Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - New to modding

Reply to topic
New to modding
Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:36 am
Hi. I'm new to the modding world and have started with recapping and installing screen upgrades on a few GG I got of eBay. I want to put HDMI out and two controllers but I cant seem to find the hardwear or instructions on how to do these modds. I'm super green but eager to learn. Dose anyone know where I could look to find a how to vid for these
Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:37 pm
The controller part of it isn't that hard to do, but the other mods you are talking about are pretty intense. The only way to get HDMI AFAIK is to install the mcwill first, then add a VGA to HDMI converter.
Of course if you're super new to this I wouldn't recommend starting with a $120+ screen add on.

Maybe try doing some Sega Genesis mods first or just doing the controller port?
Thanks for getting back to me
Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:09 pm
Thank you very much I really do appreciate you getting back to me. I got a screen upgrade not the mcwills. but I did get one from China and I was able to put it in quite easily. Parts literally came this morning LOL. I'm fairly confident in my ability to do these other technical upgrades. I know I am new to it but I am a pretty fast learner and I'm always willing to fail in order to eventually succeed. Any guidance you're willing to give would be greatly appreciated also any hardware suggestions. I'm really trying to make some of these for some of my buddies in our little gaming group. I'm a blacksmith by trade and soldering it so close to welding I picked it up really quick. I also got a nice set of soldering tweezers which made the screen install super easy. I have watched almost every video I could find on the screen install before I attempted.
Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:51 am
I have instructions on my website for installing a controller port into the GG. See the Uni Gen tab.

HDMI is a lot harder. You can buy cheap adapters on eBay, but you can't wire the ports in easily as any wires on the data lines will make it lose signal because it's highly susceptible to interference.

I'm glad you're getting into Hardware modding :) it's a great hobby.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!