Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Coleco games on a SMS........

Reply to topic
arsdigita
Coleco games on a SMS........
Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 7:09 am
I read that a Colecovision adapter was planned for the SMS. Could a homebrew version be constructed? I'm a newbie in SMS dev, (but enthusiastic).

Any ideas from the gurus out there?

I'm thinking it couldn't be done software only, but perhaps a piggy-back cart....

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 8:57 am
> I read that a Colecovision adapter was planned for the SMS. Could a homebrew version be constructed? I'm a newbie in SMS dev, (but enthusiastic).
> Any ideas from the gurus out there?
> I'm thinking it couldn't be done software only, but perhaps a piggy-back cart....

It is very possible, but definitively not by software only.

A cartridge containing the 8kb Colecovision BIOS, with a mapper redirecting memory and port to their SMS (actually SG-1000) equivalent, and allowign to plug Colecovision cartridges is faisable.
Then there's the problem of supporting inputs, since Colecovision keypad has 12 keys.
Rob
Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 5:22 am
> > I read that a Colecovision adapter was planned for the SMS. Could a homebrew version be constructed? I'm a newbie in SMS dev, (but enthusiastic).
> > Any ideas from the gurus out there?
> > I'm thinking it couldn't be done software only, but perhaps a piggy-back cart....

> It is very possible, but definitively not by software only.

> A cartridge containing the 8kb Colecovision BIOS, with a mapper redirecting memory and port to their SMS (actually SG-1000) equivalent, and allowign to plug Colecovision cartridges is faisable.
> Then there's the problem of supporting inputs, since Colecovision keypad has 12 keys.

If the Coleco Bios is used, then theoretically, would a Coleco controller do?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 7:57 am
>> A cartridge containing the 8kb Colecovision BIOS, with a mapper redirecting memory and port to their SMS (actually SG-1000) equivalent, and allowign to plug Colecovision cartridges is faisable.
>> Then there's the problem of supporting inputs, since Colecovision keypad has 12 keys.
> If the Coleco Bios is used, then theoretically, would a Coleco controller do?

Does it plug into the same kind of port ? I have no idea, never owned a real Coleco :(

I'm unsure however how to handle the 'multiplexed' inputs ports. You have to play with port $3F, but I don't know how it works on the hardware side. The cartridge would have to convert (trap & redirect) write to ports betwen $80 and $FF on the coleco to a right equivalent on SMS port $3F, then it may be possible.
Genki
Very possible and maybe easy too.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:17 pm
It's very festiable to do this. THere exists a system that plays both CV and SMS games. Specifically the SG-1000 and SC-3000 and not SMS games.

If Dina system can do both, and most SMS system can operate in classic SG-1000 mode than it's very likely to be an easy solution to bild a CV adapter.

I do not have a Dina system so I can't reverse engineer the system and see how the system handles the controller ports as there's only 1 set, not 2 separate CV only and Sega only.

An adapter that connects to CV cart, contains the CV cart, a mean of putting the SMS into SC-3000 mode or SG-1000 mode (not sure which) and I believe no additional hardware is needed for the CV controller. Fortunately the CV controller uses the same 9 pin connector as Sega controller and the fire and directional are the same as SMS controller. It remains to be seen if the SMS can correctly interprent the multiplexed input from the number pad.

I have 4 or 5 CV systems that I can blow up ;-) and I'd rather blow them because the CV systems are really badly designed. The controller port blows out real easy, the video RAM can fail faster than you can curse, and it's monsterous brick sized power supply hogs as many as 4 plug outlets in apower strip. Plus shipping a CV system with the power supply is really expensive especially across the international borders. SO if anyone can figure out a few things I could hack apart my CV system for the bios chip and the cart port.

Genki
Another thing i forgot
Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:30 pm
> It's very festiable to do this. THere exists a system that plays both CV and SMS games. Specifically the SG-1000 and SC-3000 and not SMS games.

I forgot to mention the Dina system don't have the expansion port like the CV does. I don't know how it's wired but if it's like the Sega Master System's expansion port it's the same as cart port pin for pin and theorically you could use the expansion device using gender changer on CV adapter to play Atari 2600 games and Adam computer.

Now isn't that a verastile system or what?

(PS if this does get far and the CV bios dump is needed for future adapter, someone might want to tweak it to remove the references to expansion port for adapter that doesn't have the expansion port. If you power on the CV system with no cart or expansion device, you get a screen telling you to turn it off and insert the cartridge or expansion and turn it back on (not exact wording))

Rob
Re: Another thing i forgot
Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 11:43 pm
> > It's very festiable to do this. THere exists a system that plays both CV and SMS games. Specifically the SG-1000 and SC-3000 and not SMS games.

> I forgot to mention the Dina system don't have the expansion port like the CV does. I don't know how it's wired but if it's like the Sega Master System's expansion port it's the same as cart port pin for pin and theorically you could use the expansion device using gender changer on CV adapter to play Atari 2600 games and Adam computer.

> Now isn't that a verastile system or what?

> (PS if this does get far and the CV bios dump is needed for future adapter, someone might want to tweak it to remove the references to expansion port for adapter that doesn't have the expansion port. If you power on the CV system with no cart or expansion device, you get a screen telling you to turn it off and insert the cartridge or expansion and turn it back on (not exact wording))

Hey it'd be even cooler to do this on a gamegear!

Genki
Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:43 pm
> Hey it'd be even cooler to do this on a gamegear!

Yeah but then it wouldn't be portable! A GG with a bulky homebuilt CV adapter and sticking out of that is another bulky 2600 adapter and finally some weird cart like Starpath Supercharger. Beside you wouldn't be able to play most CV games with a GG since GG lacks the numberpad and lacks the controller port.

Rob
Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 5:23 pm
> > Hey it'd be even cooler to do this on a gamegear!

> Yeah but then it wouldn't be portable! A GG with a bulky homebuilt CV adapter and sticking out of that is another bulky 2600 adapter and finally some weird cart like Starpath Supercharger. Beside you wouldn't be able to play most CV games with a GG since GG lacks the numberpad and lacks the controller port.

It could take some work, but it could be scaled down quite a bit. The guy that made the VCSp went through hell to get his device as small as possible, and it worked! The controller prt can be worked around relatively easily using the link port or by building it onto your adapter. Get it to work on the SMS first, though :-)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:13 pm
arsdigita wrote
I read that a Colecovision adapter was planned for the SMS. Could a homebrew version be constructed? I'm a newbie in SMS dev, (but enthusiastic).

Any ideas from the gurus out there?

I'm thinking it couldn't be done software only, but perhaps a piggy-back cart....

Hello to all. I see you're discussing about ColecoVision to be played on the Master System. I am trying to create a ColecoVision loader for Master System. Hopefully I won't fail on it. :-)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:23 am
Stokes wrote

Hello to all. I see you're discussing about ColecoVision to be played on the Master System. I am trying to create a ColecoVision loader for Master System. Hopefully I won't fail on it. :-)

No kidding? Wow, that would be very interesting. Have you posted on AA about that? They've got the most active Coleco community going.

https://atariage.com/forums/forum/115-colecovision-adam/
Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:09 pm
Greg2600 wrote
Stokes wrote

No kidding? Wow, that would be very interesting. Have you posted on AA about that? They've got the most active Coleco community going.

I just created a forum post. https://atariage.com/forums/topic/304441-colecovision-for-the-master-system/
Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:10 pm
Greg2600 wrote
Stokes wrote

https://www.smspower.org/forums/9867-SG1000ToColecoVisionPorts#109796
A user has converted Gyruss to the SG-1000.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:12 pm
You could use the Colecovision roms that have been converted to MSX and try to convert them from MSX to SG-1000:

http://msxds.msxblue.com/other/Colecovision_Roms_for_MSX.zip
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:03 am
pcfreak324 wrote
You could use the Colecovision roms that have been converted to MSX and try to convert them from MSX to SG-1000:

I already have this zip file. I did try to do a conversion of GDX's conversion.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:45 pm
I've done a conversion of Q-Bert's Qubes for the SG-1000. It's glitched, but press down to go to level 1. Enjoy! :-)
Q-Bert's Qubes.zip (16.46 KB)

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:32 pm
Last edited by Stokes on Sun May 03, 2020 6:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
pcfreak324 wrote

Greg2600 wrote

I have created a type of ColecoVision emulator for the SG-1000 and SG-1000 II, this may also work on the Mark III or the Japanese Master System, controls don't really do anything except for the pause button, which might reset the Coleco game just like in MSX to SMS conversions. Speaking of it, I used the source from the 16kB version of Donkey Kong for Mission 2 and used source from Lady Bug for Mission 3 from the zip archive. I also used MSX2SMS source. Also GDX that created this zip archive has put my ColecoVision to MSX games inside to play, so enjoy that. And also the link: https://www.smspower.org/forums/17943-MissionForSG1000BasedOffOfMSXVersionByMarc...

This was based off of Mission for MSX by Marcel De Kogel.

Enjoy! :-)
Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:45 pm
Rob wrote
> > It's very festiable to do this. THere exists a system that plays both CV and SMS games. Specifically the SG-1000 and SC-3000 and not SMS games.

> I forgot to mention the Dina system don't have the expansion port like the CV does. I don't know how it's wired but if it's like the Sega Master System's expansion port it's the same as cart port pin for pin and theorically you could use the expansion device using gender changer on CV adapter to play Atari 2600 games and Adam computer.

> Now isn't that a verastile system or what?

> (PS if this does get far and the CV bios dump is needed for future adapter, someone might want to tweak it to remove the references to expansion port for adapter that doesn't have the expansion port. If you power on the CV system with no cart or expansion device, you get a screen telling you to turn it off and insert the cartridge or expansion and turn it back on (not exact wording))

Hey it'd be even cooler to do this on a gamegear!

Talk to bsittler! :-)
Or even talk to me because I know how to put SG-1000 to Game Gear.
Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:24 pm
pcfreak324 wrote

I'm trying to create another version of Mission using one of GDX's conversions. It might not work, but I'll try.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:00 am
I know I tried to create an emulator for the SMS, but there are new games being processed here.
https://www.smspower.org/forums/9867-SG1000ToColecoVisionPorts?start=50
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!