Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Upcoming game: Silver valley

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Thanks a lot for the cover
Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:57 pm
Thank you Releasethedogs for creating this cover for Silver Valley that really looks beautiful and smells like Master System and share it. When an artist makes a creation and designs something, it is something of his own and inspired by what was done for the Master System and he may like it more or less, but from my point of view the artist has to create freely and do what he wants or likes; and that does not take away from opinions or constructive suggestions.
The fact of taking a time to do it and share it already says a lot about you and for that reason I encourage you to continue like this and for that reason I invite you to do a complete cover, not only the front one but with all its parts and see what images you choose and you make a cover of master system with your style for this great game of Silver Valley, I will love to see it.
There goes my opinion that I hope you understand as contructive and there are 2 things that call my attention to your cover. The first is the main character who sees your drawing seems older and shorter than the character of the game and the second is the girl who draws thin and in the game appears as a much more voluptuous woman with large breasts and lips.
Thank you again for your cover and read me I do not know how I manage them but the posts always come out long.
Regards
I think your lady is more atractive than the other ;)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:28 am
The girl of the Game is a more obscure character. It was an adult joke (if you have found the secret hub and the end of the game)

But doesnt Matter. What i like the most is the sense of Action and Adventure of the image. This is What i wanted to transmit. An rpg with Action or an Action Game with story. Something like golvellius or ys3.
Just finished it!
Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:41 pm
After a few days a was able to finish it. It's a good game and like the music.

I didn't find the song that is stuck in my head so I guess it was not from your game after all. Did you make a vgs of your soundtrack? I don't remember seeing it in the thread.

The stage select was a game changer. I don't have time to play from the beginning anymore (can only play a few minutes here and there) so to be able to select the level instead of using a game state felt less like cheating. Didn't skip any stage until finish them.

There is a few place I found hard, mostly some jump that felt difficult in the robot stage. That is maybe the only part that make me curse once in a while where it felt that a few milliliter was missing to accomplish the jump.

Good job! It's an inspiring game.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:53 pm
Thanks for your comments.

I put the stage selector when the Game began to grow and changed the compression to zx7. Wanted to get to 2mb ROM and the story parts were getting their site (on september There was no story, only ideas whithout concatenatenation)
Though on sram saves but i found convenient the possibility of Jump along the game, mainly for testing purposes.

Glad you enjoyed It. This is for What i did it. Will try to do better Next time!
Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:41 pm
This game looks fantastic, I check the board every day to see if there's any news about a cart release!
Post Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:49 pm
Oh my god, just found about this game and WOW! It's really great!

There's a few kind-of-big problems that make it not feel like a final version, though:

-The buttons are inverted. The closest button to the thumb should do the jumping.
-Options menu hangs the console, at least when playing on a Mega Drive.
-This game really needs a password displayed in the Game Over screen. A fixed string of 4-letter words would suffice, if the game doesn't keep track of stuff.

Those things are keeping me from playing it from beginning to end, but I really am looking forward to doing it. Keep up the great work!

EDIT: Also, it would be nice to be able to trigger the Pause function with the Start button when using SEGA's 3 and 6 button controllers.

EDIT 2:
I've noticed this as well while playing today:
Kagesan wrote
@eruiz00: Have you considered teaming up with a dedicated artist to create new assets for your game(s) from scratch? Don't get me wrong, it looks fine, even though the different visual styles clash a bit, but I feel that a project as ambitious as this doesn't live up to it's full potential if it relies so heavily on borrowed art.

The art direction seems to be touching too many places that clash when put together: realistic, chibi anime, cartoony and some assets that may be instantly recognizable to some of us. Please consider asking somebody for help with a graphic overhaul.

Please note that I think that this whole game feels very professional regardless, I just think it can still be improved in the graphics department so that it can have its own identity, more on par with the game's sound, gameplay and level design.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 am
Great work! I look forward to an eventual cart release, so I can put it amongst my other SMS classics!

The SMS will never die!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:03 am
this looks so good! putting this on my SMS everdrive tonight, can't wait to give it a spin...thanks for this!
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:04 am
IrishNinja wrote
this looks so good! putting this on my SMS everdrive tonight, can't wait to give it a spin...thanks for this!
Please check if the options menu works for you, so that we can know if it's a Mega Drive-exclusive bug..
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:09 am
It could be a Génesis bug? Maybe someone can try astroforce in genesis, as It suffer the same bug on some emulators (controls locked un options screen). Its strange, fails even with both compilers (z88dk and sdcc)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:17 am
did you by chance write to port 3F? This could create problems reading inputs.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:19 am
How do you check for key presses there?
On Genesis bit 13 will be 1 whereas on SMS it will be 0.

@Sverx you might want to mask that bit out from the keystatus variable to avoid these incompatibilities.
It's the unused bit 5 of the 2nd io port. It is always 1 on SMS and GG whereas it is 0 on Genesis.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 am
@Calindro: you mean he's not &-ing the variable against the bit mask?
He should! (but yes, I will consider masking that bit out for good...)

(edit) - @eruiz: if you want to test using == instead of &-ing you can read input into an unsigned char instead of an unsigned int. It will work perfectly, as long as your game is strictly one-player-only.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:46 pm
This night will try. If fix this' Will upload both astroforce and silvervalley versions
Post Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:16 pm
Ummm i understand. Changed in jukeboxstage the line:

If(keystatus==0)jukeboxcheckkey=1;

To

If(keystatus&0xff==0)jukeboxcheckkey=1;

Keystatus is an insigned int.

That should Fix the things (have to try It in an android "sms" emulator which does not seems to be that!).

Also have to try some fixes done in last weeks, in some days Will upload the new ROM.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:52 am
if you want to check that there's no button down on first player's pad, you should either:
- declare keystatus as unsigned char
(you will avoid this problem completely this way)
or
- cast keystatus as unsigned char when comparing, as in
if((unsigned char)(keystatus)==0) jukeboxcheckkey=1;

which may result in better code generated (or same, but no worse).
Post Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:04 am
I’m little late to the party, but I must chime in with more praise for this game. Very solid gameplay, and a really tremendous amount of content here! Great work. Also the level select feature works well for me. Like banshaku said, it is a nice to be able to explore different levels even though I’m only ‘snack-playing’ (is this a word?) from time to time. I like the button layout. I interpret it as a homage to the original Alex Kidd style... Sega mascots do not jump like Ni****do mascots :)

And really great music too!
Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:02 pm
I've noticed some little Engrish there:

WE HAD TO LEFT OUR MANSION

Should be:
WE HAD TO LEAVE OUR MANSION

IT SMELL LIKE FRESH MEAT

Should be:
IT SMELLS LIKE FRESH MEAT

Also, I'm not entirely sure of what this is supposed to mean...
IT SMELL LIKE FRESH MEAT
OH GOOD IT IS ME

So there may be some wrong choice of words there.

hang-on wrote
Also the level select feature works well for me.
You mean, on real hardware?
Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:32 pm
Lets see....

This versión should have the options screen working Well on Génesis (please test and feedback) also gas fixed some of the the engrish troubles reported.

I am working on new project and have fixed some errors on the (same) engine, so please wait to the final Fix versión. This is only for testing controls on Génesis.

Regards

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 am
eruiz00 wrote
Lets see....

This versión should have the options screen working Well on Génesis (please test and feedback) also gas fixed some of the the engrish troubles reported.

I am working on new project and have fixed some errors on the (same) engine, so please wait to the final Fix versión. This is only for testing controls on Génesis.

Regards

First, thank you for making such a great game! It's already in my top favorites for the Master System.

I tried this version on both a real Genesis, and Retron 5. The menu doesn't freeze anymore, but you cannot change the stock 03 to anything else. Scene, Music, Credits, and Init game all work fine though.

It seems like the controls feel more responsive in this version... however, they should be reversed. Attack should be 1, Jump should be 2. Maybe it could just be something that could be added to the options?

When hit, you cannot pick up hearts while flickering. Also, in the flying and boat stages, hearts just drop straight down... making them impossible to pick up. Can that be fixed so that they float, or fall slowly to the ground?

The English is still written in a confusing way (I'd be happy to help with that if needed) but that can be fixed.

For the shooter stages, it would be more fun if your character could shoot as well. It's a little weird to only have a slash while flying in the air.

Other than those nitpicks, it's great!
Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:34 am
releasethedogs wrote
I made a thing. Enjoy!

This is great. Hope that you or the OP don't mind that I put together a complete cover with a basic summary.
Silver Valley.png (1.19 MB)
Silver Valley.png

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:35 pm
It is great!

... but you should replace image from scene 19… as It is from the old grahics version' and not from the final release.

Good work anyways. Son we Will have also the book (as one kind Guy is doing It).
Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:17 pm
eruiz00 wrote
It is great!

... but you should replace image from scene 19… as It is from the old grahics version' and not from the final release.

Good work anyways. Son we Will have also the book (as one kind Guy is doing It).

Simple enough fix. I hadn't made a screenshot from that scenario, but I went ahead and used a screenshot that I had made prior.

Here is the updated version.
Silver Valley.png (1.17 MB)
Silver Valley.png

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:39 pm
Hey eruiz, nice work on this so far! I played through it in emulation just now and was very impressed overall. Controls are good, level variation and graphics+sound are very nice as well and some bosses are well designed too. The length is about right, definitely shouldn't be longer unless you change the structure to something like Kenseiden or Castlevania 3.

I believe I've found some bugs though and I will comment on each part that I thought could be improved from a design perspective, hope you don't mind.

There is a bug making it impossible for these enemies to move into the player if you crouch.

I found this part very long and hard for being so early in the game.

This boss is very easy since you can just attack until it's cornered.

In these parts if you stay near the top most of the segment is too easy, with only occasional danger.

This is minor but you can't get hit if you crouch in front of this boss during this attack.

In this part the fireballs disappear when jumping the platforms, which seems unintended.

This attack is completely unthreatening.

It's very easy to despawn the enemies above the ladder here, intentionally or by accident.

I found it odd how there's an invisible block here and how you can attack the cross and see an explosion when you do.

Bug: In this part and an earlier town, you can despawn one of the NPCs by moving left and talking to another NPC.

I found this part annoying since the skeleton changes position when you jump, causing a cheap hit into the lava.

Another very tough segment compared to before and after it because of the constantly spawning enemies and boulders.

There's a safe spot to the left of this boss. Maybe make it turn around if you go there?

This boss is also quite easy if you just stay in this spot most of the time and this attack shown is as ineffective as the red wizard boss's attack.

This jump is quite frustrating, being almost pixel perfect. But it is late in the game.

Another boss that is too easy - you can just jump attack him over and over in the middle of the screen. If you vary his jump height sometimes or how the blocks fall it would be a good boss.

Besides these points, I think it would be nice to have either some alternate weapon or move to use (an upward or downward attack would be useful), and some kind of upgrade to your sword or to the lifebar perhaps.The game is quite long and after a while the combat starts feeling basic compared to some games like Kenseiden or Master of Darkness.

Speaking of the lifebar, I think you should be able to pick up hearts during invincibility time as they can be very tricky to get when you need them most (in several parts they can fall off screen or into spikes or lava). I also found dying to spikes during invincibility time too harsh, but others may disagree.

Finally, I noticed some enemies seem ripped or heavily based on some sprites from Castlevania 1 or 3, and Journey to Silius? If so then you should probably redraw them more as the similarity is too close still. Anyway, good luck with the rest of the game!
Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:38 pm
Thanks for playing. Really.

I knew most of the Bugs yet. Some are Bugs, some a trouble of taste. There are an engine bug related to enemies appearing or dissapearing. I am not planning to fix it as i am now involved on the new project, which Will fix these Sort of things as It features a new engine, more reliable.

Regards.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:58 am
I've been very busy for the past months and haven't had a chance to see Silver Valley's progress but downloaded it tonight. Really well done!

When I have a chance I will take a look at a disassembly and find out how the binary can be reduced to fit like last October's version of z88dk.
Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:04 pm
I see you have updated the port of smslib. I have using some of the new functions in the new project, mainly the multisprite routines.

Have to say that (maybe) the music functions have the error i found some months ago... i explain. If you play a psg song and set the attenuation (to 4, by example), all sounds you play while you play the music will produce random glitches and undesireable effects.

If you want, can send an example of the error.

Kind regards
Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:00 pm
eruiz00 wrote
Well.. i wanted to finish it today (tomorrow i travel for a week) but i had no time (only graphic updates, as i have only 200 bytes for code with z88dk with opt-code-size and 1kb free on banks) so, at least, i publish first images of next game: Silver Valley.

This time will have to kill a dragón, but that wont be easy....

64 stages, with an story driving the action, rpg like.

Several gameplay schemes, platforming, flying/shmupping, sailing...

Seven bosses

One minigame included

All my hard work and love for gaming put here.

Next week i will return.

Regards.

Your game looks amazing! I'd love to interview for my YouTube channel! ^^
Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:24 pm
Hello,

Has anyone ever tried to burn the game on an eprom?
Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:10 pm
No problem on my side (but i've slightly hacked the game to make a compilation... and i've played only 4 or 5 levels)
Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:39 am
I packed the game onto a module. Works flawlessly on the master system. :)

@avlon can i use the cover for myself and some friends?
Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:22 am
This game makes me smile. Well done, eruiz00!
Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:11 pm
I've noticed some hotlinking coming from a certain big site, so I'd advice to modify the link in order to save some bandwidth.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:31 pm
Played through some more of this today- it's a really great game!!
I really hope to see more improvements done to make it even better :) I LOVE the music and graphics and action-y gameplay.

I thought I would post my wish list, not to harp on the author who obviously worked very hard, but just as a working list for any improvements down the road:

1. Make it so that the game does not reset if you wait on the continue screen (I wanted to give my hands a break after playing and apparently if you wait on the continue screen for about 3 seconds you lose all your progress: ( )

2. Start or pause button support for a Sega Genesis controller would be really nice when playing on a flashcart on the Genesis / MD!

3. The translation is not good. I offered to help translate this game when it was still in production and that offer still stands. As a native English speaker there is an overwhelming amount of errors ( even compared to old 80s video game translations ) and misuses of grammar and vocabulary everywhere.

4. All of the people in the towns look exactly the same. It would be nice to have at least a palette swap of different colors :)

I could nitpick stuff, but I think those are the major things I've noticed so far. I'm really happy with the game overall, I think it's amazing!!!

eruiz00 wrote
Lets see....

Regards

The updated version from your post says it's a corrupted file (when opening with WinRAR)..

Anyway im gonna go play some more. This is really one of the best looking SMS games.
Great work!

-SSF
Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:47 pm
segasonicfan wrote

3. The translation is not good. I offered to help translate this game when it was still in production and that offer still stands. As a native English speaker there is an overwhelming amount of errors ( even compared to old 80s video game translations ) and misuses of grammar and vocabulary everywhere.

-SSF

Sorry you don't like the translation. I'm responsible for most of it; also a native English speaker. There are a number of limitations in the available character set and number of spaces for each line that factored into all my decisions. I don't think your characterization of it is accurate but perhaps that provides a bit of context.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:24 pm
Is the soundtrack available anywhere in full for listening? :)
Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:54 pm
I'm responsible for most of it; also a native English speaker.

I really dont want to be mean here, especially if you worked hard on it. I just find this hard to believe...were you born and raised speaking English?

I really wish the programmer would let me take a shot at it, or let someone else doublecheck the translation. I don't want to hurt any feelings but there is a lot of room for improvement on this translation, to say the least.

Is the soundtrack available anywhere in full for listening? :)

I don't think so, but it would be awesome if there were!
physical release(s)
Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:29 am
This is my first time posting on this forum, I'm not a developer but a huge fan of the Master System.

I was wondering which, if any, of the physical copies of this game were "officially" sanctioned by the developer. I know there were 6 very nice complete sets sold by a group called Sega Carts, it seems they've disappeared now. Their website and Instagram accounts are gone. There are a couple copies being sold on ebay at the moment, it looks like neither come with instructions and I'm guessing they were produced by individuals without permission from the developer. Does anyone know the details of these carts? Thanks for the help.

PS If anyone owns one of those 6 made by Sega Carts and wants to sell it, I'll pay good money
Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:15 am
Who can make a romhack to reverse the buttons to:
1 = attack
2 = jump
Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:51 am
ultrahealthy wrote
This is my first time posting on this forum, I'm not a developer but a huge fan of the Master System.

Welcome! You're in good company :D

ultrahealthy wrote
I was wondering which, if any, of the physical copies of this game were "officially" sanctioned by the developer.

eruiz00 (the creator) hasn't been active here lately, so I'll answer that since he might not see your question.

None of the copies are sanctioned by the developer, your guess is correct. I know because I spoke recently to another member of this forum that did have the courtesy to ask for permission, and he told me that eruiz00's answer was that
he wouldn't give his permission, and anybody that wanted a physical copy could make it himself.

If you were willing to "pay good money" I'd rather buy an Everdrive, the only Silver Valley copy right now on Ebay is 100€ (!), for a little more you can buy the Master Everdrive X7.

But since I guess you'd rather have a dedicated cart, I suggest you buy repro PCB boards from member Ichigobankai and make your own cart, Ichigo's board is specifically created to minimize soldering. That's what I intend to do, I'm a Silver Valley fan too.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:37 am
Thank you Jair. I'm not surprised that none of the carts are really "official", it's a homebrew so I don't know if that word applies anyways. There was another physical copy with a box from an American seller for $50 but it sold in the last 24 hours, I should have moved faster.

I mentioned to a person who works at Mega Cat Studios that maybe they could start doing physical releases of homebrew Master System games and was thinking Mr. Ruiz's games would be the best place to look, they seem the most complete to me. But he would probably have to give permission in this case, since Mega Cat is a proper company.

Thanks for the suggestion, yeah I don't do everdrives. I love physical media. 100 euros is a lot though, I'll have to think about it.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:00 am
D wrote
Who can make a romhack to reverse the buttons to:
1 = attack
2 = jump

If you use an 8bitdo controller A will have the same function as C, which allows you to play with attack on the left and jump on the right, as it should be.
Silver Valley
Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:41 pm
I recently purchased a cartridge copy of this game not knowing anything whatsoever about it and have to say that although every early in it looks great and the music is awesome. Looking forward to spending more time on this.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:20 am
I was actually so impressed with Silver Valley that after playing around 12 stages through emulation, I just stopped. I felt it deserves to be played on real hardware.

So in my case I hope the day comes I can make my own repro, or Ichigobankai releases it officially in his store:
https://www.2minds.fr/en/sega-master-system-10

If I recall correctly, he has already discussed it with creator eruiz00, it would be a matter of replacing some assets used by Silver Valley with original ones.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:31 pm
I really would like to watch It released by Ichigo.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:16 pm
Hey Eruiz, please make a release possible. Silver Valley has a lot of potential. Back at the time when Sydney Hunter was released, CollectorVision´s website crashed. So I think there are enough Master System fans out there and Silver Valley would be sold a lot at 2Minds =)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:00 pm
I will contact Eruiz in few weeks to see what we can do.
Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:14 am
Hi Ichigo, did you have the chance to ask Eruiz?
Pretty excited this could see a physical release.
Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:11 am
I've asked 2 times past months without answer
(asked for Galactic Revenge and Silver Valley)
Maybe Eruiz needs times or simply doesn't want a physical release (disappointed by unofficial releases ?), I don't know.

So unfortunately for us, there's nothing planned on my side.
But keep the faith!
Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:59 pm
Really bad news, I would like to see you both working together.

I am also interested.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!