SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Flight of Pigarus - limited physical edition

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:00 am
Kagesan wrote
Rezer wrote
However in this case it was such a limited number.

It was simply the number I could hope to process in a reasonable time frame. Sourcing donor cart shells, boxes, and printed materials was a time-consuming task, as was assembling the packages, spray painting the shells, and finally sending out the finished products.

I did this limited run for fun, and I didn't turn a profit on it, and that's not even counting the hours I poured into production (let alone creating the game in the first place).

That said, as long as they don't do it commercially, I don't mind if people make their own physical copies. That's what I created the box art, manual and sticker for after all.

I'm currently in talks with a publisher who has shown interest in the game. So there may be another (bigger) run of 'official' physical editions on the horizon, but I don't want to promise anything just now.

Thanks for saying all of this, and for the limited run that you did did.

As someone who manufactures small run retro PCBs, I can tell you that most people have no idea how much time, work, and expense goes into these projects and how very little (if any) actual profit is made. It surprised me when I started getting into the business of it, too.

Most all of our electronics that we get on Amazon, Walmart, etc. are not made by a small community of video game lovers of course. they are mass-produced in sweatshops overseas with poor labor practices and extremely low pay of usually only a few cents an hour. This has kept the prices of electronics extremely low, and it is very understandable that it also affects our expectations for how much things cost.

To do a small run of ethical homemade PCBs is a really different story though. Prices start to come down when you order parts in the x 1000s. ICs and other parts are 2x-5x+ more when you order <100. So the small batch of games that was developed here was easily produced at a loss.

Add on the custom stickers, printing, label cutting, plastic cases, customer service emails, etc and you have a very labor-intensive product here.

I never got a copy myself, but I think it's really great that you did it. Thanks for making the sacrifice for the community!
Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:45 am
Just the possibility of a new run of this game is so awesome! Please, if that ever happens, please *do not forget to contact me!* I will happily buy a copy from you!

All the best!

Kagesan wrote
Rezer wrote
However in this case it was such a limited number.

It was simply the number I could hope to process in a reasonable time frame. Sourcing donor cart shells, boxes, and printed materials was a time-consuming task, as was assembling the packages, spray painting the shells, and finally sending out the finished products.

I did this limited run for fun, and I didn't turn a profit on it, and that's not even counting the hours I poured into production (let alone creating the game in the first place).

That said, as long as they don't do it commercially, I don't mind if people make their own physical copies. That's what I created the box art, manual and sticker for after all.

I'm currently in talks with a publisher who has shown interest in the game. So there may be another (bigger) run of 'official' physical editions on the horizon, but I don't want to promise anything just now.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:22 am
YES YES YES!!! more copies of your game.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!