SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Chinese Everdrive available

Reply to topic
Chinese Everdrive available
Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:07 am
Hi!
new cheap (25/30€) Master System everdrive released compatible with save function, SG-1000 games, ...

Video review available
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:18 am
Wow, it seems to be a complete clone including the software. Can you try the test ROM at https://www.smspower.org/forums/post106438#106438 to see what the maximum size is?
Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:40 am
Maxim wrote
Wow, it seems to be a complete clone including the software. Can you try the test ROM at https://www.smspower.org/forums/post106438#106438 to see what the maximum size is?

Tried to load it and ERROR: 0X30 appears on the screen :(
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:52 pm
I guess it's a 1MB limit then. Can you cut the ROM down to 1MB and try again? Also, https://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/PFRDetect-SMS (or Space Gun) see if it has the same bug about slot 0.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:24 pm
I had a couple of these arrive this week, been playing a few games over the weekend without a fuss.

I've just split the 4MB Rom to 1MB and it runs OK, Output image attached.

Also ran the PFRDetect again image attached.
IMG_4215.jpg (4.53 MB)
PFRDetect - Clone everdrive output
IMG_4215.jpg
IMG_4218.jpg (772.97 KB)
Test ROM cut to 1MB Output
IMG_4218.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 pm
so seems a total clone of the first Master Everdrive, including bugs.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:43 pm
Well, at least Everdrive specific hacks will work then...
Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:35 am
do we got any chance to reprogram the CPLD?
also, is the old everdrive firmware available somewhere? Now that he's no longer selling that product, Krikzz might release it for us to fix it...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:22 am
I suspect it's not trivial to reprogram the CPLD. Krikkz is sensible not to share his source so long as he wants to make money selling things, it's tough to compete with this price.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:57 pm
It's so sad that everything is eventually cloned. What's the motivation for developers to continue making this stuff, if we constantly promote and discuss the clones, thereby undercutting their sales?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:50 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Indeed - buy an authentic Everdrive to support people supporting us!

Is there any danger a clone might be more damaging electrically than the original (which itself lacks level shifters)?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:03 pm
as much as I hate clones, there's to say that this clones a product that's no longer sold (well of course I know it's sort of a competitor anyway) and that's been surpassed in features and technology, and that can't run homebrew games and demos that are over 1 MB of size [and we should release more of these games/demos ;)]
Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:43 pm
Edit 2: is it possible this is a clone of the newer "x" series? If so, disregard all I wrote below. Looking at the PCB pictures, it looks like it probably has level shifters near the edge connector and that's definitely a microSD slot, not full-sized SD

(original message)

This makes me sad. However I also wish a version of this older model were still available for sale — from some source that would actually support/benefit Krikzz!

The older one has the convenient ability to flash the software, remove the SD card, and then use the Everdrive as a dedicated cartridge for the flashed software until the you're ready to reboot it with the SD card reinserted and switch to a different program. I found this really useful when developing G2G pad2 hack (which runs in host control pad debugger mode as .gg from EverDrive GG, but in P2 controller mode as .SMS from EverDrive SMS) since I could easily move the microSD back and forth between the host GG and the P2 GG with Master Gear Converter, and otherwise just use the second game gear as a P2 controller without leaving an SD card in it. Likewise for SG2GG hack development, I could easily use this mode to test the hot-swap feature (SG-1000 palette set-up and hand-off to an actual SG-1000 cartridge hot-swapped using an SG-1000 to SMS cartridge adapter) without tying up an extra SD card — also the booting is actually faster this way :)

At least in earlyish firmware the newer x7 had some hardware incompatibilities with Japanese SMS MK-3000 models, but the older generation Everdrive worked

Also I don't know whether it's just a bug in my hack, but my SG2GG (and Sega mapper) hack of The Castle (SG-1000) works using the earlier generation of Everdrive but not the x7

Edit: am I misremembering? I thought older Master Everdrive used full-sized SD cards, but I just watched this video and it seems like this one uses microSD. I wish Krikzz would sell an equivalent one!
Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:37 pm
'old' model had an SD card, I have one.

I'm wondering if there's any chance that this clone has been in some way 'licensed' by Krikzz? There are some of his products that are in fact so, if I understand correctly. (But likely this one is not)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 pm
I have not, nor will I ever buy one of these knock-offs. The scant savings is not worth screwing over the license holder. Particularly if you want to see future development.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:55 pm
It is in fact based on the older pre-"X" EverDrive, but modified to use MicroSD and with a pirate/vandalized copy of Krikkz's OS 9 with the original branding replaced by "KY" 😣. Games are written to flash rather than RAM, so they can still be played after power-cycle provided the MicroSD is removed. It also came with pirated games on the MicroSD card, unfortunately.

Given the vandalism+piracy I think it can't be officially licensed, so I regret the purchase. As penance I've ordered the new GG EverDrive X7 and formatted the card. The OS files were not present on the card, BTW.

Also unlike the older-generation Master EverDrive I purchased from Krikzz, this one comes in an SMS cartridge shell. I'm not 100% certain, but the fresh appearance of the inner and outer sides of the cartridge shell suggest it's a recent injection molding rather than a recycled old one
Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:02 am
so turns out the only legit part is the plastic shell.

well, we might investigate where they sourced it, and if we may buy some of them (only the shells I mean!)
Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:04 am
Few times i post my opinion in this forum at last years.
The opinions about this product are EU/USA opinions.
I am against piracy but considering some questions:

1 - The Krizz everdrive not is sold in Brazil. You only can buy via re-sellers which put a absurd profit in price or order it via site with post taxes that are impracticable.

2 - If you ask a friend to buy this product in US or EU. He will need find the correct store. Anyway he will verify if the everdrive is disponible.

3 - The currency!!! Actually 1 USD = 4,5 BRR or 1 Euro = 5 BRR.
A simple 70 $ everdrive will cost 315 reais or more in Euro.
In Stone Age Gamer will cost ~580 Reais!!!!
https://stoneagegamer.com/flash/master-system/
While a chinese everdrive will cost ~165 Reais.
I not will buy the Chinese everdrive because is a Krizz everdrive equivalent with db-eletronics recommendation moderate.
So i will wait for a revision.
Revo
Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:12 am
There is 2 different clone of everdrive available for Master System on the Chinese market. One using micro SD, and the other regular SD. The price is around 30$ US by unit.

Revo
Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:36 pm
Comparative video (in French):

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:09 pm
RetroRGB wrote
It's so sad that everything is eventually cloned. What's the motivation for developers to continue making this stuff, if we constantly promote and discuss the clones, thereby undercutting their sales?

+1000

chinese copy everything. One of my arcade products has been cloned. I had made the JED file for the PAL available (which was the only part in the design that could be protected, not that it would have been difficult to crack though) in case someone needed to burn a fresh one and the next month a clone was available in china...
It made me smile cause we sold maybe 50 units, with a total profit less than $1500. I guess that's still a lot of money over there making it worth the effort.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:07 pm
Well, my chinese everdrive arrived. Im happy in run my roms in original hardware. Im aware that codemasters roms dont will run on it but i dont knew that Asterix the great rescue not run. Im suffering with MSX/Korean games. In applying the patch from @bsittler dont worked with Gradius 2 neither F1 Spirit (error 0x30). Jang Pung III worked fine. I dont have a 2nd controller and dont have a original SMS controller, so im sufering like as pig with my MD 6 button controller. IMHO GGtoSMS hacks could have more MD pad patches considering that is very easy find any. The Wonderboy Dragon´s Trap hack for MD pad dont worked even i press "mode" button but the SRAM save is great! Im sad because Be No SQR demo dont run in my SMS 1.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!