Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Great Ice Hockey (sports pad not set right?)

Reply to topic
Great Ice Hockey (sports pad not set right?)
Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:10 pm
Is it my imagination, or is the default US SMS Great Ice Hockey supposed to ONLY work with the Sorts Pad? (Sega's name for a Trackball)

I understand there is both a " joystick compatible mode" like on certain Atari 2600 trackballscwhich works with more games and accurately senses the direction, but not the speed of the ball) and a full analog mode.

I found these at a Garage Sale and it came with no instructions.

1. Can someone point me to US Sports Pad instructions?

2. It seems like in one mode the players don't move at all and in the other, the player physics look more like Great Mud Hockey than Great Ice Hockey. You whizz the ball real fast and they stop about 5 body heights down ice, while the ball is still zipping along. Is there a setting to get it right, have I received the Joystick version, or was it THAT broken of a game?

3. I tried EU Marble Madness, and it didn't seem to work in Analog Mode. It feels like I can accurately control direction, but speed felt binary, either stop or go. Does EU Marble Madness supposedly have Sports Pad Mode? If so, how does a US SMS Snail Msze only version deal with it.

Also I have a couple of issues. Knowing different forums have different courtesies, which of these 2 is ruder, and I'll do the other:

A. Posting many new topics but segregating them by subinterest.

B. Posting one long subject and risk bring all over the place organization wise with too much wrongly focused info?

Also is it ruder to make an old thread "wise fwom it's gwave" or to copy information searchable on old threads in the same website?

As I said, there is not one universal answer. It's a site-by-site code. I've been yelled at for doing the wrong one in both directions.

By the way, the 2 topics I want to get to besides sports pads are Fight Stick to work with SMS, and the other is the SCART adapter in Europe, and it's Japanese cousin. What marking separates these twins, and mistaking one for the other could blow your TV or system I heard. New topic, or Here?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:23 pm
Sports pads famously don’t move the player much for your ball rolling, I think this is because the ball slips and there have been attempts to fix this but I’m not sure there’s a good solution.

We like relevant thread necromancy. Multi subject threads can get painful if more than one thread takes off.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:31 am
Likely you already did this, but I found I had to match game region, console hardware region, and controller region. Even then it doesn't work very well, though
Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:16 am
Crazy how this was released outside of Japan in favour of the Paddle Controller. It really doesn't work. I've had 3 that just stop working after a while! If they had replicated a ball controller they used on Atari Arcade Games like Crystal Castles or Marble Madness I would have being saying bravo Sports Pad!!!

Sorry for replying to a thread, that is a repeat of a repeat!!!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!