Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Controller Button 1 Issue

Reply to topic
Controller Button 1 Issue
Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:23 am
I'm new here, but I'm hoping sometime can lead me in the right direction. I'm trying to get my original Master System working properly for my son. It's in like new condition except for button 1 doesn't register on the port 1 controller. (Up was not registering either at first but seems to be working now). It's strange, the input does not register with either an original controller or a known good Genesis controller in any game. The button presses on the controller register when checked with a multimeter and for good measure I took the controller apart and cleaned the contacts, and also checked the conductor pads. I took the system apart and checked continuity between the port pins and the board and they're good everywhere I could trace. Manually jumping the ground pin 8 to the button 1 pin 6 on the console will trigger the button 1 input every time, but a controller will not trigger it. Anyone have any ideas?
Controller Button 1 Issue
Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:07 am
Manually jumping the ground pin 8 to the button 1 pin 6 on the console will trigger the button 1 input every time, but a controller will not trigger it.

That would imply that the console is working OK but there's a contact problem between the controller port and the controller.

Try cleaning the pins on the controller port with a solvent like electrical contact cleaner or alcohol and a cotton tip and/or a folder piece of paper that can get in and around the pins on the controller port.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:12 am
I did clean them with alcohol, but perhaps not well enough. It was hard to get anything in and around them. I think I will get something a little more serious and try again. I like the folded paper idea, thanks. As old as it is, maybe the pins have a layer of oxidation on them or something.
Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:46 am
The other thing to look for is bad solder connections on the socket pins on the pcb. Ive seen and had issues with that in the past.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!