Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Alex Kidd in Pico World

Reply to topic
Alex Kidd in Pico World
Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:23 pm
Hello folks! I do not know if this has mentioned here before, but someone has demade our favourite Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the fantasy console Pico-8. Search "Alex Kidd in Pico World" to find it, as I can not post links yet!
Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am
...And here is the link: https://domarius-games.itch.io/alex-kidd-in-pico-world
Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:57 pm
Estelios wrote
...And here is the link: https://domarius-games.itch.io/alex-kidd-in-pico-world

Hey man, I just saw this :) I'm glad you like it!

Hope people play it and let me know what they think. I think I captured the essence of the game from start to end at a high level, and only culled out things you might not miss...

This was necessary to make it fit in the limitations of Pico 8 file sizes. An interesting challenge...
Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:09 am
Domarius wrote
Hope people play it and let me know what they think.

I only recently saw this, and it was my pleasure to try it out.

It's very cool!

My only real complaint is about the Pico 8 itself. There's only 2 buttons for its virtual controller, so for Alex Kidd in Pico World that meant using them for punch and pause. Jump is up, and that feels mighty weird...

While it would be much less intuitive, I would humbly suggest a combination like UP + PUNCH for pause, so jump could have a dedicated button.

(Another minor complaint is that you can play directly with the browser but you can only rebind the buttons to a controller if you own the Pico 8 application. Of course Joytokey or a similar program do the trick.)

In any case, great work Domarius!
And thank you very much for this.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:44 pm
Glad you found the way here on the forum Domarius!!
Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:04 am
Jair wrote
My only real complaint is about the Pico 8 itself. There's only 2 buttons for its virtual controller, so for Alex Kidd in Pico World that meant using them for punch and pause. Jump is up, and that feels mighty weird...

While it would be much less intuitive, I would humbly suggest a combination like UP + PUNCH for pause, so jump could have a dedicated button.

I totally agree, I played it again just recently (so probably a year after I worked on it last) and immediately I came to the same conclusion as you after playing it again - no doubt it's one of those things when you're working on it too long, you don't realise obvious things like this because you're used to it. It didn't get the rigorous user testing that a bigger game would have...

I might update it to do this.

(Another minor complaint is that you can play directly with the browser but you can only rebind the buttons to a controller if you own the Pico 8 application. Of course Joytokey or a similar program do the trick.)

Yes I was also thinking I could release a stand alone version that you can play through Steam or something. I had a quick look on Steam and just discovered Alex Kidd DX is being released in 2021! I'm going to get in touch with them to see what they think about me releasing it, for free...

Estelios wrote
Glad you found the way here on the forum Domarius!!

Very glad to be here :)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!