Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Mark III Telecon (was: Rare Sega collectible?)

Reply to topic
Mark III Telecon (was: Rare Sega collectible?)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:01 pm
I found this on Ebay. Could you find out what it is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sega-MARK-III-TELECON-PACK-COLLECTORS-ITEM-JAPAN/17...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:58 pm
It's a device to send the RF signal wirelessly to a TV (with indoor antenna). You will need a Mark III and a Japanese TV from the 80s to use it, and it is probably illegal to do so depending on where you live.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:55 am
I'm sure I read many years ago of a Famiclone with that same idea. I believe the Atari 2600 developers also had that idea (wasn't one of like five or so prototype consoles found a few years ago)? Or maybe the Atari console was only meant to have wireless connection for the controllers, not the AV.

But as was said, the use of such a device would have to be strictly regulated per country to have such a short range as to only transmit to the user's TV and not all their neighbors' TVs as well. :P (with the lack of analog transmission it is maybe less likely to cause noticeable interference but probably still illegal to use)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:56 am
There's a Brazilian SMS variant that does the same thing, except in a kind of screenless Game Gear form factor. In many countries, "unlicensed" transmissions in non-public bands are quite a big deal because they cause interference to potentially important things like police and military communications. Analogue TV bands are typically being repurposed as mobile phone 4G/5G channels and thus are likely to get you into trouble for commercial reasons.

The Telecon at least tries to have a directional antenna to avoid broadcasting in all directions.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!