Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - (Disney's) Aladdin (Master System)

Reply to topic

Rate this game

★☆☆☆☆ 0% 0%
★★☆☆☆ 5% 5%
★★★☆☆ 35% 35%
★★★★☆ 35% 35%
★★★★★ 25% 25%
(Disney's) Aladdin (Master System)
Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:47 am
This topic contains reviews of (Disney's) Aladdin.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:50 am
Originally published at www.smspower.org/maxim/MiniReview-Aladdin

Hooray, a Disney movie licence videogame! Well, the Mega Drive version was well received...

Graphics

Heavy outlining seems to want to reinforce the cartoon nature of the movie, but it comes across a bit oddly (especially the white outlines on bats in the cave stages). The backdrops, in contrast, are all in unoutlined pastel shades (except the gaudy treasure and lava stages). The first few stages’ fake 3D is rather nice - not too obtrusive but it actually works well.

Sound

Somewhat bland mixture of original tunes and arrangements of songs from the movie.

Longevity

While there is variety, there’s really nothing that makes you want to replay any part of the game.

Plot

Mostly in line with the movie, but it’s weighed down by quite a lot of exposition screens that render the text a little too slowly.

Fun

Mostly lacking in the fun department, I’m afraid. Aladdin doesn’t feel very controlled, and the collision detection is decidedly iffy. The range of moves available is interesting but they’re not used enough in the game - for example, there’s one point in the cave level where you have to learn how to run, then how to slide, and then you never need that ability ever again. And it’s not even particularly discoverable.

Innovation

The 3D effects are nicely done, although the levels with that are in fact rather flat. The Prince of Persia style parts fail to live up to their inspiration.

Conclusion

★★☆☆☆
Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:40 pm
As a kid I had this and I remember that I finished this right on first day of purchase. Its so damn easy!
Graphics are nice and all , presentation is great , music is great but i finished it in one day. It was disappointing because back in the days games were very expensive , and they still are lol , so after doing your parents heads to finally get a game , this was really disapointing. Its a good game tho , it's colourful like most Disney games , but its really easy to finish.

Maxim pointed the 3d effects and paralax scrolling and they are seriously good , it's very impressive for the system but levelwise I agree the game it's a bit flat and there's lots of cut scenes too which you can't skip I think.
Wish I had Prince of Persia back in the days instead of this because the cave levels that's what it remembered me of.
Aladdin - Review
Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:35 pm
Disney's Aladdin was my first movie that I saw at the cinema, so this game has a sentimental value to me. The audiovisual quality of this cartridge is superb, like the rest of Disney's Master System games. The 8-bit graphics for the city of Agrabah and the 8-bit rendition of the hit song "A whole new world" can bring you nothing more but smile. The story follows the plot of the movie, so the presence of the antagonist and the suspense moments are very well placed. The adaptation to the Sega Master System has kept all the original elements of the movie, but it lacked to create a challenging game. Unfortunately the game is rather small and you can complete in about an hour. If nowadays there was a digital platform like Steam for new Master System games, Aladdin could fit perfectly in this frenzy pace of incoming products. Back in the days you could play a video game at least a week. Although Aladdin for the Master System doesn't disappoint after all these years, but rather entertain you like a timeless fairytale.

I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.
Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:00 am
I was expecting a pared down Mega Drive game but this is totally different to that version, I'd say even more different than Sonic 1 on MD vs SMS. Basically it's a platformer which pinches the climbing, jumping and sneaking from Prince of Persia which couldn't be more perfect given the subject matter. There are platforming sections and chase sections... the game starts off with a chase section as you steal bread from the market - what ensues is some very impressive parallax scrolling! Then on the second level you are doing the PoP climing and jumping, some long jumps to do, running, sliding etc. etc as you progress through the game.

The game sticks very very closely to the events of the film, and despite that this is an SMS game... there are extensive custsences and dialogue lifted right from the film... and most impressively, the cutsences are done 'in engine' ( you know what I mean but it's probably not the right phrase) and it's quite seamless.

The platforming sections are quite basic but standard stuff for the time, stuff falls as you approach, you should dodge accordingly. Playing this game I get the feeling that they wanted you to complete it... the manual specifically says that there's infinte continues; you'll need them until you learn the game. I died a lot but you learn and move on.

Overall this is very good use of the licence, throwing a bit of Prince of Persia in for good measure. Yes it has basic platforming but this is to be expected from a film lisence at the time. I played this through tonight, took me about 40-50 mins but once you know what you are doing, this could be done in a LOT less time. Given the PoP mechanics and timing based gameplay, I bet this is a good one to speed run.

It struck me that this game has two things that we take for granted these days... no set number of lives... and 'in engine' cutsences!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!