added to download page]

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:28 pm
I really like it when games look more modern than what you'd expect on an eight-bit system. I love the art style and general atmosphere of the game. Some of the screens are quite brutal, so I'm glad you gave us infinite lives. I think I got pretty far in the game, but then got stuck in aplace where I kept dying repeatedly with no chance to escape. Will have another go later.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:35 pm
Really nice game!
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:18 pm
Kagesan wrote
but then got stuck in aplace where I kept dying repeatedly with no chance to escape. Will have another go later.

Did you try fix 2 version? I posted it here. If do and it still happend please send a screenshoot i will check that!

law81 wrote
Really nice game!

Thanks!
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:39 pm
Houston, we have a problem. The Player no die and cannot continue in this scene.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:11 pm
segarule wrote
Houston, we have a problem. The Player no die and cannot continue in this scene.

fixed in fix 3
Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:43 am
Great atmosphere and a unique color palette. I can't wait to play at the next levels !
Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:31 pm
I have just uploaded the updated version (fix 3).
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:32 pm
Steiger, I've just tryied your game, and I loved inmediatly. I really love graphics and atmosphere, it is amazing. I love the way our character hits, wonderful. I've read last topics and I've realized that there is another version(fix3), I tryied the first one and was impossible to continue because of a big fail. I will download the last one and try it again.

There is only one thing that I don't like it, and it is the sound when our player jumps.

Thank you for your time doing this game!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:53 am
Aranya wrote
Steiger, I've just tryied your game, and I loved inmediatly. I really love graphics and atmosphere, it is amazing. I love the way our character hits, wonderful. I've read last topics and I've realized that there is another version(fix3), I tryied the first one and was impossible to continue because of a big fail. I will download the last one and try it again.

There is only one thing that I don't like it, and it is the sound when our player jumps.

Thank you for your time doing this game!

That's awesome to hear. What I know now, there are some language misspelling, but I will correct them to finished version. Also you know that but let me know here with screenshot if you find something that could be improved :)
Hidden map
Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:24 pm
Great hack - I didn't realize how much there was to this game until I pressed the Pause button to see the map. Very forgiving on number of attempts before finally getting Game Over which helped a lot esp. for some of the tougher jumps..!!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!