Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Cover art tutorial?

Reply to topic
Master system cover photoshop
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:36 am
Hello, is there any tutorial on how to design master system covers with photoshop?

Thank you
Post Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:58 pm
I made a custom import case for WoodyPop because the Japanese cardboard box is too fragile.

I didn't make a template and it's kinda 1/2 ass, but I wanted a "proof of concept". I just found an image of Teddy Boys case and edited it. I had to take a pic of the Mark III card because I couldn't find a good image of it online.
20200305_125637.jpg (3.57 MB)
20200305_125637.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:30 pm
Ideally you'd do the vector art in something like Illustrator and the rest of the box graphics (text, screenshots with borders etc.) in InDesign.

I can see where you're coming from, though, as Photoshop is quite user friendly. So, here's a few tips if you really want to do them in Photoshop. I'd create a new document in the dimensions of the sleeve (make sure to set the file resolution to 300ppi/dpi), CMYK for print or RGB for a digital only file. I reckon you're going to print it eventually, so pick CMYK.

Next construct the grid out of thin rectangles (you could use lines, but rectangles are more versatile and will produce less clutter. Make to turn on guides (under View->Show) so you'll get equal spacing between your rectangles. Group them in a folder. Make a new layer for the text. Find the used font (I'm not sure what it is, but I'm sure info be can be found around here. Make sure to use the right 'leading' and 'kerning' (space between lines of text and space between the individual letters).

Create another folder for the screenshots. Import the screenshots (open them and drag them to your stage/artboard) and you could either add a black rectangle as border (make sure the layer of the rectangle is below the layer of the screenshot) or give the images file of the screen a border by going to Layer->Layer Style->Stroke (outside). If you want to scale them (down! best not scale them up in Photoshop) make sure they keep their original dimensions. This is done automatically in the latest editions of Photoshop, but hold shift in older versions. Add the cover art, SEGA logo's etc. in the same way. If you want to add a barcode you could use something like Barcode Studio (there's a web version too).

If you want to create the genre tag on the top left ('ARCADE', 'ACTION' etc.) it's best to use the pen tool. Find an existing box art (preferably of high resolution/large dimensions) and open it in photoshop. Create a new layer a draw over the shape of the box art (like said, use the pen tool to create anchor points and follow the shape all the way around (your cursor will change to 'o' and you'll be able to close the shape. Right click and select 'fill path' (pick the right color). Drag the shape to your box art in progress. Scale down (or up) if needed with your selection tool. Make sure it keeps the same dimensions! (hold shift if needed).

Add a layer on top and add the text (Arcade/Action etc). If you want to rotate the textbox, type the text and change to your selection tool. Move your cursor to the top right of your text box (make sure you've ticked the box 'Show Transform controls'), the cursor will change. Hold your left mouse button and move your mouse to rotate the text. You could also use Edit->Transform->Rotate after you've selected your textbox. If you want to rotate the text counter-clockwise enter a negative value.

When you're ready to print make sure to use silk or matte photo paper (not glossy) of the right weight (150grams or so, I'm not sure what paper type is used for the original sleeves). If it's one sided photo paper make sure to print on the right side (obvious for glossy paper, less obvious for matte paper): it makes a world of difference.

The Photoshop basics can easily be learned via Youtube.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:22 am
Nice write up. Yea, Illustrator is definitely the way to go. I just dont have it (and am not good at it). I was going to measure the grid on a sample box and draw it out, I just got lazy and used the stamp tool a BUNCH. You can see how lines dont fully match up. The pic I used as my basis was flawed. The right way is to do what you're saying and redraw it all.

The only thing I'd want to scan/reuse is the hand from the card boxes. Mine came out very yellow, mostly due to my printer, but the art I based it off of wasnt great either.

What paper should it be printed it out on? Any idea of thickness, finish, etc?

----------------

I'm thinking of making boxes for the Mark III carts, too. A little Dremeling to a box and it'll fit. The instruciton manual is a bit loose in there though so you need to get a way to adapt it to work either with an insert to move the tabs lower or a sleeve that holds the instructions and fits in the boxes slots. For now, I just have it loose in there.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!